Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have a quick question. On my 06 R1 I started to learn wheelies in first gear by clutching it up. I never went and tried 2nd gear, I didnt want to be going too fast so I stuck with 1st.

Now in 1st gear I almost never was able to catch that balance point. I could clutch it up as slow as 15mph and ride out the entire gear but sometimes I found myself flying through the gear. It was very rare that I could slowly creep through the gear and ride out a good amount of ground, and I never was able to keep it at one speed.

I am just wondering if it was because 1st gear is harder to get the balance point. Is 2nd gear any easier since the throttle response isnt as intense? I will be picking up my 08 tomorrow and hope for some slightly warm days to get some practice in once I get past the break in.

Check this video out tell me what I am doing wrong! PS, as you can see they are all sit downs. I tried to do a staggard stand up and the position totally freaked me out. I didnt even clutch it up, once I placed my foot over the left passenger peg the bike started to do a little wobble and I got scared. I am determined to learn stand-ups this coming season!

Any tips/pointers would be appreciated!

VIDEO:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZuxAo8mQ8fo

PS:

Here are a couple of pics showing the height I usually ride my wheelies at. Is this high enough for me to be near the balance point? Or Do i need to go further back!? It feels like if I go any further back my butt starts hanging off the seat and I find myself hanging onto the handlebars!!

·
she drags knees
1,153 Posts
I am just wondering if it was because 1st gear is harder to get the balance point. Is 2nd gear any easier since the throttle response isnt as intense? I will be picking up my 08 tomorrow and hope for some slightly warm days to get some practice in once I get past the break in.
First gear is actually the easiest gear to get to the balance point BUT the hardest to remain at the balance point because of the torque. Second gear would be slightly harder to get to the balance point BUT easier to maintain it.

Some of the guys stunting the R1 have done the f4i throttle conversion. Best of luck, ride safe.

·
Listen to Black Sabbath
458 Posts
No advice here, just wanted to say that the video was cool. I prefer videos without shitty music. The sound of a clutch wheelie is one of the coolest sounds when done right. But people always feel the need to dub in crappy "heavy metal".

·
Downunder wonder
62 Posts
1 buy a leather jacket or at least take a pic of your back before and after. 2nd gear is much easier to control because it all happens slower. Try clutching it up at 50-60mph in second allow the torque of the motor to lift the front then slowly drive it up higher from there.

good luck.

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In those pictures and with regular riding I wear a icon field vest that somewhat protects the spine and back. I know its not as effective as a leather but its what I feel like wearing so thats how it goes

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
Couple of things i see, you are getting close but to slow it down in first you need to pop it up even higher. You arent at balance point yet. Try letting the clutch out smoother and just lightly rolling on the throttle after its let out till you get to balance point, but cover the rear brake! I used to scrape my 02 r1 tail light on the ground on the streets.

·
Talk to me Goose
1,703 Posts
No advice here, just wanted to say that the video was cool. I prefer videos without shitty music. The sound of a clutch wheelie is one of the coolest sounds when done right. But people always feel the need to dub in crappy "heavy metal".
i totally agree with you. sounds awesome. wheelies look good man. I just say keep at it, you'll find a way to get it where you want it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+ 2 on the "no music, just motor." That's precisely how mine sounds when I play in 1st. 2nd gear sounds even worse...........to the point that I scare the shit out of everyone around me, including my friends. If he is not slipping the clutch right, then how the hell do you do it? Any slower and you have no rpm, any faster and things happen so fast that it becomes easy to hit the ground.

In that vid that KOTEC82 posted.................is that guy running stock gearing or somewhat close (+1, -2)?

·
Listen to Black Sabbath
458 Posts
I think the second video is running some sort of stunt gearing. Plus his rear tire looks like it only has about 15 lbs. in it. The engine rev just seems way to mellow to bring a stock bike up like that.
But what the hell do I know.

·
kicks ass and takes names
116 Posts
for me the easiest gear is 2nd just stand on the front pegs going about 55 and hit it and my gsxr comes up without clutch....my r1 i clutch because it just feels smoother on that bike....their all a little different

·
up on one
248 Posts
It sounds n looks like your getting the bike snapped up right away when you clutch it which is good, a lot of people bring up the front to slow so they use a lot of there rpms just bringing up the front end.

It looks like your getting your sit down to the same point where I ride my sitdowns...which is not close to balance point. You can see your probably at like 10 o'clock and it really doesn't get to bp untill after 11 o'clock.

On about the 2nd day of doing standups I was allready going further than any of my sitdowns. I know that doesnt help a whole lot but for me the standups are way easier to get to bp and ride out...

·
My R1 is faster than yours
1,505 Posts
like jhens said you are probably bringing up the front end to slowly so you have to run through the gear to hit bp.

id say try standups in second...its hard for me to judge sitdowns that well...idk how those guys ride long sitdown wheelies
i couldnt hit bp till i started doing standups...now i rarely do sitdowns

·
Need more power
838 Posts
look how bent your elbows are in those pics. i used to do the same thing. its like youre fighting it trying NOT to do a wheelie. scoot back on the seat slightly and straighten out those arms. the more weight you can get to the rear...the more forgiving the balance point will be.

also i would be doing them in 2nd gear. you dont need power once you clutch it up. with stock gearing i think 45mph was a nice speed. after the clutch up there will be little power at that rpm. that makes youre throttle control less twitchy.

just practice a lot. you will get it.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
lookin good man, just keep practicing!

And Please , Please dont let anything happen to that Fiat Mang!!

*But i would love to see some wheelie Pix and vids of it....
please take and Post up when you get a chance!! :boobies

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.