Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, looking for some knowledge on 98-2001 R1 Barnett spring conversion plates . The more I look at them, the more I can't help but think do I even need the plate or just the springs ??
Is there any significant difference in the Barnett pressure plate ??

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Barnett conversion changes the clutch from a diaphragm spring to coil springs. So you do need the new pressure plates, otherwise you can't fit the coil springs.

Do you have a clutch problem?

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Barnett conversion changes the clutch from a diaphragm spring to coil springs. So you do need the new pressure plates, otherwise you can't fit the coil springs.

Do you have a clutch problem?
I was just curious how different they were . My clutch plates need to be changed so since I'm in there , figured I would do some research on upgrades to the stock clutch. A lot of people like the Barnett conversion plates but I've also been looking at slipper clutches. Huge price difference though.

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another note , I have found online clutch plate kits are the same for a 2001 Fz1 and a 2001 R1 . This brings up the question if the Fz1 clutch pressure plate with springs will fit the R1 since the plates are the same size . Anyone ever tried it ?

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
my advice - dont buy it .
i have it , used it for few years , realized stock is better .
its over engineered crap , too heavy and bulky for no reason .
it is stronger then stock , but i found with good clutch plates (i use barnett kevlar plates , doh :grin2:) you dont need that extra grip . all it does is hurts your wrist with heavier pull.

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my advice - dont buy it .
i have it , used it for few years , realized stock is better .
its over engineered crap , too heavy and bulky for no reason .
it is stronger then stock , but i found with good clutch plates (i use barnett kevlar plates , doh :grin2:) you dont need that extra grip . all it does is hurts your wrist with heavier pull

I have read about the wrist pain . I've also seen a lot of mixed reviews on the Barnett Kevlar plates. Everyone rides differently so it's difficult to ween out the Crappy friction plates . Do you replace your springs too or just the plates ?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I was just curious how different they were . My clutch plates need to be changed so since I'm in there , figured I would do some research on upgrades to the stock clutch. A lot of people like the Barnett conversion plates but I've also been looking at slipper clutches. Huge price difference though.
My take on what happens with theses clutches is that over time (many years and miles), the spring weakens and the clutch starts to slip. Not realising that the clutch plates are being damaged every time it slips, people keep riding until it gets bad.

So they finally strip the clutch and replace the now worn plates. Put it back together without replacing the spring, and of course it still slips. So out comes the clutch again, and the spring is replaced with the Barnett conversion because the original spring "is shit".

For most riders, the original clutch is fine. New OE plates and spring and it will probably last for as long as the original. But if you give it a hard life, then maybe a stronger spring is a good idea. Even then, there are cheaper (and lighter) alternatives to the Barrnett. These include YEC, FJR1300, EBC or fitting 2 standard springs.

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,395 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Schmeck
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing