Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still back and forth about painting my bike and I'm making a little more money now than I was before. I REALLY love the ducati white with red wheels and was wondering if it would look good on an R1. I did "tried" a photo-chop job but it looked like crap and probably nothing like it would in real life.

Anyone seen one or have any pics of one?

Premium Member
I painted a buddies bike the pearl white and we put some plain red rims next to it and it didn't look good... Had a rear rim that was a candy apple red with a black base coat and it looked awesome.... But everyone has their own opinion and what they like and dislike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I painted a buddies bike the pearl white and we put some plain red rims next to it and it didn't look good... Had a rear rim that was a candy apple red with a black base coat and it looked awesome.... But everyone has their own opinion and what they like and dislike
That's what I was thinking. Every bike I've seen with that paint scheme looked cool. A candy red is definitely sharper looking. I'm considering buying a paint gun and just trying to teach myself to paint. I have some old dirtbike helmets I could practice on, and then maybe buy a second set of fairings to paint when I feel a little more confident.

I've looked at this kit and it seems good. People seem to like it.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...views&ei=27JFVb36PMigNqvZgeAL&ved=0CHEQpiswAA

Premium Member
Some may disagree with me.... I bought the automotive HVLP spray gun Kit from arbor freight when I painted my buddies bike for $50. The guns put out a good spray pattern and the paint came out better than expected.... Duplicolor has premixed paint at any automotive store(pep boys, O'Reilly's) that all you have to do is pour it in the paint cup and spray...I think it's like $20 for a quart, which will do an entire fAiring kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some may disagree with me.... I bought the automotive HVLP spray gun Kit from arbor freight when I painted my buddies bike for $50. The guns put out a good spray pattern and the paint came out better than expected.... Duplicolor has premixed paint at any automotive store(pep boys, O'Reilly's) that all you have to do is pour it in the paint cup and spray...I think it's like $20 for a quart, which will do an entire fAiring kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I try to avoid harbor freight for anything that isn't a solid piece of metal ie wrenches, basic tools etc. I've had way too many bad experiences with them. One guy in the google reviews compared this to his harbor freight gun and liked this one a lot better. As far as the paint, I work at Advanced auto parts, I know we have rattle cans and touch up, I may check and see if we have quarts. I'm a driver and only work the store when it's slow so I don't know the store inventory as well as most of the guys.

I've got some old helmets that I may practice on if I get that kit. If my Air compressor was good enough I would definitely get this gun but I doubt it is. It's one of the small ones from Harbor Freight.

How long did it take you to learn to paint well enough to do your own bike? My bike is my baby and I want everything to look good.

Premium Member
Anyone ever done a White 04-06 R1 w/ red wheels?

I agree harbor freight tools aren't the best but for light work stuff the tools are cheap and work well... Any heavy duty tools I will stay away from... The paint guns may not be the best but a little wet sanding and buffing afterwards you would never know if it was a HB gun or a good quality gun like devilbiss...

I painted jets in the Navy for about 10 years... This was the last jet I painted

Airplane Aircraft Vehicle Air force Product

Mad Thou Rider
imo, if going white / red, with red on the wheels, you REALLY need some notable red accents around the bike elsewhere, or it doesn't really fit in IMO.

I Do like the idea of white body work, white wheels, and red accents.

The problem is that when buying parts, they come painted / coated in different shades of red, so youd need to get all the parts, then have them painted in one go so the red all matches - such is the difficulty of buying aftermarket stuff.

Registered
i plan on doing my bike all white, white wheels, with black and some gold pieces. just whatever to your bike. as long as your happy with how it looks its all that matters. my busa was all white with red wheels. looked sick. but some people didnt like it. if you plan on spraying your bike yourself. just make sure you go thru all the correct steps. prepping is everything. sand, sand, primer, sand, sand, etc. take your time with it. good luck

Premium Member
You won't know until you try it out.

My buddy is rebuilding his R6 and he was stuck on what color to paint the wheels. He just finished painting the fairings white and red. I suggested white wheels, but he ended up going glossy black to stick to original color scheme(his bike was red).

I have a blue 05 and was contemplating on possibly painting the wheels down the road. White came up multiple times, but I don't know how that would look on blue.

I like your idea about reversing the look and going red on the wheels and white on the bike! I do agree with the red accents though, you need to have red somewhere on your bike. :greenyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.