Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit or maybe could reccomend a site to order an HID kit from? also how hard are these kits to install? and i know that coloring all depends on local police but what seems to be a reasonable color that shouldnt be too big of a problem with the local LE

here's the kit im looking at,

http://www.starrotors.com/bulbs/

thanks in advance for any insight:rock

·
Registered
384 Posts
Those pictures on that site look awfully familiar. I think they might belong to a forum member. Anyways, that kit should be fine, color wise, I think any of the lower three should be fine: 3000K up to about 6 maybe even 8000K.

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds good, thanks for the help... i just wasnt sure if the price was too good to be true...

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY DID YOU GET THESE HID'S??

I'M THINKING OF GETTING SOME HID'S AND LED'S
FOR MY 05 R-1.

MY355F1GTS:fork

still haven't ordered them yet... im doin a little bit more research before i decide to purchase them

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
550 Posts
Oh,,,I forgot to let you guys know. If you order from their website they have a coupon code for 5% off any order that I was told about. The code is: thanks1 ....might save you a little bit of money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hid

I recommend not to get those. The ballast looks too big. I recommend to get a digital ballast which is smaller so you can stuff those ballast (2) behind the tach. Just remove the windscreen and put it back there. I had digital ballast and it still barely fit! Just do some research on DIGITAL BALLASTS. Price ranges from 140-170. HID was the best upgrade I've done on my F4i. besides the high mount exhaust. Now I got it for my R1 as well! I think the HID looks good and and drivers are likely to see you better.

·
throw your horns up
104 Posts
i purchased mine from www.xenonrider.com and have never had a problem with them. I got the 8000k, but i wish i went with a less "blue" bulb (i installed white ccfl angel eyes and they're bright white, it would look better with a white bulb). What's nice about xenonrider is that you can get the ultra thin power supplies. I have the regular ones, and it was a pain in the butt getting them under the wind screen and i have a double bubble. Reference your legal question, aftermarket installs of HID lighting is ticketable, but i doubt anyone will care too much, and unless someone rides themselves, they won't know if a yamaha came factory with HID's or not. I wouldn't go as far as to yet the yellow, purple or pink bulbs though, just so you don't attract too much attention to yourself. I will tell you this, i wont ever own a bike without HID's again. The clarity at night is the difference beteween a regular tube tv and a high def plasma (no comparison). I do wish i went with the whiter bulbs even though i get a ton of compliments.

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh,,,I forgot to let you guys know. If you order from their website they have a coupon code for 5% off any order that I was told about. The code is: thanks1 ....might save you a little bit of money.
awesome!! thanks so much!! savin a couple bucks is still savin a couple bucks!!:bow

I recommend not to get those. The ballast looks too big. I recommend to get a digital ballast which is smaller so you can stuff those ballast (2) behind the tach. Just remove the windscreen and put it back there. I had digital ballast and it still barely fit! Just do some research on DIGITAL BALLASTS. Price ranges from 140-170. HID was the best upgrade I've done on my F4i. besides the high mount exhaust. Now I got it for my R1 as well! I think the HID looks good and and drivers are likely to see you better.
the kit im looking at said it did have a smaller ballast but it never said anything about digital ballast... is the only difference between the reuglar and the digital just the size?

i purchased mine from www.xenonrider.com and have never had a problem with them. I got the 8000k, but i wish i went with a less "blue" bulb (i installed white ccfl angel eyes and they're bright white, it would look better with a white bulb). What's nice about xenonrider is that you can get the ultra thin power supplies. I have the regular ones, and it was a pain in the butt getting them under the wind screen and i have a double bubble. Reference your legal question, aftermarket installs of HID lighting is ticketable, but i doubt anyone will care too much, and unless someone rides themselves, they won't know if a yamaha came factory with HID's or not. I wouldn't go as far as to yet the yellow, purple or pink bulbs though, just so you don't attract too much attention to yourself. I will tell you this, i wont ever own a bike without HID's again. The clarity at night is the difference beteween a regular tube tv and a high def plasma (no comparison). I do wish i went with the whiter bulbs even though i get a ton of compliments.

since you say you got the 8000k would you say thats about the same color as say a BMW headlight or is it more of a blue? and as far as the install i've read that the mounting of the ballast is somewhat tricky but other than that, how is the install on these?

thanks again everyone for all the input! i really appreciate it:bow

·
throw your horns up
104 Posts
i just read 415's post. Those ballasts from the site you are considering look to be the same size as the ones i purchased, and they'll fit, with some force, and a lot of swearing. Once they're in and the bike is buttoned back up you wont be able to tell that you stuffed 2 ballasts behind your tach and under the windscreen. Just consider that the smaller ones will make the install easier. Good luck with your choice.

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet thanks i'll take that into consideration... as long as i know they fit... and its not gonna take any crazy modding to make them fit

·
throw your horns up
104 Posts
I'm not really sure, I know they look more blue than my friend's nissan altima. the 6000k look white with a hint of blue. The 8000k look white with more blue, but not that cheesy non HID blue bulb from autozone look. It still looks really good just not pure white.

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not really sure, I know they look more blue than my friend's nissan altima. the 6000k look white with a hint of blue. The 8000k look white with more blue, but not that cheesy non HID blue bulb from autozone look. It still looks really good just not pure white.
alright just curious i originally was looking at i believe the 10000k kit... but from what i've read 8000k seems to be just right if not too much color in those... so i think i've changed my mind...and will most likely go with the 8000k

and also is the install pretty straight forward?

·
throw your horns up
104 Posts
the install is simple. Honestly the hardest part is getting the ballasts behind the windscreen. All you do is insert the bulbs then you drill a hole in your plastic covers and a grommet goes there so the hid bulbs wires can pass through. You hook the bulbs to the ballasts and the ballasts to the original headlight plug and you're ready to go. If you intend to do angel eyes later the 8000k look perfect with the blue rings. The 6000k look perfect with the white ones.

·
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sweet!! i think i've decided!! and yeah the 6000k does look perfect with the white angel eyes.... thanks alot for all the help! i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got the 6000K myself from AnR also. didnt know about the discount thoguh but oh wells, they're great. The ones from the link you offered seemed like the same thing with a different sticker slapped on it. For color i would say white is the best, next time im going to go for the white which is either 4300K or 4000K different places advertise them differently.

·
Registered
84 Posts
VitaminK is right.. I have an 8000k Hids. I love them because its blue... 10000k, you might get a ticket so yeah go for the 6000k or the 8000k. Yeah I believe digital ballast just the size of the ballast but not sure. Im not sure about this but dont angel eyes have 4 box/ballast as well but way way smaller. I would get the digital ballast because its smaller, less stress to install and I have read a lot of ppl who bought HID wish that they got the digital ballast. I say go for it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.