Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
\user\bin\drinking
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, because this winter I would like to build a new PC and I was thinking of going with AMD instead of Intel this time.

I have read countless reviews and 64bit seems the way to go, but I havent found an "In my price range" ($100-$200) mother board that will take advantage of the 64 bit chip in all it's glory.

What do any of you think about it?

Thanks,

Stealth

·
Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,163 Posts
The ASUS board for the 64 bit chip is around $200.

·
Live to Ride
2,073 Posts
You'll find mucho info here for anything AMD related: http://www.nforcershq.com/

There are plenty of great mobos for the 64 platform, only problem is wheres the software to take full advantage of the proc?
There are many concerns with AMDs current processors being offered as Intel has yet to disclose what they got in store 64bit wise and they may dominate the market with a new uber clocked version that'll make you wish you waited that extra couple months. Did AMD come out to early? When will the Microshaft 64 bit operating systems come into play? There are many things to consider before spending the $400+ for this current proc as you can get a very nice 2.4 800mzhbus Intel chip with a T.O.T.L. mobo, heatsink, and fans for less.. Just Overclock the Sum of a Bizzach and live in the l337 Glory :thumbup
umm well then again, if I had the dough, I would love to get my hands on one of those 2.2 FX51 chips and see what I could do with my water cooling:rock :rock

·
uh-huh
59 Posts
i am gonna run with 64bit when i build my next gamer machine. as big a chip as i can't afford, will raid it too. use my spare aquaium water chiller to keep it cool while i play. big boys and their toyz ya know.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Think I'm gonna wait a while myself. I have an XP3200+ with a 400MHz FSB that will do me for a while. My gig of RAM (512MB Corsiar XMS 2T [x2] running in dual channel mode of course) is 400MHz as well, making my external FSB on the mb 200MHz. I think I can wait a while for sure.

·
Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,163 Posts
EarlThePearl said:
Think I'm gonna wait a while myself. I have an XP3200+ with a 400MHz FSB that will do me for a while. My gig of RAM (512MB Corsiar XMS 2T [x2] running in dual channel mode of course) is 400MHz as well, making my external FSB on the mb 200MHz. I think I can wait a while for sure.
Sounds similar to what I'm throwing together.:rock

·
3,466 Posts
crazmixkid said:
You think your Athlon 64 is really neato'.....what kinda chip you got in there....a Dorito?
Got a flat-screen monitor forty inches wide,
I believe that your says "Etch-A-Sketch" on the side

·
3,466 Posts
Dramacydle said:
Earl, what kind of mobo and vid card do you have in your rig? oh, and damn you and your 40" flat screen :(
LoL...I don't really have a 40" flat screen monitor, that is a lyric from a Weird Al song...I was playing off what crazmixkid wrote, which was another lyric from the same song...just having fun, that's all.

Oh, and to answer your question, Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.0 and a nVidia Ti4600.

·
3,466 Posts
Tito said:
how do you like the titanium?
Best video card made in it's day...will do me for a while before needing an upgrade. I'll WANT an upgrade before I'll NEED an upgrade.

8,374 Posts
I would hold off on the AMD FX/3200. Reason being the current FX/3200 is a 940 socket cpu which will be replaced by a 939 socket type. So your $189 mobo wont be able to use the newer socket type/cpu. I would wait until the newer 64 bit FX/3200 cpu (939 socket) is unvailed. Also, the 64-bit XP pro OS is still in it's beta version. Unless u got $$$ 2 burn, hold off.

Mi dos centados...:)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
[email protected]@alltimes said:
I would hold off on the AMD FX/3200. Reason being the current FX/3200 is a 940 socket cpu which will be replaced by a 939 socket type. So your $189 mobo wont be able to use the newer socket type/cpu. I would wait until the newer 64 bit FX/3200 cpu (939 socket) is unvailed. Also, the 64-bit XP pro OS is still in it's beta version. Unless u got $$$ 2 burn, hold off.

Mi dos centados...:)
"Mi Dos CENTAVOS" :p

·
\user\bin\drinking
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like I am going to save up for the time being and just wait until there is a stable new chip out. I guess to jump the gun and go with 64bit right now would be a bit to much of a leap.

Thanks Again!!!

Stealth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts