Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha R3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Riders!!
Im thinking to get an R1, I'm a lean guy at 5’7 and 135pound. I have a decent riding experience, i put 8k+ miles on my R3 and rode an rx100 for about 5k miles.
So far im positive that i’ll be able to handle this beast but your advise and suggestions will definitely help!! Please let me know what you think..
Thanks!!

·
Venom X/O
23,855 Posts
The bike was designed for someone your size honestly. The springs are too strong for your body weight; but you could take all the preload out and she’d be a little stiff but manageable. She’s a little tall so you’d be on your toes at stops, but nothing that isn’t manageable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a professional adjust the suspension to your weight when you first get it.

The average moto gp rider is 5’8” and 143lb so you should be race ready straight out of the box
I wouldn't even call that the average. I'd say that's on the larger scale.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Despite the common knowledge that Japanese bikes come out of the factory for lighter build people, I would still go get the suspension dialed in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would get the suspension dialed in regardless of of my height and weight, it’s the first thing anyone should have on the ”to do” list.
Despite the common knowledge that Japanese bikes come out of the factory for lighter build people, I would still go get the suspension dialed in.

·
The wife likes my R6 better.
2 Posts
Year is important since the geometry for each generation is different. How you're gonna ride it is probably the biggest factor. I've had 3 R6's and 2 R1's and comparing similar generations to each other the R6 is more compact then the comparable R1. I'm 5'9", 145 and in all situations I prefer the R6's over the R1's for comfort, and ride enjoyment. If you ride with a passenger that's also something to consider. My wife hates riding both of the R1's and prefers the 03' R6 over the '12 and '20. If you're looking for an all-round bike I'd recommend the R6 over the R1. I'd only recommend the R1 if you're racing or ride with other liter bikes that are always riding wide open and you'd struggle to keep up. Both of my R1's are dedicated track bikes now since I never ride them on the street. The '06 R1 is the most uncomfortable of all 5, the '15 R1 is more comfortable but still feels big.

If you can, test ride as many bikes as you can before you decide. IMO Honda sits high and Suzuki feels wide, I've only ridden 1 Kawasaki, an '07 626 a few times and I liked it and so did the wife.

·
Just Me.
283 Posts
Considering most/many pro riders, MotoAmerica, Superstock 1000, MotoGP, WSBK, are around your size, I think you'll be fine. Go look at some of the pro racer sizes. You not too far from the mark, seriously.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,251 Posts
shorty.. 🙊

had to be said :p

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha R3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I’m in the bayarea, Any suggestions on a local place in norcal where i can get suspension adjusted?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts