Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Beautiful!! Absolutely love it.
The most collectible of all!! First year, white and red!
The Icon!

Please post more photos, miles, etc!
Whether Blue/White or Red/White---those originals are definitely classics and still beautiful to look at even today!
What a great picture of the bike with the lake and mountain in the background!(y)
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Lake Lure/Chimney Rock and top of MT Mitchell-still the best day I've ever had on a motorcycle!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's a sick puppy at the moment, (I am original owner) in the shop, running very rough, and over heating. 45K MILES, have not done the valves.
The shop I use says are replacement engine, might be a good option. Or, I buy a new one (used).
I'd be very very sorry to see that baby go,,,So a new engine, might be a great solution,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whether Blue/White or Red/White---those originals are definitely classics and still beautiful to look at even today!
What a great picture of the bike with the lake and mountain in the background!(y)
View attachment 1025388
View attachment 1025389
Lake Lure/Chimney Rock and top of MT Mitchell-still the best day I've ever had on a motorcycle!!
Where is that ? I had a vacation property in N. Vermont, for 20 years, and rode exclusively there. Fantastic
roads, also N. NH and western Maine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
She's a sick puppy at the moment, (I am original owner) in the shop, running very rough, and over heating. 45K MILES, have not done the valves.
The shop I use says are replacement engine, might be a good option. Or, I buy a new one (used).
I'd be very very sorry to see that baby go,,,So a new engine, might be a great solution,
She's a beauty and worth saving. Good luck on getting the temps down.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Where is that ? I had a vacation property in N. Vermont, for 20 years, and rode exclusively there. Fantastic
roads, also N. NH and western Maine.
Sorry it took so long to reply-I guess I missed your post. Anyway, these pictures (pictures of pictures-so the quality is not good) are over twenty years old. Lake Lure and Chimney Rock are in North Carolina roughly 20 miles east of Asheville and Mt Mitchell is up on the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville and is the highest point in the United States East of the Mississippi River. First time I got my knee down was on the Blue Ridge Parkway without really trying--kinda crazy since I had done a number of track days by then and hadn't gotten my knee down yet (I know-what a squid!) and then it happens on the road--wearing JEANS for crying out loud!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply-I guess I missed your post. Anyway, these pictures (pictures of pictures-so the quality is not good) are over twenty years old. Lake Lure and Chimney Rock are in North Carolina roughly 20 miles east of Asheville and Mt Mitchell is up on the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville and is the highest point in the United States East of the Mississippi River. First time I got my knee down was on the Blue Ridge Parkway without really trying--kinda crazy since I had done a number of track days by then and hadn't gotten my knee down yet (I know-what a squid!) and then it happens on the road--wearing JEANS for crying out loud!!
Looks like fabulous riding there. I was fortunate enough to have a 2nd home in Northern Vemont for over 20 years. The roads there were phenomenal, and less than 1 minute in any direction to wide open spaces. But my alltime favorite, and one of the best kept secrets in motorcyling is NH 26 then Maine 16 & 27, right upto and through the Canadian border.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, my 98, as depicted above, started to overheat, lucky I was close to my prefered service shop, close to my work.
After a month, the conclusion is that it's not economically repairable. They are looking at a replacement (used ) engine, maybe from a low mileage wreck. Any with experience as to which R1 engines fit into 98/99 & 2K 01 ?
I'd love another 10hp at the RW and would like DFI with working RAM air.
I might send the engine to a tuner, before the installation, maybe a port-polish job.

Some have advised me the bike is a write off, and I should just walk away. A new R7 or MT10 might be options, OR I'd prefer a newer used R1, but they are hard to come by...
I'm up in Toronto, Canada. I'm not very good or experienced scouring the used for sale lists...

Any thoughts, advice ?
M

·
Registered
93 Posts
View attachment 1025388
View attachment 1025389
I know what your talking about all the time I ride my blue 2000 R1 everyone says nice bike and look good they used to have one back in the day everyone miss them he a photo of my bike need to update photo
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 23 Posts