Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Share your experiences here. What state are you in? was you scared? did you almost get caught? was there more than 1 cop chasing you? etc...

If you haven't done it yet, would you ever do it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have never ran myself but have gotten lit up and ignored it while entering bumper to bumper traffic, here in La, cops can't follow you that easily if you are on a bike and they are in a car and you hit traffic. No license plate visible so he couldn't tag me. Other than doing that a few time, I've never ran but no a few people that have . One in particular did it a few times and got caught once, did a year in jail.

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
19 yrs ago ran once from a single CHP after passing him in a line of traffic on a on ramp. It's a sweet turn from Hwy 58 west onto Hwy 99 south. You can rail on the inside passing everyone else making the transition. He put his lights on but I don't know if it could really be considered as being chased because he was stuck & I wasn't. Bailed on the next off ramp and made a left turn followed by a quick right and went to my girlfriend's house. Put the bike in the garage and stayed the night. I was scared and have never ran on purpose since.

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,272 Posts
I plead the fifth.

My '03 R1 is sitting in the Highway Patrol impound since April of this year. A friend was on it and was one of two that got caught. There was a total of 27 police/trooper cars and a helicopter towards the end

He got charged with a felony. I will be getting the bike back in December--luckily.

All I know is there were a few others that got away that night. :thumbup

·
Dept. of Redundancy Dept.
84 Posts
I have but not on a bike ..and not so much running from them because the cop never had a chance to get behind me with his lights on. I'll explain.

Me and a buddy were in my car driving on a busy street close to my house. We see a copy giving someone a ticket and this person was someone we went to school with. So my buddy yelled out the window "hahaha, got busted by the #$*@#% pigs!" or some crap like that.

The cop jumped in his car and at that point I turned the corner and went as fast as my car could go. Made another turn and saw him in my mirror about a mile behind as I made the turn. Then like the post above, got to my house, turned off my lights and sat there. The copy went flying by about 80mph. Luckily it was dark.

I didn't do anything wrong so why was I worried?
My car was lowered, tinted windows, too loud, all kinds of fix-a-ticket stuff.

At my age now I would never do that...well maybe..

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
hooligan_r1 said:
I plead the fifth.

My '03 R1 is sitting in the Highway Patrol impound since April of this year. A friend was on it and was one of two that got caught. There was a total of 27 police/trooper cars and a helicopter towards the end

He got charged with a felony. I will be getting the bike back in December--luckily.

All I know is there were a few others that got away that night. :thumbup

Great answer!!:thumbup
Sucks but that is the consequence of running...felony charges:scared

Hope your bike comes back in good shape

·
N-I-T-R-O-U-S R1
20 Posts
never ran - no way should ya......but my r1 now is the 11th
bike went through, been arrested been in jail lost license and
$4000. + in attorney fee . . . . but remember... life is only
once and never sorry for what i did, only what i did'nt do !

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,272 Posts
crazyclimbr said:
Great answer!!:thumbup
Sucks but that is the consequence of running...felony charges:scared

Hope your bike comes back in good shape
I know that after seeing what happened to the two that got caught, it's hard to have any reason to run again.

My bike is in good shape there. I get it back after the guy that used it gets sentenced. If it was his bike, he'd have no chance of getting it back.

·
Rock out with my Kock out!!!
309 Posts
I kinda ran once...see the cop had just come out of a starbucks and and I was cruzing by on one wheel. I saw him drop his cup and point at me, but since my brother lived like only a mile away I tock off and chilled their for a couple hours.....a couple of my friends that were at the starbucks (answers to why I did the wheelie) send he ran to his car and tryed to follow me but I was already long gone.....

·
raise
171 Posts
I am 3 and 0, but live in a rural place with federal cops ie: RCMP. They are usually patrolling alone and have no air support. All instances they were traveling toward me and once I saw them I opened it up. I was out of sight before they had a chance to turn around and pursue. Also it helped that I was close to a place where I could chill.The first time was 30 years ago the last was recently A few times I don't even think they bothered to turn around s . You can usually see the reaction on their face and sometimes they turn their lights on the instant they get past you before they turn around.

If the cops are just sitting idle and watching you go past you know there is a road block up ahead !!!! Once you get ahead out of sight it it better to turn left across the traffic where there are no witnesses to rat you out.

It also helps to be on a secondary road or if you are on a interstate to be close tio an exit. Getb somewhere where you can hide the bike and chill for a bit.

·
Banned
131 Posts
iv never really been chased i mostly just get "warning" lights when im going to fast on the freeway as soon as i slow down the police just pass by me. oddly enough my first bike was a cbr 929 with an expired washington plate and i havent even botherd to stick on the plates on my new bike.

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,769 Posts
I tried once and got caught. Me and a buddy were on our way home from watching the Amature Races. We'd been on the road for 10 hours and were about 30 minutes from his house where I was gonna spend the night. It was 11 at night and about 38 degrees out. The cop lit us up but all I could think about was getting off the bike and having a hot shower, so we both gunned it. We got away but as we crested a hill at 150+ we noticed that the road was closed... we later found out that there had been a train wreck earlier in the day. Anyway, by the time we got stopped and turned around the cop had caught back up to us. Took it court and got a speeding ticket... 19 over... 3 points and 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would be lying if i said no, but thats all im saying. Its not clever and i didnt like doing it. Never again. :no

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
R6 Matt said:
I tried once and got caught. Me and a buddy were on our way home from watching the Amature Races. We'd been on the road for 10 hours and were about 30 minutes from his house where I was gonna spend the night. It was 11 at night and about 38 degrees out. The cop lit us up but all I could think about was getting off the bike and having a hot shower, so we both gunned it. We got away but as we crested a hill at 150+ we noticed that the road was closed... we later found out that there had been a train wreck earlier in the day. Anyway, by the time we got stopped and turned around the cop had caught back up to us. Took it court and got a speeding ticket... 19 over... 3 points and 100 bucks.
wow... I always thought you go to jail if you ran away from a cop.

·
I ride for the checkered flag!
77 Posts
I plead the 5th.

Everyone has access to the web.

I watch my P's and Q's online.

Btw, some cop in Ohio busted some guy that he chased that was bragging about it online. Guy was selling bike or something like that and cop came to his house as a buyer, and got him to talk about the internet and the seller mentioned that he frequents a certain forum and told him the name he chats under thinking it was just another guy he was talking to. Little did he know the pursuing buyer was the cop he ran from and BAM, got cuffed and his posts were used as evidence. Read it on some STUNT forum here in OHIO.

Some love the thrill of busting people, I do my best to keep a low profile about my riding techniques on the road.;) :fact

·
R-1's are the ****!!!
10 Posts
NickHayabusa said:
I plead the 5th.

Everyone has access to the web.

I watch my P's and Q's online.

Btw, some cop in Ohio busted some guy that he chased that was bragging about it online. Guy was selling bike or something like that and cop came to his house as a buyer, and got him to talk about the internet and the seller mentioned that he frequents a certain forum and told him the name he chats under thinking it was just another guy he was talking to. Little did he know the pursuing buyer was the cop he ran from and BAM, got cuffed and his posts were used as evidence. Read it on some STUNT forum here in OHIO.

Some love the thrill of busting people, I do my best to keep a low profile about my riding techniques on the road.;) :fact

since im not sellin my bike i dont give a shit...i've ran twice...both times the cops turn on my at about 140+ and both times they got there ass smoked:D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts