Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Pirate Brian
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to Spray paint my new race fairing and wanted to know if anyone has done it before and could offer some advice. Also Pics would be helpfuL!

·
Pirate Brian
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get your paint from? What brand are you using?
I havent had a chance to look at the paint I will you use specificaly. Im guessing a primer then a flat color then a High gloss then a clear coat. I need to fit and mount the race fairings first though. I think that will be next weekend project. Ill take pics of the whole process. With regards to prep I think Im going to sand them down a bit using 220-440 sand paper. There are some seems I need to get rid of as well as edges that werent cut exact. Are gona rattle can yours to?

·
My R1 Luvs Tight Butts
111 Posts

I havent had a chance to look at the paint I will you use specificaly. Im guessing a primer then a flat color then a High gloss then a clear coat. I need to fit and mount the race fairings first though. I think that will be next weekend project. Ill take pics of the whole process. With regards to prep I think Im going to sand them down a bit using 220-440 sand paper. There are some seems I need to get rid of as well as edges that werent cut exact. Are gona rattle can yours to?
Oh hell yeah I'm gonna rattle can mine. I can't afford to pay a pro to do it, my friends are gonna tell me to put "Low Bucks Racing" on my bike. Oh well, you never know what you can do, until you try. Good luck with your project bro, can't wait to see it.

·
Its a Money Pit
454 Posts
i've painted several pieces over the years via rattle can. 1) prep is 75% of the quality of the finish. 2) steady even movement and be sure to continue spraying past the edge of the piece then go to the next "line"

·
Uni Shooters! Bottoms Up!
260 Posts
there all correct, i did mine not too long ago, and have done it many times before with stunt bikes, those were all with stock plastics, i find the easiest way to do it is to scuff the fairing so it gets rid of any funky stuff from the primer, clean throughly, then spray, need to keep smooth even strokes or it will cause the paint to run. and it takes roughly 2 or more coats to get it really good, i used up about 4 cans of paint, oh and some of the best paint used for it is Krylon plastic paint, sticks really well to fiberglass or plastic and drys pretty quick between coats, and comes in several colors you can pick up up at almost any paint store/home depot or do-it yourself type store. i think even wal-mart carries it.

·
Pirate Brian
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great replys thanks guys!

·
All For My Daughter.
265 Posts
wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, I can't tell you enough like they say 75% is prepping it, i did it on my gsxr6 i also primered it though and i prefer KILZ rattlers its nice and durable and it sticks good and is very flexible

·
Pirate Brian
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats the difference between wetsanding and normal sanding. Im sure you use water but is it a different type of sandpaper? What grits?

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Hell, half the people I know at the track have rattle canned their plastics. most carry extra cans then to the track and do trackside repairs when they go down. Little duct tape if needed to fix what broke and then they paint over the tape. Works great!

·
All For My Daughter.
265 Posts
wetsanding makes less friction and it saves you a shit load of money on the cost, its allowing the sandpaper to do what it was meant to do kinda somebody help explain for me.... please i dont know the exact wording, but trust me im right

·
Louisville-Sportbikes.com
1,763 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to put an expensive paint job on those plastics..... Hell, all anyone is going to see is a blur anyway.....:fact

Lets see some pics when you get her rattled up......

·
Uni Shooters! Bottoms Up!
260 Posts
wetsanding makes less friction and it saves you a shit load of money on the cost, its allowing the sandpaper to do what it was meant to do kinda somebody help explain for me.... please i dont know the exact wording, but trust me im right
creates a smoother surface when sanding, allows for the sand paper to (for lack of better words) sand away any unwanted material/uneven surface while causing less friction on the sand paper and creating a smoother surface at the same time. (or something like that anyone else think of a better way to explain it?) and yes there is a special type of sand paper, its usually a light grit, and it says "wet sand" on the package, but usually you can do it with any light to medium grit paper, just wont come out quite as smooth.

·
Viva La Figa
3,992 Posts
Couple of pics of a quick rattle can job today of some easy to mount parts using stock hardware. All I did was wetsand, primer, sand, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. The upper and lower will wait until the fastners arrive next week.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.