Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen the rubber like tape for the tank and frame but does anyone know of a company that makes a gripper seat like the ones available for dirt bikes? I’m surprised I haven’t found such a thing yet for street bikes. I think it would be a good addition to the tank tape.

·
My R1 eats yours
118 Posts
find a shop that does upolstrey, sorry for the spelling, or custom headliners stuff like that most of those guys can cover a seat in whatever material you'd like, had one of my dirtbike seats done like that it turned out great

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
extrakt0r said:
Stop putting Tire Shine on your seat :)
:lol I do put leather conditioner on my leathers every once in a while but even if I don't, I slide around too easily in the seat. especially under hard braking and acceleration. I actually get better grip if i'm wearing jeans.

ripper198,
I think your right. That's probably what I'll do. Don't you think it would be a great option for street bikes considering how great it is on dirt bikes?

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
sn95pony said:
Don't you think it would be a great option for street bikes considering how great it is on dirt bikes?
No.

I dont' ride dirt...but I can tell you that you are comparing apples to oranges...very very different riding styles. I want to be able to move around on the seat and not grip it...I want to be able to grip the sides of the tank and move my ass off the side of the seat, and then to the other side of the seat as fast as possible....sticky seat makes that a problem.

That's not ot say that I want a peice of ice below my ass either...but the stock seat, or foam (if you race) does a very nice job in my opinion.

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sabian said:
No.

I dont' ride dirt...but I can tell you that you are comparing apples to oranges...very very different riding styles. I want to be able to move around on the seat and not grip it...I want to be able to grip the sides of the tank and move my ass off the side of the seat, and then to the other side of the seat as fast as possible....sticky seat makes that a problem.

That's not ot say that I want a peice of ice below my ass either...but the stock seat, or foam (if you race) does a very nice job in my opinion.
A gripper seat isn't sticky. It just has a little bit of rubber impregnated into the surface. In fact, it feels a lot like the foam rubber pads used as seats on race bikes so movement isn't really restricted. It allows you to relax your arms more. On dirt bikes you constantly have to move around on the seat especially in the turns where you have to slide forward to get weight on the front tire, the back in other cases if you want to seat bounce a jump. I've learned that you don't want to support yourself with your arms because they tense up. A gripper seat (I think) would help a lot.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Sticky might not have been the word for it. I know what you are speaking of though, and I still disagree, at least in my mind. I use the tank for all the support I need...I never support myself with my arm and wrists, especially while in a full lean. Hell I dont' think that is even physically possible. I just dont' think the application would be needed in this sport. Though I have been wrong in the past.

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sabian said:
Sticky might not have been the word for it. I know what you are speaking of though, and I still disagree, at least in my mind. I use the tank for all the support I need...I never support myself with my arm and wrists, especially while in a full lean. Hell I dont' think that is even physically possible. I just dont' think the application would be needed in this sport. Though I have been wrong in the past.
Well, your probably right because there must be a reason no one makes it. But if a company offered such a thing I'd try it.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
ripper198 said:
find a shop that does upolstrey, sorry for the spelling....
The forum has a spell check function you can use prior to submitting your reply. :fact

·
My R1 eats yours
118 Posts
couldn't care less about my spelin

·
Honest officer, IT WASNT ME!!!
68 Posts
I drag race alot and i would love to find a grippy seat cover. every little bit counts when it comes to keeping your weight forward. If you do find some one who make sone please let me know. Thanks

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
I don't think it would be a hinderance at all. The stock seat is too slippery. I use foam on my racing tail which is much better. the main benefit of a more grippy seat is under acceleration it reduces the tendency to hang on to the bars to keep yourself forward. When you are switching quickly from one side to the other, you aren't doing so with weight on the seat. You are using your legs to unload your ass and make the transition.

·
Beware of Subaru Outbacks!
964 Posts
i've been lookin for something to use on the passenger seat. my little wifey slides all around. one quick stop and my nuts are sore for the night! any real ideas besides a professional upholsterer?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts