Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I finished cleaning up the calipers, discs and pads on my R1. However, when It came time to put everything back together, I 'forgot' to replace those wide "flatish" springs that the pad retaining pins go through. The result? My front wheel spins WAY more freely than it did before. With a moderate effort, the front wheel will spin at least two complete revolutions. There's very little drag on the wheel now.

Those springs kept the pads against the rotors moreso than they are right now, i.e. without the springs in place. After checking and asking around on the R1 forum, I found out that a lot of guys have ditched them long ago. In fact, when I was looking at a lot of the after market racing calipers, none of them use that OEM spring. As an added bonus, with the spring gone, the caliper will stay a little cleaner as air can blow through there more easily.

I was just wondering how many of you guys have tossed that useless spring? BTW, I'm not referring to the small, thin spring/shims on the sides of the brake pads, but the large one on the backside of the caliper. I saw a pic of it once, but couldn't find it when I went to search for it again. I'm pretty sure a few of you guys have done this.

(Thanks again for the help Martin! :thumbup )

Thanks for reading,
S.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
quick6r said:
Yep, thats the piece that I was thinking of. Anyone have notice a difference after removing them???
I gained 15 hp when I took them off.

:crash

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are 'supposed' to keep the pads from rattling, yet I noticed no real difference in sound. Like I said in my post, the front wheel spins more freely and the calipers are most likely going to stay cleaner since that piece won't be there to act as a dam against the brake dust and road dust/dirt. It'll blow through easier.

The only thing I did was bend the small retaining pins that keep the brake pad holding pin from moving side to side.

The pads will sit next to the disc, but they won't have the pressure of the spring keeping them in place. You 'may' notice a little extra noise, but only when you first apply the brakes. Between my helmet and earplugs, I'm hard pressed to hear a small squeak or rattle.

Give it a try, guys, and report back to us with what you find out.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
sharkattack said:

Give it a try, guys, and report back to us with what you find out.
Eh...I'll let you do that. Doesn't bother me that they are on, and the little resistance that the wheel will encounter with them installed doesn't bother me either.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
johneracer said:
Seriously something like that you cant possibly feel....just let it go..
I never said you could feel it. When the bike is on the front stand, however, there is less resistance on the pads. I did it mostly because it was a pain to get them lined up with the pads/retaining pins. Many aftermarket calipers do not utilize this pad anyway.

I just tossed this out if anyone was interested, I never made any claims as to feeling a difference while riding.:2bitchsla

·
Registered
44 Posts
i said screw it and yanked the entire brake system and wow what difference that makes only drawback i have found so far is that im now having to rebuild the bike for the third time but im pretty sure it will get better

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
quick6r said:
Nice.......... thats what I was looking for. I'll give it a try tonight.

Gotta love all the smartass replies from people who have nothing better to do.:bs
Yes....sadly i'm only a postwhore here....:(

:moto:

·
My gixxer eats you!
2,152 Posts
Calling Joke....Dr. Joke, has any heard of Dr. Joke???

Sorry Sabian, I dont believe anyone has ever heard of a joke on here before :dunno

·
1 Sick Individual
3,092 Posts
Leave them off. Just make sure your pins are secure and dont have any way to come out. U dont need them. They only serve to lkeep dust down. U wont even notice so why leave them on? Most race bikes dont have them and I dont either... Bike rides same as it did before I took them off..

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
leave them out and also make sure your pads do not fit tightly in the caliper and your wheel should spin easier. the 04/05 pads fit really loose and offer almost no grag on the wheel. Also clean your calipers and bleed your brakes if you have'nt done so for a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
raven1133 said:
i said screw it and yanked the entire brake system and wow what difference that makes only drawback i have found so far is that im now having to rebuild the bike for the third time but im pretty sure it will get better

Hehehehe......lol...Im sure that there can be more things that we can discuss on how to reduce drag on our bikes......How about polishing those little little screws that hold the windscreen on, I am sure that will get the drag coefficient down and make our bikes more aerodinamic whil reducing turbulance. Mu rough estimate so far is about 8 HP and 14mph top speed increase...... :rock

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,272 Posts
raven1133 said:

Now that was some funny shit!! :yesnod :lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.