Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new R1's more comfortable to ride on roads?

I saw/heard at least 2 reviews, including one below, which say it's a relatively (to other sport bikes and previous R1s) a 'comfy' bike.
(below is for >=2012, but ergonomics haven't changed from 09).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Yamaha/Yamaha-R1-2012-current/

Don't get me wrong, i understand where a superbike coming from, and I currently have an 05 R1. I did lots of public road riding on it, and some good track time too.

So what are the >=09 R1s feel like ergonomics wise relative to older ones?

I would like to get myself an 09 which i can use on track but also quite a bit on public roads. Including some long trips.

If you have some long trips experience on a big-bang please share. :)

:hellobye

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
It's a lot more comfortable than my RC51 was, but that bike's pretty uncomfortable. I don't mind riding mine all day, I do it quite a bit.

·
Same day, different $#!t
163 Posts
For me, stuck in OKC, i have to plan my route to avoid rough roads. It can get uncomfortable in a hurry otherwise. But if the roads are nice and smooth, I can ride all day long.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
Went from '06 to '12 so my opinion may be somewhat relevant- It's not a big difference in posture between the two, the crossplane takes some getting used to, but there are lesser bikes out there in that department trust me :lol

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I don't think comfort has even been high on the list when designing sport bikes.

Maybe go test ride one? :dunno

I've done plenty of 10hrs plus days of riding fast mountain roads and I pulled up fine the next day on my 04, and from what I've read the 09+ are more 'roomy' so that could equate to more comfort.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
dont listen to these sissys. its like a couch on the open road (especially when you install clutch sliders) i rode 8hrs down to fort campbell, ky from columbus, oh then woke up next day and did it again.

i just put my feet forward, up on the clutch slider (i have t-rex sliders) and skoot back in the seat to the more comfy section toward the back and i'm good to go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I rode 2000 miles in 8 days over the Pyrenees last year on a 2009 R1, it was a breeze compared to the 2000 miles in 8 days I did the previous year on a 2004 ZX10R ;)

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Have to set your priorities. And define comfort. I don't know that any sportbike can ever be truly comfort considering what the purpose is. But a Gold Wing certainly doesn't handle as well.

Scalpels are fantastic cutting tools...

... but I would not try to fell a tree with one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, I went from an '05 to my '11 and I find the latter bike engine 'easier' over long distance.

I leave tomorrow morning for a 4500km 2 week tour of the South Island so I'll let you know more when I get back!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
278 Posts
Stock it is. After Kyle Racing clip-ons and a new seat I could do 450-500 miles a day w/ ease.
Its a damn fun bike though. One of my customers used to have one but was always out of state for work so he would leave his with me and all I had to do was put miles on it and store it for him. Many fun rides with that RC.

·
Well-Oiled Machine
16 Posts
I have an Aprilia has my dedicated trackbike (1st gen Mille), which I previously had as a streetbike. Before the 2009 R1 now, I had a VFR800 and a YZF600R, and others.

Honestly, I think that the R1 is the most comfortable for 1-up riding that I have owned. I might get some Renthal clip ons in the future, for a little more leverage.

I personally like the riders triangle (seat/peg/clip-ons), and I have no complaints about the underseat pipes (significantly cooler running than the VFR800).

As others have said, these are dedicated sportbikes, but you can cover some serious mileage and not have much to complain about at the end of the day. We are truly spoiled!

Cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I jumped from an 06 R6 to an 09 r1, the comfort drastically improved, less aggressive riding style, can move the pegs in two positions, overall I think it is quite a comfortable 'super sports' bike.

When I jump on a naked speed triple though, completely different ball game.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just done 4900kms in 2 weeks, comfy as!! Seriously impressed at how good she was to 'tour' on.
BTW, took an s1000RR for a test ride - bonkers, will eat my R1 but not so sure on long distance comfort.
Go the 1! ImageUploadedByMO Free1361865033.955416.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wooow, such good responses. Awesome thanks, I think I will be 100% on a >= 09.

I recently did a ~1700 km trip, which involved crossing a desert with temps in 40C, on my ol' 05 R1. And i feel its good & 'comfy' for the road, ahaha! Just perhaps problem on straight long roads you get speed blind and 200-240 km/h doesn't feel like much anymore ...

Anyway, so nice people took time to reply.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
20 Participants
v01d
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing