Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone busted their a** flipping backwards. I was wondering how bad you would be injured, and if anyone had some stories.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Have seen a mate loop his bike doing a sit down mono. He wasnt injured too baly,wearing fullgear-fell on his ass then back. Mainly bruising and sore,no major injuries..

The bike on the other hand...:no

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
no i havent thats why bikes have a back brake

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Yep, I pulled one up at about 65. All I remember is a scraping sound then I'm doing the back stoke down the road. They said I got it back down then laid it over. Hurt my knee a little and got both sides of the bike. Just had it painted 3 weaks earlier.

·
Redlinin'
1,420 Posts
As a newbie, I thought that clutching a 1st gear wheelie was the way to go. :crash I didn't take the initiative to ask instructions, just tried it on my own, and there was nothing a back brake could have done to help me.

Now I know better, and know that second gear clutches are the better way to go. I'm still learning, and taking it really slowly.

As far as injuries, I suffered a contusion of the right knee, and severely bruised the left, and my tailbone still gets sore if I sit in one place too long. Also the first time ever on crutches.:2bitchsla

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I've been lucky so far. I had a dream last night that I flipped my bike back and I was ok but the bike was totalled. I guess thats why I was thinking about it this morning. I have a friend who's bike just about did a full backflip he had to be airlifted to the hospital. he doesn't remember anything. I dont know how he came back so hard(what was he thinking)He must have redlined it and popped the clutch. I dont know but i guess he is lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I flipped my R6 I was up in air in first gear when I slipped in my seat and lost control ended up twisting the throttle and fell off at about 55 to 60. I just slid on my ass watching my bike flip after flip. It ended up being totaled.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I've been riding wheelies since 1990 on street bikes. I've never looped but I've come damn close. I can carry the front wheel on my R1, sitting down or standing up, pretty much forever whichout incident.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
onewheelup.... LMAO at your sig :finger

·
Regulating Grattan
190 Posts
Yep, flipped my buddies 929 at about 70 in a t-shirt and jeans...:2bitchsla Luckily, I walked away with "only" serious road rash and about 40 stiches in my knee. Bike was a ball of scrap.

Crashing Sucks.:finger

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the best thing to do when it happens is to curl up? it seem s like you would have some broken ankles or something.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
On my yamaha Raptor I pulled a 3 gear wheelie and leaned back to far. My grab bar and exhaust slid about 35 feet on the ground :(...i didnt get hurt, i just held onto the machine as it slid along and hoped i wouldnt fall off.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
i was trying to find the video of a guy trying to clucth first gear and it lifts the back off the ground second he lets off the cluth cant rember if it was uponone or on a las vegas extremes think about it i think it is on las vegas extremes

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
Some close calls (oh sh!ts), but never all the way over. You should know ahead if she is going over too far. First gear IMO should be the only reason it comes up so fast that you can't recover, and even then you should have known that it was too much throttle. But hey, we all love to play with that power.

·
ymp
908 Posts
roblei1 said:
I guess the best thing to do when it happens is to curl up? it seem s like you would have some broken ankles or something.
I my case, I was doing 80+ , 2nd gear, the bike came back too far and kind of gently laid me down on the asphalt :no , well anyway, I slid for a pretty long distance on my back, and only tumbled a few times at the end. I think If I would have attemped to curl up, it would have started the tumbling proccess sooner, and IMHO, I think you are more likly to get injured worse...... I was fortionate that my bike came back and then fell on the left (non exhaust) side and slid. Would still be crying if my akra had gotten trashed.....

·
Banned
65 Posts
Here are two vids.. They are both about 4 years old but anyway. Mind you, I am running an FTP server on a cable modem connection so if it's really slow, try back later when less people are on.

"Copy" the files to your harddrive.

ftp://207.172.205.40

username: cf
password: go

NOTE: The "tank" file will take about 20 minutes to download at best speed. Be patient it's worth it. The other file is really quick.

·
Banned
494 Posts
i looped mine not to long ago. as a matter of fact it was just last weekend. my bike is going in the shop tommorrow cuz of it. my bike isent to bad just all the right side plastics and the front rim got fvcked up. me i just got a sore ass and very small road rash. lucky i wasnt goin to fast when i looped. i was trying to slow my wheelie down and i went back to far to the point where it just coasts with no throttle at all. and it was just staying straight up for a few secounds. enough time to hit the rear brake but i dident. i dident even think of it. my mind just went blanked. and next thing i know im sliding on the ground. after that all day i was like why dident i hit the rear brake. this wouldent of happened. oh well live and learn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts