Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bite me...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Challenge for the day. I'm helping a friend set-up her dial-up AOL acct on a PC at a new place. I Installed AOL 9.0, it automatically tries to dial the 800# to update the phone book, but it won't maintain the connection for more than 30 seconds and disconnects me. I tried installing AOL 8.0 and even did a direct dial to MY Earthlink server in a different area code... but still no worky... :(

Both AOL and Earthlink work fine on the PC when I tested it at my house (45 miles away), but the dayam thing won't work at her place. I know phones lines effect connection rates, but can they prevent a connection completely??? :dunno Any thoughts would be appreciated...

If it makes a difference, here's some additional info:
The house is in North Hollywood, CA
System: P2, running on XP (yes, a Pentium II)

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
sounds like a problem with noise on the line.
Can you hear static, even faintly, when you pick up the line?
If so you might have problems no matter what.

·
Bite me...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dayam, i do actually ... you can hear the usual dialing and tones from the modem but it sounds like crap... The usual sounds but they're are all muffled and buried in static... i guess i'll call the local phone company and see if other people nearby have the same problem. Thx Budha.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
no problem, trust me this is something i deal with every day at my "work"

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Bad phone lines contribute to about 85% of peoples dial-up connection issues. The other 15% are Conexant software modems, lol.

When you call the phone company ask them to send a phone tech to check the lines for static. If it occurs before it hits the house, it's their job to fix it. If it is clear to the house and it's the bad phone lines from the box, then it will be your responsibility, unless she has line insurance. A spanking brand new phone line from the box outside to the PC inside can work wonders for a dial-ip connection. Been there, done that.

·
Bite me...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool deal. I'm gonna head over to her place this weekend and hopefully get this resolved. Thx for the ammo guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts