Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been surfing around a bunch of car sites and checking out my dream car: The Porsche 911 Turbo. Of course, I'd take the gt2 over it, but that just way too much. anyone ever driven or been in one? if so, what was it like?

chances are i will never own one, nor will i ever have the opportunity of being a passenger in one, but i'm allowed to dream!

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nightshade said:
Yup sure have...driven and ridden in both those cars.

Fun machines but I can't say I would buy one.
christ man, you must have some wealthy friends...so what was it like? was the power mind boggling? or was it overrated?

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
I've dragged both.... can't say they are any match for an R1.

Either that or the guys driving sucked the big one.

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
I had the pleasure of taking a Aircooled mid 80's 4 speed 911 turbo for a strap around eastern creek back in 96. Took a 91 Turbo 911 for a strap around Lakeside and Mount Cotton before they closed lakeside and I can say those cars are the fastest best handling most exciting cages I've ever sat in. I was also taken for a run at Philip Island by this bloke name Richards, in a Porsche about 2 years ago. Still can't get the smell out of my boxers, scary mofoing driver that man.

·
Suicide Kings Racing
2,192 Posts
i;m getting one of those in about 4 years,

a couple of years back, i dated this girl that had a yellow 911 turbo, (left over from the first divorce) and i rode that thing as much as could till it broke down and had to be left on the side of the road

she never let me drive the car

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petrol_spice said:
I had the pleasure of taking a Aircooled mid 80's 4 speed 911 turbo for a strap around eastern creek back in 96. Took a 91 Turbo 911 for a strap around Lakeside and Mount Cotton before they closed lakeside and I can say those cars are the fastest best handling most exciting cages I've ever sat in. I was also taken for a run at Philip Island by this bloke name Richards, in a Porsche about 2 years ago. Still can't get the smell out of my boxers, scary mofoing driver that man.
now that is awesome

:yesnod

you're a lucky man petrol...the fastest car i've ever been in is the sti and the merc sl500 (both 2003's)...

the 80's 911 turbo's were gorgeous; i'd love to buy one second hand one day if money permits :)

·
Not having a R1 sucks
471 Posts
My former room mate had a 2002 twin turbo. He did a bunch of stuff to it: coil-overs, tekart rims and body kit, upgraded turbos, among other things. I will try to find some vids of it. I have a few somewhere on my computer.
That thing was super quick. Very tight car. Easy to launch and drive hard.
Oh, the bastard sold the Porsche and got himself a 360 modena in silver. Must be nice to inherit money from grandma and grandpa. :dunno

·
Bring X back
3,041 Posts
Kid Loops said:
christ man, you must have some wealthy friends...so what was it like? was the power mind boggling? or was it overrated?
I dunno it was pretty impressive power wise its just the overall bang for the buck factor that seemed kind of unimpressive.

The power of the turbo model will definitley put you in your seat and i ws able to make solid burn patches into 4th gear I never tried to hit it in 5th though.

The NA model was a bit more impressive just because of the power output on an NA motor but still able to catch scratch into 4th but not as much as the turbo model (of course).

In handling I would have to say they were ok but for the price I would say overall it lacks something in its cornering characteristics:(

Fun cars and they impress the ladies but anyone who has comparison driven them against other cars (even some less expensive cars) will know that you pretty much paid for a badge.

My honest impression so no need to bite on what I say.

As for having ridden in and driven these types of vehicles...i have driven much more expensive vehicles than these. Part of it is because of my past experiences and less respectable days and some is because I have a way of talking to car dealers....I once got to test drive a Lambo when I was 17 from a dealer lot:D

·
Track-addicted
1,729 Posts
My favorite car as well!!! The gt2, but I dont think about the fact that I probably wont ever own one. :( Ive never ridden in any porsche but I would love to drive one. The next time I go to vegas I might rent one for a few hours or something. Hopefully if all goes well after school I can get a boxter!

·
`mmmmm... Sweet Nectar`
495 Posts
Yeah, I have driven them..a lot. I used to work for Braman Porsche in W. Palm Beach. Very sweet cars! It was my dream job... when I was 18.. im all of 20 now. I need that job back. :)

·
Do what u love love what u do
402 Posts
2000 porsche C4

I drive it all the time, it kinda feels like a Yamaha R1 2002 or newer, it handles like a dream, awsome car.:D

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
I drove a '96 twin turbo. It had lots of character. All that power and the clutch engaged smooth as silk. Handling is awsome I am sure, its just with 400 horses on tap, I wasn't exploring the handling.

