Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· (.) (.) + Liquor = My Job
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting another bike either a new 04 R1 or 04 Aprilia RSV1000R or R factory. We all know Jap quality and reliability and Yami IMO has some of the best. But I was curious how reliable Aprilia bikes are? I dont know anyone with one and I was hoping someone here did. Thanks

· flat, flatter, crash...
147 Posts
no stress about reliability with aprilia 4-strokes! here in belgium we have the shop that makes some of the fastest aprilias around the globe (Q.M.S.). they ended 5th in the suzuka 8 hours last year with their rsv1000, not bad not bad for a belgian privateer team :rock.

two buddies of mine just had their Factorys delivered, one of them with the engine work done by Q.M.S. and we're talking about 155-160 rwhp... and so far all is good!! (man, that sound is un-be-lieve-able)

HTH, JS

850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input... how do they sound? They dont sound like the Ducs with the clanky dry clutch do they? Cuz man those sound terrible! Nothing like having a 18K bike sound like its broken all the time! LOL

I dont know, I'm sure I'll get an 04 R1 though.

· Cornering Enthusiast
1,751 Posts
I've got a buddy with a Mille RSV and he has put a sh*tload of miles on it with no probs. Rotax motor in them I believe aren't they??

· Opposed to all posing posers
557 Posts
Aprilia Reliabilty

I've got an 04 Factory R - great bike in terms of reliability but there are a couple of core issues with the 04 Aprilia (RSVR and Factory R) that you should be aware of:

1: Clutch engagement is NOT smooth - forget about even finding neutral until well after the bike is warmed up. I've upgraded my clutch slave cylinder, but it is still impossible to get the bike into neutral when it's cold. You have to stay on top of the clutch by bleeding it VERY often.

2: Rear brake sucks - very spongy feel at the lever. You really have to stay on top of the rear brake via air-bleeding the lines. I have yet to get a decent feel from the rear brake.

POSITIVES:

1: Pheomenal suspension (for Factory R at least) - all Ohlins...can't beat that, and turns in quicker than ANY bike I've ever had (and I've had a few). Matter of fact turns in quicker than my ZX10R by a long shot.

2: Excellent motor: I've done an airbox mod, and put some custom exhaust on mine - sound is excellent; not as "meaty" as the Ducati, but still sounds great.

Anyways - hope that helps.

850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: Aprilia Reliabilty

FactoryPilot said:
I've got an 04 Factory R - great bike in terms of reliability but there are a couple of core issues with the 04 Aprilia (RSVR and Factory R) that you should be aware of:

1: Clutch engagement is NOT smooth - forget about even finding neutral until well after the bike is warmed up. I've upgraded my clutch slave cylinder, but it is still impossible to get the bike into neutral when it's cold. You have to stay on top of the clutch by bleeding it VERY often.

2: Rear brake sucks - very spongy feel at the lever. You really have to stay on top of the rear brake via air-bleeding the lines. I have yet to get a decent feel from the rear brake.

POSITIVES:

1: Pheomenal suspension (for Factory R at least) - all Ohlins...can't beat that, and turns in quicker than ANY bike I've ever had (and I've had a few). Matter of fact turns in quicker than my ZX10R by a long shot.

2: Excellent motor: I've done an airbox mod, and put some custom exhaust on mine - sound is excellent; not as "meaty" as the Ducati, but still sounds great.

Anyways - hope that helps.
Awesome feedback thanks! Another question is the main difference between the R and factory the ohlins suspension? I'm not sure if I really need the ohlins since I ride highway, mountain twisties and city mostly and I'll never go to the track. Can you post up some pics.... Id like to see someone owner pics, I've seen all the ones from Aprilias site. How often would you say you adjust the rear brake and clutch? Lastly, how about riding position/seat room. My friend has a Duc 916 and I couldn't ride it the room from tank to rear cowl was so small my nuts were being constantly crushed. One thing I like about Jap sportbikes they have plenty of room. Again thanks for the honest feedback.

· Banned
9,609 Posts
PUREVIL said:
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting another bike either a new 04 R1 or 04 Aprilia RSV1000R or R factory. We all know Jap quality and reliability and Yami IMO has some of the best. But I was curious how reliable Aprilia bikes are? I dont know anyone with one and I was hoping someone here did. Thanks
With bikes traveling at 210 mph plus, one can only wonder how long MotoGP will allow the Aprilia to continue to leak oil.

P.S. The word is Japanese not "Jap".

· Opposed to all posing posers
557 Posts
Is the difference between the R and factory the ohlins suspension?
Yes, and the Factory R also has the radial mounted Brembos and OZ racing forged aluminum wheels - veerrry sweet

Can you post up some pics.... Id like to see someone owner pics, I've seen all the ones from Aprilias site.
I'll see what I can do.

How often would you say you adjust the rear brake and clutch?
About every other ride for the clutch and I gave up on the rear brake...I'll qualify that by saying that I really haven't given the new slave for the clutch to force all the air in the system to the top - from what I understand the new clutch slave really fixes the entire bleeding-every-time-you-turn-around issue.

Lastly, how about riding position/seat room. My friend has a Duc 916 and I couldn't ride it the room from tank to rear cowl was so small my nuts were being constantly crushed.
I'm just under 6' and about 220lbs, and I don't have a probelm with room on the Aprilia. If I were any taller and any heavier, it would be a problem. The Aprilia is a pretty roomy bike; way roomier than a Duc 916 (and I have ridden the Duc 916).

I will actually be selling my Aprilia very quickly here, because my wife is switching jobs and I can't have two bikes. PM me if you're interested.

850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Aprilia Reliability question

r1-superstar said:
P.S. The word is Japanese not "Jap".

P.S. I know but I didn't feel like typing it all out. LOL

Hmm adjusting something every other ride may get old, since I try and ride almost every other day. But man those Aprilias are sweet.

· Frank the Tank RPTB
7,274 Posts
Aprilias are awesome bikes.....never had any problems.....EVER!!!!

· RD350YPVS reincarnated as R1
121 Posts
This is such a coincidence, I am selling my R1 because I can't ride in the crouched position anymore (arthritis in the neck) and am thinking of buying the Tuono (standard, not factory).
What is the servicing cost for these things? I heard they have to take out the engine to adjust the valves...?? That can't be cheap.

· Love my bikes
5,916 Posts
ducatiwv said:
Aprilias are awesome bikes.....never had any problems.....EVER!!!!
BIG BUMP!!

Yeah, i have 01 MilleR and NEVER, EVER, had a problem with her.
Not even clutch problems or hard time finding the neutral. The only "thing" is that the rear brake doesn't work, but i don't use rear brake so............. no problem for me.

The handling is awsome and if you can afford to pay a bit more for the Factory (the previous R), go for it instead of the new RsvR.

· Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
My buddy has a 01 Mille R. Neutral is hard to find. Also, you might be hitting the horn alot trying to use your blinkers. At least I did, lol. The horn button is where the turn signal button is on my R1. But its a solid bike, I absolutely love the handling. It makes my bike feel like a pig, lol. I highly recommend it.

· Frank the Tank RPTB
7,274 Posts
crazmixkid said:
I heard they have to take out the engine to adjust the valves...?? That can't be cheap.
Maybe they were talking about Ducatis...You have to shim the valves and it makes it alot easier to remove the engine on those....IMO.....

· Registered
439 Posts
My friends uncle in Croatia does stock racing on the aprilia rsvr. Its got a full akrapovic system and i swear evry time he turned on that thing it was like thunder and lightning struck down :scared

Amazing sound

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.