Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Ok, here is something you may try. Since you said you can communicate with your router but not Interent, then it seems that your XP might having problems resolving Internet addresses, and this have probably due to your DNS settings.

Normally, your router will assign you the router's own IP address as your DNS server, which is probably 192.168.1.1 in your case. This should work, but sometimes your computer might don't like this setting. So, you should try putting in the DNS addresses from your ISP. You can get these addresses by login into your Linksys router and then click on "Status".

Then, goto your network card's TCP/IP properties and put those addresses there yourself as your DNS server(s).

If after you've try this, then you can see if it's because of the DNS settings.

:)

Ok, lets say your right val. Your way is pretty simple. Dry and cut instructions. But, if your right, why hasnent it worked for him? We've tryed about everything and it still hasent worked. You know what I think, and I've said it before, is that I should send him a copy of winxppro and kill that fcked up ME he has. Then we'll try your way again. Simple, clean cut. Very easy way. If that doesnt work then we try it my way. As soon as he can get XPpro on his PC, we'll start up the instructions again. And you can go first. I still dont get it though. I had the same setup with my roomie last year and he had....o shit..we only had a switch....Shadow, your not using the switch in the circuit are you? It should go Cablemodem to router then from the 4 port or 8 port router should be your computers with no switch in between. It may sound obvious but Im just trying to go over everything that I can think of.
O and make sure your NOT useing crossover cable inbetween any connection and only CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable.

ImagineParadise said:
Ok, lets say your right val. Your way is pretty simple. Dry and cut instructions. But, if your right, why hasnent it worked for him?
That's a very good question. :( Computer is like a box of chocolat, you'll never know what you're going to get... :lol

Well, right now, I hope he can get at least the Internet working with his XP, then we can look into more of his XP/Me communication. Honestly, I really don't mind which way he uses, I just hope he can get it working.

Anyway, this is a screen shot of my XP settings:

Attachments

ImagineParadise said:
how many computers and what kind of router do you have?

Me-2 computers, Linksys 4port Router (just like Shadow.) cept I dont have that jacked up OS (ME). I switched from 98 on my old one to xp pro. So both 'puters have xp pro
I'm using a Netgear, but this week I'm testing a Linksys with wireless for a friend. I donno, but I just switched the routers and plug-plug-plug, reboot all the machine, still works like before. There is also a laptop with wireless that I'm testing the new WPA security with, just forget the WPA with Linksys for now, they still need a better firmware and driver. Btw, the laptop is on XP and no problem communicating with other machine. The other machines are all plugged to a switch that uplink to the router's switch.

valerossi said:
Guys, really, you do not need anything with NWLink... they are for Novell network with NetWare, and you guys don't have anything with NetWare on your networks. ImagineParadise, trust me, even if you remove all those NWLink stuff, your network will still work... :fact ;)

What is NWLink? Click here.

Look, this is all I've in my settings(Client for MS Network, File sharing..., QoS Scheduler(you don't need this), and TCP/IP), and my network works fine with XP, 98, Me and 2000 machines all in the same network and they all can communicate with each other... :fact

:iamwithst

Here's a solution.... Remove all network drivers and remove all settings that you have messed with. get the machine back to standard settings. Then call me and I will walk you through the process. It will take at the most 20 minutes and you will be done. And yes it will work.... 800-248-4940 ext 102 daytime 7-5pm pt

Shadow, I haven't read the whole thread, but just skimmed it. How is your network topolgy?

WWW --> Router | -> Your computer (ME?))
| -> wife's computer (XP?)

The above meaning that both your wife's and your computers plug directly into the router.

-or-

WW -> Router -> wife's computer -> your computer (meaning you share your connection thru your wife's computer)

If it's the second one, you need to ensure that you have network sharing enabled on the machine connected to the router, which is in fact your router.

If it's the first one, and both systems are plugged into the router, then it might be something else. Try doing this from the system you're having problems with from the command line:

ping 66.111.62.111 (should get either 4 responses or 4 fails)

ping r1-forum.com (same as above, or an unknown host message)

If you can ping by IP number, then it's a DNS issue. If you can't ping either, then it's a routing issue.

Can ping via IP number but not name: 1) If it's the first topology, mimic the network settings on your ME system as they are on the XP system (or whichever OS it is that can cruise the web) and reboot. 2) If it's the second topology, and your system is going thru a internest sharing protocol, try setting up the DNS server and gateway settings as the IP of your other system that is sharing.

Also, if you are using the second network topology (going thru another desktop for internet sharing) make sure that you're using static IP's and not using DHCP.

Shoot me a PM if you want. I have a couple of other questions and might be able to help you out but I need some more info if possible.

if you can get to your wife's pc, then the local network is ok. see if you can ping your DNS server. click start, run, type CMD and hit enter.
type ipconfig /all. look for your gateway IP. also look for the DNS server. type ping <your gateway IP>. if its says 'reply'... then your local network up to your router is ok. if not run an ipconfig/release and then Ipconfig/renew. if your local network is ok, ping your DNS server by typing: ping <your DNS server IP> . if it says reply, then you should be able to connect to the internet. it if says no, you're foucked. just kidding. ...if it says request timed out, then your router does not have the correct DNS server setting and it probably isn't talking to your ISP. call your ISP for the right settings and make sure your router has those config.

fjorn said:

WWW --> Router | -> Your computer (ME?))
| -> wife's computer (XP?)

Hey fjorn!

What are you doing here? Shadow is not running "Linux XP"! :lol

Don't listen to him, Shadow!

j/k man... :lol

valerossi said:
Hey fjorn!

What are you doing here? Shadow is not running "Linux XP"! :lol

Don't listen to him, Shadow!

j/k man... :lol

Just trying to help a brother help :thumbup

Actually, there's hidden subliminal messages within all my posts that say "Dump Windows... Linux is the answer to all your problems" :sneaky

:lol :lol

BTW, to answer your question IP, I've got over 10 systems on my home network. :sneaky

Discussion starter · #71 ·
For fjorn...

I have a Linksys cablemodem connected to a Linksys Wireless G router.
My computer is connected right to the router.
My wife's computer has a wireless G network card and connects to the access point.

My wife's computer can access the internet. Mine cant.
I can now access her computer but she cannot access mine (but that is ok :) )

Shadow R One said:
For fjorn...

I have a Linksys cablemodem connected to a Linksys Wireless G router.
My computer is connected right to the router.
My wife's computer has a wireless G network card and connects to the access point.

My wife's computer can access the internet. Mine cant.
I can now access her computer but she cannot access mine (but that is ok :) )
Out of curiosity, is there anything that you need to enable on the wireless router for the LAN line? I bring this up because many wireless systems I believe are coming with wireless security already implemented.

Many people I know who are using wireless, and setting it up so that the wireless systems are on a separate network from the physical cable connections due to the possibility of security breach. I wonder if this might be the case, and you need to enable communications (or simply put, switch a bit) by either checking a box, or making a route add statement on your wireless access point.

I don't have any useful knowledge on wireless, unfortunately so I'm going off what I know for standard networking. Is your wife's computer a laptop, or did you just not want to run a LAN line to your wife's system (if it's a desktop)? :dunno

Just glanced at your issue but dns is not an issue if your a workgroup and not running a dns server( install netbios for workgroups)and being that your using private addresses( not routable so its not a routing issue).

I suggest blowing away your TCP/IP stack and redoing it. Add MS client, sharing, TCP, and netbios.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.