I have driven other 993 C2's and can say the handling is really nice, steering awesome and best of all, compliant suspension. Back to the Turbo, it was about 2 years ago. The fastest car I had driven up to then was a 13.5 second car. This Porsche was an easy 12.4.

More than a full second faster. You know how your cruising around on your bike and you think your the dogs bullocks? Well magnify that by 2 and you know what it felt like driving that Porsche.

I rapped it all the way out in third inside a tunnel. Totally reminded me of that scene in Star Wars when they hit the warp drive. Everything got all quiet and time started to go slower and I kept smiling bigger and bigger. Best thing was I did that with my older brother sitting shotgun.

This was all before my bike riding days so I didn't know what REAL acceleration felt like so all the better. I don't think it is even fair to compare the cars' performance to a bike, let alone an R1. Thats totally apples to oranges. I mean, I bet the Porsche would hold four people more comfortably than your R1.

Anyways, the only fault I could see in the car was that you had to wait to 3k rpms before anything happened. Serious turbo lag. The guy wanted 70k for it and I still think its worth every penny.

·
Señor Citizen
20,232 Posts
Kid Loops said:
now that is awesome

:yesnod

you're a lucky man petrol...the fastest car i've ever been in is the sti and the merc sl500 (both 2003's)...

the 80's 911 turbo's were gorgeous; i'd love to buy one second hand one day if money permits :)
That's the best thing about being born into a Motorsport family. Dad used to race and I used to race but money stopped me...

·
Your flames keep me warm
775 Posts
Ive never driven one, but I was showed the business by a 911 TT last summer. Usually after I hit 160 cars quit trying to pursue. But I'll be damned if he didn't walk my ass down on rt 50. Damn I wish I was rich :(

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Awww.. good ole' 50.. and you should have had him up until 170.. dont tell me you gave up and stop twisting!

·
Your flames keep me warm
775 Posts
C'mon man, like I said usually after a blast off and getting up to 150/160, cars just let you go. This guy kept coming so I let him have it, we were approaching the beltway exit so I needed to start slowing, thats the story Im sticking to. :)

·
Go hard!
1,300 Posts
My experience

My old boss had a 1999 GT3, and a 2002 GT2, his mate had the 911-996 turbo,,,,,

I owned a 2001 R1 at the time he had the GT3,,,, we went for a cruise to Newcastle hear in NSW, Australia,,,, my mate rode in the Gt3 with my boss on the way from Sydney to Newcastle via the OLD road which is pretty famous for bike riders here in Sydney,,,,

The GT3 he had was totally set up for race,,, the car actually ran that well it was running 1 second slower a lap compared to the PORSCHE CUP race cars, on some tracks and that was with him driving and he wasn't as skilled at the good drivers,,, it just had more power etc,,,, somewhere in the vicinity of 370kw,,,, and beleive it or not he used to drive around with grooved slicks on it,,,, bit of a wanker if you ask me,,,,!!!

We had a few runs on the way up the coast from standing starts to 120km/h starts,,,, the R1 ate the GT3 for breakfast from the standing start,,,, but at 120km/h i was impressed,,, he threw it back to 2nd and thinking that the R1 would take off and leave the GT3 behind i left it in 4th and just opened the throttle,,, uh uh,,, the GT3 started to take off,,,,i backed off straight away cause i couldn't have my GUMBI boss thinking his car was quicker than the R1,,,,,,we did it again and i was in 2nd and pulled away with relative ease,,, but he wasn't to far behind me .....

Two weeks later we did the same in his GT2,,, not to mention that this thing was tweaked off its tits,,,,, it kept up with the R1 from 120km/h to 200km/h and guess what it started to overtake me,,,, quite impressive if you ask me,,,,I did ride in both cars and both cars stuck to the road like go carts,,,,

·
I am craving sushi.
4,302 Posts
I've driven both cars but not flat out. I work for Kruse International...the worlds's largest collector car auctions and I've gotten to drive many a car around our autox track. I've been passenger around Road Atlanta in a 911 Twin Turbo and that was a blast. The guy had crazy driving skills. Pretty fun cars. Nothing will ever compare to driving a F1 car though. We always have a bunch of race cars for sale and when we go to set up auction's at the race tracks I always try to see if they'll let me do a hot lap.

·
rocket junkie
774 Posts
I drove my father's '96 911 Turbo a few times. Very nice car, like others have said it handles like a gokart. Power is incredible. Comfort leaves something to be desired. I drove it from Charlotte NC to Cleveland OH once and I would never do that again...it ruined my back for days. As far as bang for the buck, there are better deals out there...it's too expensive in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts