Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· #BikeLife
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Head Is Pounding... from all the searching to what type of oil to what weight... is there any simple answer out there... I've deciede to use the KN-303 oil filter but im not sure what oil to use. i hear people talk about different types of weights in many many searches and threads ive looked at.. is 10W40 safe to use on the 2006 Yam R1? I live in a state where i see 4 seasons year-round... I will be looking into Shell Rotella or Mobil 1 ... any other brands to consider? not looking to break my arms and legs over some oil... This will be my first time changing the oil on the R1.. How many Qt's does it require?

Thank you!

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts
10w40 is fine and recommended unless you are in a really hot climate most of the year. (and even then it is fine) As for the brand, you will open up a big discussion but either of what you listed is fine. A lot of people use Amsoil on here with great results but you are going to pay for it.

· #BikeLife
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So 10W40 or 5W40 .. both are safe to use? The shell rotella is def a bang for the buck... but im also looking to try the Mobil 1 4T..

Another question.. Im also gonna be doing a coolant flush while the fairings are taken off the bike.. I live where i see 4 seasons so what would be the best coolant for the bike? Engine ice or just some green coolant?

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts
So 10W40 or 5W40 .. both are safe to use? The shell rotella is def a bang for the buck... but im also looking to try the Mobil 1 4T..

Another question.. Im also gonna be doing a coolant flush while the fairings are taken off the bike.. I live where i see 4 seasons so what would be the best coolant for the bike? Engine ice or just some green coolant?
I wouldn't use 5w40, the manual specifically lists (or at least it did the last time I looked at it) 10w40 not 5w40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.