Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Another network question

3K views 72 replies 13 participants last post by  CCIE2BE 
#1 ·
I dont get it...
Here is my setup:
I have a Linksys cable modem going to a linksys wireless G router.
My computer is plugged right into the router. My wife's computer has a wireless G card.

Well, the wireless portion works great! Both computers connect to the internet just fine.
My wife's computer can access my computer just fine but mione cannot even see hers on the network :confused: I know it has to be working since I can save files on my computer from hers... I dont get it.

My computer is rinning XP Pro and hers is Win ME. I am not runing any firewall program on either computer and I disabled the winxp pro built in firewall...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

#2 ·
Have you shared the hard drive on her computer? That will have to be done in order for you to see her. File and print sharing will need to be enabled as well, as well as making sure that the workgroup name is the same as what's on the XP machine.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
The workgroup shoudl already be the same since it is working from hers to mine
Let me check for sharing...

#9 ·
#10 ·
Btw, make sure both of your computers has "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" running.

;)

#11 ·
When I try to access the network I get an error telling me that the network is not started... WTF does that mean?

#12 ·
Shadow R One said:
When I try to access the network I get an error telling me that the network is not started... WTF does that mean?
What did you just changed this time?

Btw, was your machine just booted up when you got that message?

:)

#13 · (Edited)
ugh, noobs, watch this...

Go into your Network settings..
Thats
Start, Settings, Network.
Then Right click your network.
Be sure to have the following installed AND checked...
~CLIENTS~
-Client for MSN
~SERVEICE~
-File and Printer Sharing For MSN
~PROTOCALLS (you might need your windows disk) to install
-NWLink Net BIOS
-NWLink IPX/SPX Net BIOS Compadible Transport PRotocall
-Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)

If you have all these installed and checked then what you need to so is uninstall and reinstall them again. THEN restart all your comupters. This should work. If not, I have a lot more suggestions but first try that.

BE SURE TO DO THIS ON ALL COMUTERS

AD make sure you right clicked the hard drives of all the computers and under "Sharing and security" make sure on ALL computers that you have the right boxes checked. (on my network I have all my computers HD sharing with each other with no limitations.)

#14 ·
No, you DO NOT need NWLink Net BIOS nor NWLink IPX/SPX, both of these are for Novell.

All you need are:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
TCP/IP

;)

#16 ·
Btw,

You may as well try to run the Network Setup Wizard on your XP. This is what I really hate about XP, those stupid wizards.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessoires -> Communications

Honestly, before you do anything, if you say you can access the files of your computer from your wife's, then I would definitely check out her setup first. Cause it seems that your XP is having no problem showing up on the network.

;)

#18 ·
ImagineParadise said:
xp wizards??!?!? lol booooooo
Yeah I know, I hate it too, especially the network one. I've seen so many problems caused by that stupid wizard. Most people has run this wizard when they first installed XP, cause it will come out automatically, but it's really sucks and make things even worst.

;)

#20 ·
ImagineParadise said:
You get it working Shadow?
Fook no:cryin I did what you said except that I couldnot remoce the tcp/ip on my computer. I reinstalled the other ones and nothing... Now my computer wont even access the net...nothing
It just sits there and taunts me. And to make things better I cant access my computer with my wifes :(
Atleast the wife's computer can access the net...

#21 ·
Shadow R One said:
Fook no:cryin I did what you said except that I couldnot remoce the tcp/ip on my computer. I reinstalled the other ones and nothing... Now my computer wont even access the net...nothing
It just sits there and taunts me. And to make things better I cant access my computer with my wifes :(
Atleast the wife's computer can access the net...
:(

I told you the problem is most likey on your wife's side, cause your XP did show up on the network before.

Anyway, trust me, you don't need those NWLink IPX things, they are for Novell "NetWare"... "NW"Link... ;)

Just remove those and reinstall Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and make sure you have TCP/IP.

Then try to run that Network Setup Wizard again.

Or...

For the advanced way... goto:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

On the top menus, you will see Advanced, go and select Advanced Settings, make sure you see those Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks bindings checked.

Btw, you said now that your wife cannot access your computer anymore, make sure you didn't have the build-in Firewall enabled, cause they might re-enabled for you when you run that wizard thing.

;)

#23 ·
plus, be sure under your network settings...thats,

Start-Settings-Network Connections,
~right click your network, then highlight your TCP/IP and hit properties.
Then check to see if you have your IP and DNS obtained automaticly. Then, hit advanced. Make sure that ONLY the DHCP is enabled and click on over to the DNS tab.

Make sure that your Primary and Parent suffixes are checked. And check the registerd for DNS close to the bottem. Then under the WINS tab, be sure to have the "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" is clicked, along with the "default" net bios settings.
One more thing is to check your router IP page to make sure you have it set up correctly.
Hope this helps!

#25 ·
THe problem right now is thatMYcomputer is all fcuked. Mine cant do shit right now. Hers works just fine...
I need to get mine to be ableto connect to the internet first and then I can tackle the network issue. I feel castrated now that my computer wont let me get email :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.