Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any idea on how many miles on avg before a possible rebuild is necessary, reason I ask is because Im thinking of buying a 99 R1 with 21k miles on it. THx

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
MartinC's has over 100k miles...

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
As long as it was maintained properly or halfway properly, 21K miles is nothing. Most modern bike engines are pretty much bulletproof as long as you take care of them. The factories pretty much have to make stuff idiot proof. You'll be fine, as long as it was taken care of.

On the flip side, you could get a bike with 10K miles on it and it could be a real POS if it wasn't maintained properly.

It all comes down to maintenance.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Completely depends on how well it was maintained and used....

2nd gear is a problem in pretty much all bikes. If you are not a smooth shifter, then you will eventually have problems...

- BA

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
Change the oil & filter regularly and follow the maint. interval from your owner's manual, your bike will last for long time. One of the big thing to look for is 26000 miles valve adjustment.

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
JamminR1 said:
I once met a guy riding a '98 R1 that had over 185,000 miles on it!!!:scared :eek: :riding
Hehe 185K, I wonder what the resell value was for that. :crash

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
yamaWHORR said:
wasnt there an old dude on this forum with an r1 with over 200,000 miles on his bike? hows that for mileage! :eek: :eek: :eek:
martin's not that old:lol and his bike's only done a 100 or so.:riding :lol :lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey guys, my bike has 17.5K on it. i'm just wondering if i've hit or passed the service interval. isn't there a service at 16K? something like and valve job or something like that?

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
ixracex4xpho said:
hey guys, my bike has 17.5K on it. i'm just wondering if i've hit or passed the service interval. isn't there a service at 16K? something like and valve job or something like that?
Valves are at 26k... There is a service at 16k but it is only a standard one (oil, filter, plugs, etc).... I personally perform the services as stated in the owner's manual every 4k (but change oil in between every 2k)...

- BA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts