Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
w00t
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, any one ever do this? as a job . it seems fun, im planning on taking a little 4 week course on how to prepair drinks and such. 400 dollar course isn't that bad in my opinion. it would give me an idea of how things work..
and maybe if i can get good i could have some fun with this job...
just wondering if anyone has any input on this topic.
Thanks.
:beer

·
We love the subs!
3,302 Posts
It's fun at first, but that depends on what bar/club you work at. Inevitably, the late hours, working for tips, and constantly dealing with wasted people becomes old. It is nice to learn the drinks, but you don't need a $400 course to do that. Just go buy a bartenders guide at any bookstore for $20.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i agree with speed master. go online man...the drinks recipe is freeee..dont waste your 400 dollars. go buy some new tires or something.

·
w00t
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the thing is. i wouldnt know what i was doing, i need some first hand experience, reading a book wont do it for me.
you always say to take riding lessons to learn to ride, whats the difference with a bartending course. money isnt an issue right now, 400 bucks to learn something i have no idea about, ill do it for sure.
just wondering about the job, would it be fun, any one ever do it before?
i cant do 4 years in a college. so i like to take courses, to find out what the **** i want to be/do for a living!
thanks for you input thus far.

·
Know Your Role!!
1,041 Posts
:hellobye

I bartended for 12 years at a few places here in Ottawa as well as a heli ski resort in BC.

Bartending is a great way to make money! I paid for my university with my tips so I wouldn't incur any student loan debts. The bonus of bartending is that you have the majority of your days free to do whatever...skiing, golfing, riding, etc. But it does take a toll on you. Speedmaster summed it all up. Don't think that because you take a bartending course that you will get a job as a bartender yet alone a job at a hot club. I started out as a busboy then became the day bartender at an upscale restaurant for one year before I even got the busy night shifts. I never took a course. I just bought "Mulligan's Bar Guide" at a bookstore and just highlighted the popular drinks and then just watched and learned.

I used to see lots of "bartending students" who would do their co-op placement at our club for a week. Yeah, they knew their drinks but had zero personality. I'm sorry but you can have all the bar knowledge in the world but if you can't talk to your customers, you're no good to anyone!! Out of the 20 or so students I saw, let's see...how many got hired...ummmm...none!!

I don't mean to sound negative but I'm just giving you my observations. My advice to you is...learn the drinks, be outgoing and personable, and try to get get a job as a bar-runner at one of the bars or clubs in your city. You'll pick up bar knowledge very quickly and if you're good you'll eventually get a shift or two on the bar!!

I hope that helps!! :beer :yesnod

·
w00t
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hey Scream10, thanks man, that helped alot. out of all my friends im the most outgoing. love to talk, and can make most people laugh. i can be loud at times, and get your attition with a snap of my fingers. so i like to wish.
whats the best way to go get a job at a bar.. I know ill start low, like an air show or something, or an indy race.. yes i know i have to learn my stuff. and move up to clubs, if i get that far. is it like any other job, get your resumes out, say youll start low and work your way up...
what is it call, a bar runner? or a barback, something to that effect?
thanks man.

·
Know Your Role!!
1,041 Posts
Yeah, it's called a bar-runner or barback. As for where you should apply for a job...well, just get your resume out to as many places as possible. Be willing to start out as a busser or a barback. Make sure that you present yourself a clean image...in other words don't dress like a slob. Definitely be outgoing but don't overdo it! Definitely don't be an immmature goof, in other words act like you are mature enough to handle responsibility and try not to portray an image of a partier!! Believe me...it is very easy to get caught up in the party lifestyle. I never got caught up in that rather I was very responsible with my cash. Like I said earlier, it does wear you out. As you get older it seems like everyone around you becomes more immature! I got out of it after I got a job as a beer rep. I still get to be a part of the bar atmosphere which is still very exciting.

Oh yeah, get your "Serving It Right" certificate...you'll need it to serve drinks!

Anyway, if you have any other questions just ask!!

Cheers!!! :beer :boobies :fact :yesnod

·
We love the subs!
3,302 Posts
I used to be a manager of a well known night club here in Minnesota. It did help me pay for college, but I am glad that it is over. I have a total of 5 years as manager in clubs and I don't care if I ever step in another club again. I can tell you this, for the hot clubs, it is who you know. Some bartenders that we hired couldn't mix a drink to save their lives, but if they found ways to keep the customers coming back, the mixing came with time. A resume is good, but honestly, for the popular clubs where the money is, resumes come in from very experienced bartenders every day. So, get to know a few of the bartenders and staff. Frequent the place often so that they all know your personality. DO NOT DATE ANY OF THE EMPLOYEES. Remember, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

·
Know Your Role!!
1,041 Posts
:iamwithst

I agree with what R1SpeedMaster said about the hottest clubs!! In those cases it is definitely who you know! It also helps if you're good looking!

:beer :boobies

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I bartend... the best way IMO is to apply as a bus-boy or barback, whatever they are called in your city. From there, you can learn the routine and what drinks are most popular in that club. most of the time, if you learn the key drinks/shots, then the majority of the hard work is done. if a customer asks for something Ive never heard of, Ill just ask what color it is and make something up... pretty easy

I work at a pretty big club in a college town and my hours range from 8pm to as late as 3am. usually up by noon, so I schedule my school between 1and 6 pm. bartenders/barbacks make around $2 an hour but the tips for a back range from $60 - $120 a night... and as a bartender, Ive rarely left the club with less than $150 in my pocket... and sometimes we have private partys where the prpmoters will drop a bill or two in your tip jar... GREAT JOB!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts