Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Austin Racing GP1 exhaust about a month ago and I asked about how long I am looking at since it has been a month and they said they were looking at mid February ship date. I said wow! I just sent them a email asking if I could just cancel the order and was thinking about ordering something I could get here in the states. Was thinking about the Graves 3/4 carbon exhaust with brentune flash that I have already purchased but just waiting on exhaust before flashing. My question is what is you guys opinion on the two exhausts? looks like the graves does not have the bungs for the O2 sensor plugs but I guess I could tie strap them up and the flash would take care of that? Let me know what yall's experience and or thoughts. Thanks!

Scott

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
117 Posts
I don't understand why you want to delete your O2 sensors? Some back pressure from a Cat is good for the engine's scavenging effect; and it's as easy as drilling some holes in the correct location for the O2 sensors to fit in the exhaust.

Font Number Document Electric blue Parallel

The argument if MotoGP does it, it's better; definitely isn't always the case.. but the benefits of some parts commonly go unrealized, so I thought it would at least be worth mentioning

· my genius knows no bounds
589 Posts
if you look closer at the graves exhaust i assume youre looking at, graves mentions that they can add in the bung for the 20+ models. graves is overpriced but the quality is unmatched. those welds are sexy.

another one to consider which generally ships quicker and will probly be the one i get is racefit.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you look closer at the graves exhaust i assume youre looking at, graves mentions that they can add in the bung for the 20+ models. graves is overpriced but the quality is unmatched. those welds are sexy.

another one to consider which generally ships quicker and will probly be the one i get is racefit.
Thanks for the information …. After I emailed Austin Racing they emailed me next day and said it shipped. 🙄

so I guess I will install it and if I end up not liking It I will sell it lol.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update.... I got the Austin exhaust in and removed the original cat and exhaust along with the exhaust servo and cables. Installed the Austin Link pipe and exhaust connected the graves servo eliminator relay and started it up and no codes. The exhaust sounded a little loud in the garage even with the DB killer in for my liking but it looks great. I will have to get it out on the road when I can and test it to see more about the sound. I have to do the Brentune flash today and send to them and get the map back and install and it will be ready to roll. I did look up Austin/Graves and Akra exhausts and according to their decibal readings they are all very close with DB killer in. I know my Akra on my MT-09 I just traded in for the R1 was definitely not as loud as this Austin Exhaust but Akrapovic says it was 102.5 db at 5000 rpm and Austin racing says their GP1 is 103 db at 5500 rpm both with db killer in, but my ears say different lol.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I got the bike out Saturday for a bit and man this dang Austin Racing exhaust is just flat out too loud for my liking so I guess I am going to be ordering the Graves 265mm 3/4 exhaust. Has anyone heard both exhausts in person? Is the Graves a lot easier on the ears?

· my genius knows no bounds
589 Posts
arent they all loud? the graves that everyone always gets is the usual full carbon sleeve one, and damn its long (too long, fuckin log sticking out off the end of the bike) and even it is listed on their site as being 90db at idle, 106.5 at 5k rpm.

granted, some just seem louder than others but it sounds like youre just trying to stay a little too close to the noise level of a stock bike? once you lose that huge cat underneath, youre in a new category of exhaust noise =D

so there are probly 2 ways to address it.. a db killer insert type of thing in the graves (their exhaust never sounded as loud as all the usual others, to me) or MAYBE the graves exhaust that uses the flapper valve. but then youre probly back to square one with tuning. graves talks alot about FTecu and theyre pretty solid with it but who knows what real tweaking theyve done regarding the 20+ bikes.

could also maybe try simple stuff like earplugs..

· Administrator
27,555 Posts
Ok, I got the bike out Saturday for a bit and man this dang Austin Racing exhaust is just flat out too loud for my liking so I guess I am going to be ordering the Graves 265mm 3/4 exhaust. Has anyone heard both exhausts in person? Is the Graves a lot easier on the ears?
Not a lot... but a little. Wear your earplugs!

· Administrator
27,555 Posts
the graves that everyone always gets is the usual full carbon sleeve one, and damn its long. Too long, fuckin log sticking out off the end of the bike
Ummm... that looks like the perfect length to me. It doesn't even come close to going past the tire and lines up perfectly with the tail.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
117 Posts
I've experiemented with the dynamic exhaust, I advise that. While it's nice to be quiet around town and while police are in proximity... It also is like having weighted wings when your riding

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
arent they all loud? the graves that everyone always gets is the usual full carbon sleeve one, and damn its long (too long, fuckin log sticking out off the end of the bike) and even it is listed on their site as being 90db at idle, 106.5 at 5k rpm.

granted, some just seem louder than others but it sounds like youre just trying to stay a little too close to the noise level of a stock bike? once you lose that huge cat underneath, youre in a new category of exhaust noise =D

so there are probly 2 ways to address it.. a db killer insert type of thing in the graves (their exhaust never sounded as loud as all the usual others, to me) or MAYBE the graves exhaust that uses the flapper valve. but then youre probly back to square one with tuning. graves talks alot about FTecu and theyre pretty solid with it but who knows what real tweaking theyve done regarding the 20+ bikes.

could also maybe try simple stuff like earplugs..
Here is my first R1 from about 20 years ago! Talk about a log 😂🤣😂

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts