Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Damn, now you're really testing my memory...I think it's either a 32 or 36mm but I can't remember and I'm a few thousand miles from the bike right now to check:dundun:

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,111 Posts
yeah i figure I'll mess around with it & get the right feel after a good weekend ride..
decide where i like it n' cut off the rest... i'd rather have too much than too little... savvy?

Damn, now you're really testing my memory...I think it's either a 32 or 36mm but I can't remember and I'm a few thousand miles from the bike right now to check:dundun:
well i severly doubt its a 32, seen it post up a couple times, older R1s were 36mm cant see them changing it..

·
RUSH HOUR RIDERS
2,374 Posts
I think these will be my next mod for sure. Thanks for the great review!!!

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,111 Posts
aight! well my stockers are off! not that bad a job..
gotta shave off those nasty niples on the plastic casings
but i'll have to do that tomorrow..

will post pics when done.!! i'm so gonna love these! they were well worth the wait!.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
love the apex bars i think the 3inch or alittle overboard for what most of us want...you can easily get over a inch on std adj clip ons
You're absolutely right, but I figured why not just in case down the road I want to try and lift them up more for some long distance use.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
aight! well my stockers are off! not that bad a job..
gotta shave off those nasty niples on the plastic casings
but i'll have to do that tomorrow..

will post pics when done.!! i'm so gonna love these! they were well worth the wait!.. :D
Yup, the quality alone is worth it, but the function and looks are damn nice as well :thumbup

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,111 Posts
You're absolutely right, but I figured why not just in case down the road I want to try and lift them up more for some long distance use.
that is exactly what i was thinking and now looking at the whole setup I'm sure I made the right decision, its not just the ability to raise more if desired, provided you can get all cabling issues dealt with.. but that riser spins on the bracket as well so you can reposition them in any one of a hundred different ways.. it opens up a whole other level of adjustability... if you have broad shoulders its ideal! you can bring'em closer to you, you can increase or decrease seperation & actual angle of the bars for your exact comfort.. & i dont mean mimic your desired position.. you can match it exactly..
just a couple degrees one way or another & i can see these being perfect.. i've got a good sized tank bag thats nice to lean on in long trips which i do often & know I can widen my setup so it doesnt
affect my ability to carve 'em canyons in comfort...

for the $.. an absolute marble.. I knew these were the ticket as soon a I saw
them online.. THANK YOU APEX!

Now i wish i hadI bought these instead of my Heli Bars a couple years ago. :(
yah man, like i said, i considered the Helis years ago & couldnt get passed the cost / adjustability factor.. i did
not want someone telling me what the ideal setup was.. or by how much I could adjust my clip-ons.. we're all different & have different needs.. for
me, an ergonomic solution which I can mess around with is an absolute necessity, specially as I get older... turn that frown upside down..
sell your helis & pick up a set of these puppies.. they are just that good, its worth it.! some folks find the Heli setup fine!... just
dont mention this thread when you post the ad up ;)

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,111 Posts

well, that was a long wait!! hahahh... sorry kids.. i finally got around to installing my apex risers!! wow!!, are they every incredible!! such high quality workmanship its a little daunting when you really start to mess with all the options for adjust-ability... i had some trouble with my left hand over the past month due to carpal tunnel surgery so i had to hold off on the whole dremel process... alas, its done now!!! you're right, i'm gonna need to use some electrical tape for shims, at least on a couple spots it feels like the apex are thinner than oem bars... which is just fine.. its not a big deal...

only difference in my setup is i re-routed the brake reservoir under the throttle cables.. gives you much more room to adjust exactly where you want the bars to end up..
i'm sure you found this out by now... its a quick little fix... I didnt have much trouble at all making it all fit as it should.. I will not be needing longer cables.. I can already tell
everything is in a much better position.!! i cant wait to test these puppies out..!

unfortunately I dont have a nose upper at this point so i cant settle on what position I will need for all clearances to work out...
meaning on lock to lock position, i'm sure it will be fun once i get a new nose on there...

alas I have put the bike away for the year... gotta let my hand/wrist heal properly so no riding till 2013 for me :(

I will post pics tomorrow... :fork

·
2009 R1 - WHITE/RED
13 Posts
Did any of you buy the APEX bar ends or were you able to use the factory R1 and swap them out to the APEX risers?

Also, what did you guys do for the steering dampner, is it mounted to the left factory clip on?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
The stock bar ends will not work with the Apex clip ons since the stock are screwed on. I did get the Apex bar ends and have since swapped them out for some Rizoma ends. But any universal fit bar ends for a 7/8" bar will work.

And as for the steering damper, no modifications were required at all. On the 09+ the damper isn't mounted to the clip-ons.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
only difference in my setup is i re-routed the brake reservoir under the throttle cables.. gives you much more room to adjust exactly where you want the bars to end up..
i'm sure you found this out by now... its a quick little fix... I didnt have much trouble at all making it all fit as it should.. I will not be needing longer cables.. I can already tell
everything is in a much better position.!! i cant wait to test these puppies out..!
Yes, I thought about that after the fact. But since I didn't need to adjust them anymore I just left the brake hose above the throttle cables and everything works great!

·
2009 R1 - WHITE/RED
13 Posts
The stock bar ends will not work with the Apex clip ons since the stock are screwed on. I did get the Apex bar ends and have since swapped them out for some Rizoma ends. But any universal fit bar ends for a 7/8" bar will work.

And as for the steering damper, no modifications were required at all. On the 09+ the damper isn't mounted to the clip-ons.
Want to sell the Apex bar ends to me?
Shipped to Toronto, Ontario Canada

I am interested...

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd have to find them first; I'll look tomorrow. Funny enough I just came back from Bowmanville, Ontario this weekend...was right in Toronto at the airport.

·
2009 R1 - WHITE/RED
13 Posts
I'd have to find them first; I'll look tomorrow. Funny enough I just came back from Bowmanville, Ontario this weekend...was right in Toronto at the airport.
sweet, what was there..?
Went to Mosport I predict?

See if you can fine em, I just ordered the APEX today, and would like to put in the risers/bar ends all at once.

So given all this info and if I move the brake resovoir to allow more room, how much of a rise do you think i could get on factory cables (gas/brake) lock to lock without making any mods?

thanks for all your help?

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,111 Posts
there's a fair bit of room with the cables i find.. thats not really the limiting factor
i dont think... i believe most of your limit will come from actually touching the
nose cowl as you go lock to lock.... i just felt re-routing the res. hoses n' such made
more sense for the increased height... it flows easier this way...

i'm pretty certain i've got a good INCH out of these suckahs easy.... again the beauty in these is not so much on how much actual rise you can get out of them... its the fact that you have much more options in regards to what angle you want out of the bar ends, and how close to your body you wan'em.. its really very trick how much adjustment these give you.... as mentioned above, they're gonna be great when touring... couple quick adjustments and i'm ready to swallow up 600 mile long days with ease..

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No, unfortunately I was there for work only... I'll try and find them tomorrow and let you know.

You can probably squeeze about 2" maybe a little more if you're creative. As mentioned above, it's not really cables and such, but you will run out of room on the cowl depending how flat you want to make them.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts