Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,618 Posts

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
Anything can be put on anything if you have enough money and a good machine shop. As long as the fork is long enough it can be adapted. The steering stem is usually the only thing that needs massaging.

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,564 Posts
Anything can be put on anything if you have enough money and a good machine shop. As long as the fork is long enough it can be adapted. The steering stem is usually the only thing that needs massaging.
No offense friend!
But i f*en hate that saying... Same goes to "at the end of the day"

Just say no it can't be, because the Ducati Forks are larger then the R1's. :dunno

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
Sorry you feel that way, but it is true. The vast majority of the time it comes down to the steering stem. If you can get the correct bearings, and get the stem the right length (or get one custom machined), any front end can be adapted. I started on a FZR600, and anyone that road those hard, wanted a better fork. I have seen R1, YZF600, YZF750, Ducati , ZXR400, GSXr 750, 600, etc. forks mounted to the FZR400/600. Sometimes you get lucky (like the YZF600 and YZF600R) and the bearings are the same, and it just bolts up, but most of the time the steering stem is either too big, or too long/short and you have to get it machined or custom built. Other than that you have the length of the fork, and interference from the clip on position. A fork is pretty much a fork otherwise...

· Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Sorry you feel that way, but it is true. The vast majority of the time it comes down to the steering stem. If you can get the correct bearings, and get the stem the right length (or get one custom machined), any front end can be adapted. I started on a FZR600, and anyone that road those hard, wanted a better fork. I have seen R1, YZF600, YZF750, Ducati , ZXR400, GSXr 750, 600, etc. forks mounted to the FZR400/600. Sometimes you get lucky (like the YZF600 and YZF600R) and the bearings are the same, and it just bolts up, but most of the time the steering stem is either too big, or too long/short and you have to get it machined or custom built. Other than that you have the length of the fork, and interference from the clip on position. A fork is pretty much a fork otherwise...
I think it's a waste of time.

· "What"
2,325 Posts
By the time you purchase said forks and attempt to fit them,you'll most likely find Ohlins forks for the same price if not cheaper.

Just because it's on a Poocati,doesn't mean it's better.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
I agree for the most part, but if you have a wrecked R1 fork, and a cheap/free Ducati fork of similar dimensions.... I don't see making it better, but for the trick/don't see it everyday factor, or the I need to get my R1 back on the road factor it might make sense to some people.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
It may just work out cheaper to get ohlins of a Ducati and fit them as I'd like to run brembo calipers that's all
If you do that you will have to get the brakes at the same time, Ducati use 100mm and Yamaha 108mm. Then there's the fender and possibly wheel spacers and axle too remember. You could even get into rotor offsets and wheels.
This is all assuming the forks will even fit the triples of course.

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,564 Posts
If you do that you will have to get the brakes at the same time, Ducati use 100mm and Yamaha 108mm. then there's the fender and possibly wheel spacers too remember, could even get into rotor offsets.

Spoke like a true motogp genius ?

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
If you do that you will have to get the brakes at the same time, Ducati use 100mm and Yamaha 108mm. Then there's the fender and possibly wheel spacers and axle too remember. You could even get into rotor offsets and wheels.
This is all assuming the forks will even fit the triples of course.
:fact.. Trying to be 'thrifty' often costs more at the end of the day..:icon_rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.