Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
I miss my R1
3,398 Posts
They didn't say they left out Kawi and Suzuki because they weren't competitive, they said they left them out because the stock brakes are rubbish and fade almost immediately. Yamaha's brakes are decent enough for the regular bike, but the R1M really needs some decent Brembos to compare with the big boys, IMO.

·
Venom X/O
24,202 Posts
Yes but what about the extra money spent into the suspension of the Ducati that is suppose to have a huge variety of adjustments

They were able to turn quicker lap times for about $4,000 vs turning slower lap times for $30,000 which was the entire point of the video hence the title “Half-Price Hack”

I think all the people involved in creating this video on such a professional level with all the research and time put into proved their point quite well.
I don’t deny the premise of the video, there are just holes.
  • is the GSXR suspension new technology or is it from 2005?
  • the Duc wasn’t set up correctly, the GSXR was race ready
  • expensive doesn’t = best

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,593 Posts
They didn't say they left out Kawi and Suzuki because they weren't competitive, they said they left them out because the stock brakes are rubbish and fade almost immediately. Yamaha's brakes are decent enough for the regular bike, but the R1M really needs some decent Brembos to compare with the big boys, IMO.
Ahh gotcha. Haha as a relatively new viewer of their content, I've already seen enough brake fade horror moments in their videos to understand why they skipped over the Gixxer, then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
to be honest, most people probably would hop on any motogp bike and think the suspension isn't right. lets face it, most suspension settings come down to rider skill and attitude.

and if you guys are wondering what happened to henning's face. he had a firework accident before they quit working at motorcyclist and moved to this new venture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I probably should have named the title of this thread differently.
I get what you're post is about. I like the idea of it but I'd have to test it out with a single rider on the same bike before I'd make an official decision. for myself that is. some people have a problem with trusting the electronics. my post was more about pointing out that we're all different and have different expectations, limitations, fears, feeling, etc etc. some guys back in the day loved how squirmy some of the old dunlops felt. I couldn't handle it. it overwhelmed my fear factor.

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I get what you're post is about. I like the idea of it but I'd have to test it out with a single rider on the same bike before I'd make an official decision. for myself that is. some people have a problem with trusting the electronics. my post was more about pointing out that we're all different and have different expectations, limitations, fears, feeling, etc etc. some guys back in the day loved how squirmy some of the old dunlops felt. I couldn't handle it. it overwhelmed my fear factor.
The thread was more so about how competitive cheap old bikes are compared to more expensive newer bikes. Regardless of rider.

That’s also what the video was about.

·
I miss my R1
3,398 Posts
The thread was more so about how competitive cheap old bikes are compared to more expensive newer bikes. Regardless of rider.

That’s also what the video was about.
But it's NOT regardless of rider... both Zack and Ari are skilled racers. Put a regular joe on those bikes and I'd bet the Ducati would be more competitive (not necessarily faster, but a lot closer, I'd bet) with it's rider aids.

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
But it's NOT regardless of rider... both Zack and Ari are skilled racers. Put a regular joe on those bikes and I'd bet the Ducati would be more competitive (not necessarily faster, but a lot closer, I'd bet) with it's rider aids.
I can’t really say I agree.

Help me understand: Why don’t the rider aids help the skilled racers turn faster laps?

·
I miss my R1
3,398 Posts
Because a skilled rider/racer doesn't need them to go fast but a less skilled rider would possibly gain an advantage by having advanced electronics there to allow them to push harder more safely.

Zack and Ari are both familiar with how to rider a bike at 100% without needing TCS/etc and I would guess neither have raced in a series that uses electronics (I think Ari mostly races in smaller classes anyway).

Also they may have been a riding a bit within themselves on the V4S because who wants to crash a 25k bike that doesn't belong to you?

Alternatively, I guess the new Pangiale is garbage.

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Because a skilled rider/racer doesn't need them to go fast but a less skilled rider would possibly gain an advantage by having advanced electronics there to allow them to push harder more safely.

Zack and Ari are both familiar with how to rider a bike at 100% without needing TCS/etc and I would guess neither have raced in a series that uses electronics (I think Ari mostly races in smaller classes anyway).

Also they may have been a riding a bit within themselves on the V4S because who wants to crash a 25k bike that doesn't belong to you?

Alternatively, I guess the new Pangiale is garbage.
So amateurs should buy $30,000 bikes so they can go fast?

·
I miss my R1
3,398 Posts
So amateurs should buy $30,000 bikes so they can go fast?
Yeah because that's what I said... I said less skilled (not amateurs) would likely benefit more from rider aids than pros.

Regardless of the Ducati, it's never been a secret that a used bike with the right "go-faster" parts is amazing bang for the buck. Find a stock 2k5 and do this test over and I bet the results would be different.

·
Venom X/O
24,202 Posts
That’s why I asked, is the k5 on new suspension technology? Cause if that’s the case then it takes other factors. Like I said, you’re talking about a sport of .10ths, and the average rider doesn’t need a fuel injected bike if we are going to talk semantics

plus the Ducati wasn’t properly set up for them

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That’s why I asked, is the k5 on new suspension technology? Cause if that’s the case then it takes other factors. Like I said, you’re talking about a sport of .10ths, and the average rider doesn’t need a fuel injected bike if we are going to talk semantics

🤣 Rather if the Suzuki was on new suspension or not was not the point of the video. The name of the video is “Half-Price Hack” 🤣

·
I miss my R1
3,398 Posts

It had race-tech forks and rear shock, IIRC.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts