Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have heard many different things about this Barnett SR-3 good and bad......I dragrace my 03 R1 and I have been using the stock diaphram clutch setup.....well it works fine but I just ordered the SR-3 and I'm just wondering what you all think of it? Thanks!!! :rock

·
R1 Brian
1,456 Posts
I do a lot of Drag Racing myself. I have that setup in mine,with a Barnett Kevlar clutch. Im close to 250 pounds, and really slide the clutch, and this setup has been my tried,and true setup. I have run all 6 white ( strong ) springs, and currently run 3 of each. Plates lasted a little longer with all strong,but it was a bitch to do stop and go driving

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks Azsportbiker, thats the kind of info i'm needing to hear!! what RPM do you leave at? and is your R1 geared, extended? i just wondered if your still pulling the front wheel off the ground far enough to have to lift so you don't go over........I weigh about 160 and i'm a real small guy, which spring combo do you suggest for my best launch on the strip.....I slip the clutch from the line also........thanks,

·
R1 Brian
1,456 Posts
I found that the best gearing for myself was 1 tooth up in the back.Mine is not extended,but lowered, and strapped. I leave about 7000 rpm, and depending how easy I roll in the throttle,it will still power wheelie. It is really bad with my new motor that makes over 155hp now. I leave a little more gentle, and let the power pull me through. Best I ran on a stock motor was 10.35, and I really havent got a good pass with the new motor set up

·
F T W
35 Posts
I LOVE THE BARNETT CONVERSION KIT.I RUN ALL SIX OF THE HEAVY SPRINGS. IT WAS A LITTLE TO GET USED TO AT FIRST BUT AFTER A WHILE YOU DON'T REALLY NOTICE THE HEAVIER CLUTCH PULL.

·
170 BHP R1 GasGas 200 Duc 600m
25 Posts
I LOVE THE BARNETT CONVERSION KIT.I RUN ALL SIX OF THE HEAVY SPRINGS. IT WAS A LITTLE TO GET USED TO AT FIRST BUT AFTER A WHILE YOU DON'T REALLY NOTICE THE HEAVIER CLUTCH PULL.
Hi I'm new to the forum if just had the barnett setup & could do with sum help with instalation I'm confused about how many wear plates to use I have 7 of each steel & wear plates iv had to get rid of one wear plate on the end next to the barnett spring convertion so now the convertion slots in nicely up against one of the steel plates is this right? Cheers inadvance guys any pictures would be great

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,173 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum if just had the barnett setup & could do with sum help with instalation I'm confused about how many wear plates to use I have 7 of each steel & wear plates iv had to get rid of one wear plate on the end next to the barnett spring convertion so now the convertion slots in nicely up against one of the steel plates is this right? Cheers inadvance guys any pictures would be great
If you don't have a service manual, go to Rivayamaha.com or Ronayers.com and go to their OEM parts microfiche. Find your year and look up the clutch parts. It will give you a nice exploded view of how everything fits.

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaMC.asp

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha

Mark
99 R1

·
170 BHP R1 GasGas 200 Duc 600m
25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am currently running the barnett sr3 clutch conversion on mine with the strong springs and like the fellow above me said....its a bitch in traffic but whats performance with no pain eh?

so far i have had no problems at all...well shouldent say that lol

i just snapped my clutch cable but i think it was because of its age...i should be getting my new cable tommorow.

quick question for you guys with 01 r1's
when i shift from 1st to 2nd i sometimes get a bit of a clunk where as i sometimes shift very smoothly...ive noticed that when i shift around 4500-5000 rpms it shifts quite nicely but it varies most of the time.....is this normal or is there an optimium rpm shift suggestion for this year bike since they tend to have the 2nd gear issue???/

thanks,
robert

·
Registered
690 Posts
i am currently running the barnett sr3 clutch conversion on mine with the strong springs and like the fellow above me said....its a bitch in traffic but whats performance with no pain eh?

so far i have had no problems at all...well shouldent say that lol

i just snapped my clutch cable but i think it was because of its age...i should be getting my new cable tommorow.

quick question for you guys with 01 r1's
when i shift from 1st to 2nd i sometimes get a bit of a clunk where as i sometimes shift very smoothly...ive noticed that when i shift around 4500-5000 rpms it shifts quite nicely but it varies most of the time.....is this normal or is there an optimium rpm shift suggestion for this year bike since they tend to have the 2nd gear issue???/

thanks,
robert
Are you pulling in the clutch when you shift or are you coming off the gas just enough to unload the tranny and then shifting without pulling in the clutch? (Also known as speed shifting )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you pulling in the clutch when you shift or are you coming off the gas just enough to unload the tranny and then shifting without pulling in the clutch? (Also known as speed shifting )

I always use the clutch. Always

·
Feel the speed attack!
650 Posts
Hi guys, I just bought used Barnett SR3 conversion kit for my friend's 2003 R1 but it came with 9 black springs and 1 gold (shorter one, there's should be 6 of them like here:

right? ). Which one is stiffer, black or gold? And will those spring fit 09 r1 so I can use those 3 spare springs too? The OEM serial numbers are the same for all 06, 07 and 09 R1 models (*90501-240A0-00 **SPRING, COMPRESSION). Thanks!

·
Feel the speed attack!
650 Posts
Black springs from SR3 Barnett clutch kit seems to be stiffer as they are longer (heavy duty). Hopefully my friend has 08 R1 engine on a table for rebuilt so I had a look at the OEM clutch today and fitted those Barnett pieces I got so for 80% I'm sure they will fit 04-12 R1 clutch basket too..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts