Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a cat delete(using stock slip on), ais delete (removed and capped the ais)and I am running a k&n air filter. I did a flash tune and i am running the unrestricted map. I am getting backfiring during upshifts and during engine breaking. What would cause this? I am looking at getting it dyno tuned soon.

·
Super Moderator
24,342 Posts
OK, spell it with me now... b... r.... a... k... i... n... g. Well done! :crash

You need to get some block-off plates. Graves or Driven. Won't stop it totally but you will notice a big difference.

Ahhh... just saw that you said capped. I'm guessing that is with the block-offs. The backfiring should be better with the block-offs, so now I'm not sure what to say. Getting your bike dyno tuned with the flashtune software is a must have. So try that and report back.

Also, I'd suggest calling the guys at Superbike Unlimited. They are very knowledgeable about flashing the R1 and all things associated with it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
in the additional settings for the tune where it says "disable injector decl cut" leave it false, if you disable that then on deceleration it will still continue to fuel and you will get a lot of popping. the occasional pop isn't a big deal but it can be removed with some tuning. the upshift backfire is because when you upshift its safer to cut the spark to the cylinders for a split second and that unloads the gears and does the shift then engages the coils again. they cut spark instead of fuel and then when it activates again it ignites the fuel that was pushed through the cylinders into the exhaust. no way around that on its the way it was designed to work. totally normal and nothing unhealthy about it i would't worry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same thing and at strong engine breaking it feels like its a non stop pop. It keeps popping till god knows when. However i normally use my clutch as it sometimes gets really disturbing.

I will be getting block off plates but i wanted to know does this (decel pops) affect the engine in the long run?

Ffs i had to get 3 O2 sensor plugs until i realised i have to weld that s*** onto the screw to make sure it wont get pushed out cuz of the excessivepressure the pops are making.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have the same thing and at strong engine breaking it feels like its a non stop pop. It keeps popping till god knows when. However i normally use my clutch as it sometimes gets really disturbing.

I will be getting block off plates but i wanted to know does this (decel pops) affect the engine in the long run?

Ffs i had to get 3 O2 sensor plugs until i realised i have to weld that s*** onto the screw to make sure it wont get pushed out cuz of the excessivepressure the pops are making.
no it does;t affect the engine and you don't have to weld the plugs on there isn;t really excess pressure it will make no difference. if your bike flashed already?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts