Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a Job on the weekend to do Night Club security and was wondering if anyone does it/did it and has anything to say about it?

Understanding that the posibility of anyone shooting up the place is RARE and that someone even having a gun is RARE. I know that you American chaps have a 95% chance of someone shooting shiz up, but in Oz we don't.

Someone slashing about with a knife is more likely what's going to happen, but I have that under-control.

I did it for about 3 months in 92-93 but the place I was working sucked and I spent most of the nights fighting.

The place I was offered is a top shelf place - full of nice ladies and respectable boys. Mostly "E" takers and "Speed" eaters. Not really troublesome Mofo's.

Anyone have any war stories/advice?

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I worked off duty at clubs for years. X-men are real easy to deal with and not violent at all. The only bad thing about clubs to me was the alcohol. You always got that one drunk ass who was given mystical strength from the lords of Corona. Then you beat the crap out of them and they complain or try to file charges on you . A problem that always came up for the bouncers I worked with was " Liability " and "workmans comp" . Make sure that the club owner is willing to accept liability for your actions and also for any injurie you may sustain while working for them. Other than that it was always cake. Taking care of business was always easy because 99% of the people who cause trouble were drunk. And you can out think and outfight them on a bad day.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I was once a bouncer at a gay bar with tons of drag queens. I quit because I got tired of getting my face slapped, my hair pulled and getting whacked on the head with spiked heeled shoes.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Zippy, if you edit that we won't even remember you wrote it ok.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Petrol for me it was ok, I made excellent money at most of my gig's 30-50.00 an hour cash at the end of the night. But for the bouncers that worked with me I think their pay was crappy and they were'nt covered for the risk they took. It was most definately fun but the reason I stopped was I saw one person too many shot over some bull crap. The last shooting was over backing out of a parking space.

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah see, I don't know about that. Shootings are still rare in Oz. So I don't think I'll have to worry about that. Bashings, Gang Bashings are rife so I think I'd need to worry more about that.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Make sure they got your back on the liability in case you have to open a fresh case of whoopass and pass some out to the crowd.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I was a bouncer at a club before being moved up to the bar... it was pretty cool, got to mingle with all the ladies and most clubs dont mind if you drink as long as you can do your job

worst thing that ever happened was getting stabbed in the chest with a small pocket knife... three stitches and I was fine. Ive only seen one gun and we only saw it after the dude was kicked out and wanted to come back in...

otherwise the money is good and the job is fun... one of the only Ive had where I looked forward to showing up

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vin,

That's why I want to give it a shot. Seems like something I would like to do.

Ps what do you do know?

·
....rONE....
805 Posts
I did it for my first 3 years in college, so you can imagine the drunk brawls we've had...but like solidus said, make sure your job has your back on whatever actions you need to take in order to protect the other people in the club but most importantly yourself. I've heard some bad stories from other bars about how the management didnt back up the employee once the police showed up. The only reason I left it is cuz I got tired of watching the bartenders walk out with over $300 a night and I only walked out with $100...so now I'm bartending....

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
Don't forget the most important thing .................................................................................. You must watch the all time greatest bouncer training video "Roadhouse"!

·
http://jiggyjigg.com/ipb
452 Posts
Petrol* A Good friend is bouncer at Stock Exchange and Gpo.~ Where are you looking to work at? ~ What company are you looking to work for, there is only really 2 in brisbane that do all the major clubs.

~R~

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Petrol_spice said:
Vin,

That's why I want to give it a shot. Seems like something I would like to do.

Ps what do you do know?
I bartend now.. same club

·
mit gas
395 Posts
ive worked for many establishments here's some pointers,,,,#1-DO NOT DRINK,,,,,#2-the best way to end a fight is to stop it before it happens ie: watch, make sure bartenders/waitresses let you know of aggressive behavior,,,,,#3 learn hold techniques,,,,,#4 ALWAYS have backup

·
www.Sherdog.com
821 Posts
Solidus said:
I made excellent money at most of my gig's 30-50.00 an hour cash at the end of the night.
DAMN!

I worked security here in DC for several clubs (off and on) and didn't make anything, usually about $100 cash a night, and that was starting around 9:30 and finally getting out of there around 4:00. We always end up sitting around for HOURS after the clubs close to get paid.

Totally not worth it for me. The only positive was the hookup at all of the other clubs, and sometimes the honeys.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
I work my second job as a plain clothes security officer at a department store. The worst thing I've had to deal with there were three hot girls stealing 2 grand worth of merchandise, 30 thongs included. I also work summers as a security officer at a Six Flags amusement park. Excellent scenery, but you have to deal with the drunken idiots, especially at the concerts. I am gonna have to jump on the bandwagon with Solidus. Make sure your ass is covered in case of the inevitable situation where you have to deliver some punishment to an unruly patron. :rant :argue

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is no need for violence, at lest not from me. If someone in my[he he] club wants to :argue @ me I'll be like :confused: I don't need to throw punches and I have had many blues in recent years and I haven't thrown a single punch, there is no need. After reading "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Mushashi my race face and tech for a barney has changed heaps. Let me put it to you in a differnent manner: I was once the type of guy that in a violent situation was all "Nine Inch Nails" You know "I wanna f_ck you like an animal!" now I'm all Beetles "I wanna hold you hand!"

In Brisbane it's not that you work for a club, you work for a Security Co. who is subcontracted to the club for it's security, therefore I will get my 30 quid an hour, my 8.9% super my 4 weeks leave a year and 1 months notice if they want to sack my a$$.

:rant :corn :sneaky

1 - 20 of 22 Posts