Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here we go, 90% of my riding is back and forth to work, 15miles round trip. dont really have the time to ride anywhere else. i'm using Repsol 4T racing which is the full synthetic one. i'm only at 15XX miles on current oil, is it too early to change oil, would i be wasting my money doing it now. it doesn't get ridden hard. waste or not? what you think?

· The Original One
2,291 Posts
here we go, 90% of my riding is back and forth to work, 15miles round trip. dont really have the time to ride anywhere else. i'm using Repsol 4T racing which is the full synthetic one. i'm only at 15XX miles on current oil, is it too early to change oil, would i be wasting my money doing it now. it doesn't get ridden hard. waste or not? what you think?
I can't back it up with facts or figures but I have been running full synthetic on the road with oil & filter changes at 3000 miles (approx).

Next time I am going to semi syth as I believe I have been wasting money because I change the oil & filter relatively frequently.

From posts here I believe I am increasing oil consumption too, although minor it does disappear and apparently semi is better in this respect too.

I will leave it to the experts for further advice and also watch the thread with interest as I am soon due another oil & filter change..

· Registered
122 Posts
So at 9k miles, semi synthetic is preferable to full synthetic? I am debating, cuz I just bought the R1 used through a dealer and I do not know what kind of oil the previous owner used. Thanx.

· The Original One
2,291 Posts
So at 9k miles, semi synthetic is preferable to full synthetic? I am debating, cuz I just bought the R1 used through a dealer and I do not know what kind of oil the previous owner used. Thanx.
I am not saying semi is better, merely stating that apparently semi is suggested as better for oil consumption but all are also dependant on frequency/mileage of oil changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.