Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody who has Graves frame sliders: I just noticed that the hardware they give you with those is Grade 8.8 hardness. OEM engine mount bolts are 10.9.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try to get up to Ventura to get ARP bolts to replace the Graves. If anybody here wants me to get them some, please e-mail me by 11:00 p.m. PST tonight. Put "Engine Bolts" in the subject line so I know it's you.

Mark
[email protected]

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
Mark618 said:
Anybody who has Graves frame sliders: I just noticed that the hardware they give you with those is Grade 8.8 hardness. OEM engine mount bolts are 10.9.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try to get up to Ventura to get ARP bolts to replace the Graves. If anybody here wants me to get them some, please e-mail me by 11:00 p.m. PST tonight. Put "Engine Bolts" in the subject line so I know it's you.

Mark
[email protected]
Not sure, but might be by design. I would rather them break than bust out my frame and head during a crash! Might want to check with Graves first!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, good point. I'll try to get Graves on the phone tomorrow.

Note: Intuitive put a 10.9 bolt on their clutch slider. Why didn't they go softer than OEM on that?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with that very nice lad at Graves. It seems that what Graves has in mind is to provide a bolt that will be softer than the frame (engine mount) and harder than the slider (delrin plastic). That is why they provide, with their frame sliders, hardware that is softer than OEM bolts (8.8 vs. 10.9).

My thinking on the Inuitive product is this: They are using a 10.9 bolt on the clutch slider because that fastener does not bolt into the frame. It bolts into the nut that they provide, which in turn bolts to the pin that goes through the end of the swing arm. So, less risk of the frame getting bent at that point. Does that make sense?

Still, the bolts Graves provides look like crap, like items that are not even meant for automotive application, so I may replace them with better bolts that are still 8.8 hardness.

To the Forum moderator and to my colleagues: I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with this issue.

Mark

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
Mark618 said:
Just got off the phone with that very nice lad at Graves. It seems that what Graves has in mind is to provide a bolt that will be softer than the frame (engine mount) and harder than the slider (delrin plastic). That is why they provide, with their frame sliders, hardware that is softer than OEM bolts (8.8 vs. 10.9).

My thinking on the Inuitive product is this: They are using a 10.9 bolt on the clutch slider because that fastener does not bolt into the frame. It bolts into the nut that they provide, which in turn bolts to the pin that goes through the end of the swing arm. So, less risk of the frame getting bent at that point. Does that make sense?

Still, the bolts Graves provides look like crap, like items that are not even meant for automotive application, so I may replace them with better bolts that are still 8.8 hardness.

To the Forum moderator and to my colleagues: I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with this issue.

Mark

Hey don't be sorry! Some good info came out of it! Suppose you had replaced them and you had a mishap. You might have had some serious damage that could have been avoided. And now everyone knows too! Thanks for bringing it up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts