Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Is this further proof that manual suspension is better than auto/electronic suspension on the track. 馃

And to think, the Suzuki has well over 55,000 miles. Phew!!

SuperbikeUnlimited.com
Ari is a hell of a rider. Been on track with him out at chuckwalla.

I only had one bike with ers. Just my M. Its fun, easy to ride on track to my level. I guess the pro's feel the suttle differences...cuz my slow ass dont lol.

Now I am really debating buying my buddies K6 that is cherry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Venom X/O
Naw, they switched bikes to debunk that. Somebody didn鈥檛 watch the full video. 馃槀
That鈥檚 not really a debunk though, because what would be better would be gutting the e-suspension and putting manual, then cutting lap times on the same bike. But again, racers of all caliber already do that world wide so we knew the answer

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
That鈥檚 not really a debunk though, because what would be better would be gutting the e-suspension and putting manual, then cutting lap times on the same bike. But again, racers of all caliber already do that world wide so we knew the answer
The point was to show that the lastest and greatest out of the box (a Ducati that cost nearly $30,000) doesn鈥檛 always outperform the old fateful.

At nearly $30,000 I鈥檇 like to know that I can be quicker and more comfortable on the bike than I would on a bike that worth about $4,000.

Venom X/O
The point was to show that the lastest and greatest out of the box (a Ducati that cost nearly $30,000) doesn鈥檛 always outperform the old fateful.

At nearly $30,000 I鈥檇 like to know that I can be quicker and more comfortable on the bike than I would on a bike that worth about $4,000.
Eh, that鈥檚 not a strong argument because new bikes barely outperform 90鈥檚 bikes with an average rider.

This is a sport of 10ths, so I could absolutely see the justification of the new bike cost considering the adjustability the new bikes have.

Registered
This is one of the reasons I rebuilt my 06 motor. Great suspension set up and it was way cheaper than a new 2018 or 2019 R1 (although I really wanted a new one, ha ha). I love the 06 too much to give up on it and who really needs all that fancy stuff anyway (want is a different story than need, and it鈥檚 ok if you want it. This is the first world still).

Unacceptable
This is one of the reasons I rebuilt my 06 motor. Great suspension set up and it was way cheaper than a new 2018 or 2019 R1 (although I really wanted a new one, ha ha). I love the 06 too much to give up on it and who really needs all that fancy stuff anyway (want is a different story than need, and it鈥檚 ok if you want it. This is the first world still).
I still have my 2006 G1K, bought new and on its second motor after the original ate a main bearing at 60,000 miles. Sadly I'm considering selling it since I haven't ridden it since 2014. :( However, I do have enough spares to essentially build another one (I can still get engine parts). She was a solid performer; just upgraded the suspension with an Ohlins shock and Traxxion fork carts.

Plastic surgery pending
They admitted the suspension wasn't set up properly for them with the Ducati. They might have gone a little quicker at least, but that said it was an impressive showing for the old Gixxer.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Eh, that鈥檚 not a strong argument because new bikes barely outperform 90鈥檚 bikes with an average rider.

This is a sport of 10ths, so I could absolutely see the justification of the new bike cost considering the adjustability the new bikes have.
No adjustments with the Ducati鈥檚 suspension made it faster than the Suzuki. The spring on the Ducati would have to be replaced in order to outperform it. They played with all the settings after data logging laps.

Still gotta give up for the Suzuki.

Plastic surgery pending
No adjustments with the Ducati鈥檚 suspension made it faster than the Suzuki. The spring on the Ducati would have to be replaced in order to outperform it. They played with all the settings after data logging laps.

Still gotta give up for the Suzuki.
Yeah, so spring is one. They didn't say how much faster they went on the Suzuki with identical tires. If it's a small fraction, and you figure if they fix the spring, they might go a fraction quicker on the Ducati. Hard to say. I haven't seen a full test (44teeth has one in the works) recently, but I'd be curious to see how riders on average fare on the Ducati vs its rivals. I feel like the Aprilia and BMW may edge it out. Even with all the improvements they've put in, Ducatis seemingly still don't behave the best.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
I don鈥檛 think this proves anything other than 鈥渁 properly set up bike out performs an improperly set up bike鈥 on track
Yes but what about the extra money spent into the suspension of the Ducati that is suppose to have a huge variety of adjustments

They were able to turn quicker lap times for about $4,000 vs turning slower lap times for $30,000 which was the entire point of the video hence the title 鈥淗alf-Price Hack鈥

I think all the people involved in creating this video on such a professional level with all the research and time put into proved their point quite well.

Plastic surgery pending
Yeah, so spring is one. They didn't say how much faster they went on the Suzuki with identical tires. If it's a small fraction, and you figure if they fix the spring, they might go a fraction quicker on the Ducati. Hard to say. I haven't seen a full test (44teeth has one in the works) recently, but I'd be curious to see how riders on average fare on the Ducati vs its rivals. I feel like the Aprilia and BMW may edge it out. Even with all the improvements they've put in, Ducatis seemingly still don't behave the best.
Speak of the devil and...they shall appear.

12 mins in, myself.
edit: should mention that they left Kawasaki and Suzuki were left out because they said they just weren't competitive to the rest for this test. Make of it what you will. They seemed to quite like the GSX-R1000R in the past.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts