Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,485 Posts
build quality and adjustability are what you pay for. So, $150 rearsets won't be as good as $450 rearsets. Sure, the $150 rearsets will give you a place to rest your feet, shift, brake, etc., but they won't be as adjustable as the $450 rearsets.

I purchased the Graves rearsets w/ reverse shifting adapter. The build quality is excellent, they have a wide range of adjustments, and they even look pretty cool...

·
6,485 Posts
Of the rearsets you listed, I think Graves, Gilles, and Attack would be the ones to go with. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading a few negative threads about Vortex rearsets.
Gilles rearsets are awesome (and cheaper)! I was going to get the Gilles initially, but the color that I wanted wasn't in stock at the time. The shift rod also passes through the frame, as opposed to outside the frame like the Graves. (this is a deciding factor for some riders)

·
6,485 Posts
jonny toe tags said:
Does it make a big difference if the shift rod is inside or out of the frame?
mostly for cosmetic reasons, but think about this. What if you were to lay your bike down on the left side. If they shift rod is on the outside of the frame, it'll probably get damaged and prevent you from being able to shift. Whereas, if the the shift rod passed through the frame, it would most likely not get damaged, and still allow you to shift on your way home...

8,586 Posts
R1Fanatic said:
mostly for cosmetic reasons, but think about this. What if you were to lay your bike down on the left side. If they shift rod is on the outside of the frame, it'll probably get damaged and prevent you from being able to shift. Whereas, if the the shift rod passed through the frame, it would most likely not get damaged, and still allow you to shift on your way home...
I dunno about that R1fan, ck my pic again, if anything hits first, it's gonna be the pegs or the tank or sthn else, not the area behind the shift rod. I personally have never seen a bike lowside and damage that part of the frame. BUT I am NO EXPERT, and I could BE WRONG.

EDIT

Actually I 4got 2 mention this but if U look closely the left peg is worn down since I bought them used and the seller had lowsided the bike on it's left. So in turn I guess that kinda proves my theory......

:p

·
6,485 Posts
[email protected]@alltimes said:
I dunno about that R1fan, ck my pic again, if anything hits first, it's gonna be the pegs or the tank or sthn else, not the area behind the shift rod. I personally have never seen a bike lowside and damage that part of the frame. BUT I am NO EXPERT, and I could BE WRONG.

EDIT

Actually I 4got 2 mention this but if U look closely the left peg is worn down since I bought them used and the seller had lowsided the bike on it's left. So in turn I guess that kinda proves my theory......

:p
You may be right. Personally, I've never seen the shif rod get damaged during a 'minor' lowside either, but since my shift rod is outside of the frame, that's something that I always think about.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You should be alright with the rod outside of the frame.
It *does* look nicer inside the frame (if that's important to you).

As far as bad feedback on Vortex - I've heard they flex more than they should.

Other than that, I've heard no major problems with any of them.
If your strictly into performance and want to keep costs down, take a look at Woodcraft/CFM. They're pretty plain, but tons of independent racers use them because of their proven performance and parts interchangeability.

Good Luck!

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
Can you reverse shift with the Gilles? I prefer the rod-through-frame setup personally. Only the true coneseur would recognize what you've got...a sleeper set of rear sets, if you will. I think the black are smackin' BTW...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts