Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Leaning is Meaning
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it was suggested by Yamaha not to replace the factory battery with a lightweight battery as it could affect the IMU. Just wondering...

Who has thrown caution to the wind and replaced their stock battery with a lightweight lithium?

I believe, Ronniek is one of these people.

Any negative effects or I imagine it might be pretty hard to tell if there is any? Unless you are pushing really hard and the IMU get confused we might never know any negative effects?

What do race teams do?

·
Registered
709 Posts
The idea I believe in keeping the same battery size and type is for the vibrations and if the smaller battery is rattling around in there you might get a slight confusion in the sensor. I doubt you would notice anything if you kept the compartment tight with the high density foam that comes with a Shorai. I'll do it when the battery is at the end of its life but that might be years from now if I look after the stock OEM one :)

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
The idea I believe in keeping the same battery size and type is for the vibrations and if the smaller battery is rattling around in there you might get a slight confusion in the sensor. I doubt you would notice anything if you kept the compartment tight with the high density foam that comes with a Shorai. I'll do it when the battery is at the end of its life but that might be years from now if I look after the stock OEM one :)
my stock R6 battery lasted 10 years 0 maintenance.

·
Leaning is Meaning
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't see how a power source of the same rating would have a neg impact on any of the electronics. the lithium battery is far more powerful than the lead acid battery.
Apparently it's not he power source that you have to worry about. It's the vibrations/isolation of IMU that is of concern apparently according to yamaha as superfly999 pointed out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Actually...we don't know if it's size or weight thats important...or both...
OE battery (1.9kg) is quite light compared to a normal size (my RSV4 battery weighted 4,4kg).

·
Leaning is Meaning
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually...we don't know if it's size or weight thats important...or both...
OE battery (1.9kg) is quite light compared to a normal size (my RSV4 battery weighted 4,4kg).
True, we don't know the true reason. They just suggested to not replace the stock battery with a lightweight battery. Guys have speculated vibrations, flopping around in battery box, weight, size, etc.

·
Collector
1,016 Posts
I put super B lithiums on all my bikes. The 5200 model capacity is close at 5.2Ah but the cca is 300A and charge retention, charge up rate is at a whole different level. The battery is essentially topped up within 5~10mins after you start your bike and charges from empty to full in under an hour with a 6A charger. The cold temp performance is also amazing for the superB's. The weight of 1.9lbs vs 1.9kg is an added bonus (especially weight up there). I am used to lithiums as I use very high power lipo packs in my rc cars. I would prefer lipos but they are a bit dangerous for use in bikes. Not all cells are made equal.

Regarding changing out the oe battery, you will notice that the oe battery is lifted up from the imu by 4 small square pads in each corner, when you replace with a lithium of different size, make sure that it is still lifted else use a carbon plate of the same size as the oe with thin rubber to separate the smaller/shorter battery from the imu. You will also want to add a strip of closed cell hd foam under the clamp plate if the thickness is different. Make sure that the cell does not slide left, right, forward, backwards or bounce up and down and you will probably be fine. The filtering algorithm must have enough margin as the vibrations with the oe will change with rpm, road surface, tires, exhaust, rider weight etc. This is just my hypothesis and I am betting on it.

·
Banned
672 Posts
I put super B lithiums on all my bikes. The 5200 model capacity is close at 5.2Ah but the cca is 300A and charge retention, charge up rate is at a whole different level. The battery is essentially topped up within 5~10mins after you start your bike and charges from empty to full in under an hour with a 6A charger. The cold temp performance is also amazing for the superB's. The weight of 1.9lbs vs 1.9kg is an added bonus (especially weight up there). I am used to lithiums as I use very high power lipo packs in my rc cars. I would prefer lipos but they are a bit dangerous for use in bikes. Not all cells are made equal.

Regarding changing out the oe battery, you will notice that the oe battery is lifted up from the imu by 4 small square pads in each corner, when you replace with a lithium of different size, make sure that it is still lifted else use a carbon plate of the same size as the oe with thin rubber to separate the smaller/shorter battery from the imu. You will also want to add a strip of closed cell hd foam under the clamp plate if the thickness is different. Make sure that the cell does not slide left, right, forward, backwards or bounce up and down and you will probably be fine. The filtering algorithm must have enough margin as the vibrations with the oe will change with rpm, road surface, tires, exhaust, rider weight etc. This is just my hypothesis and I am betting on it.
I think you are right on the money. Providing that the replacement is properly secured there should be no issue at all. If someone tells me you can't do this or that but doesn't explain why I get very suspicious :eek5:

·
Collector
1,016 Posts
In the end, it all adds up, 1lb from the rear sprocket, 2lb from the chain, .3lb from front sprocket, 1.1lb from rear rotor, 1lb from exup servo, 14lb from cat, 2.4lb from battery, 1lb from ais, 1lb from bolts/nuts, etc... It is possible with carbon wheels and some other stuff to get this bike down to 400lbs kerb in street setup with half the savings in rotating mass (The last 10lbs being the hardest) and sub 380 in track trim.

·
Leaning is Meaning
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if the fit is important and I agree with you fit is important, what about the antigravity lithium battery that matches up perfectly for stock size. It's made to have the same exact size, found on hard racing website.

I've used the ballistic evo 2 on my 09 r1 and it worked great. Have no idea how the antigravity batteries work - how good they are?, but might be the way to go for an exact fit.

·
Banned
672 Posts
So if the fit is important and I agree with you fit is important, what about the antigravity lithium battery that matches up perfectly for stock size. It's made to have the same exact size, found on hard racing website.

I've used the ballistic evo 2 on my 09 r1 and it worked great. Have no idea how the antigravity batteries work - how good they are?, but might be the way to go for an exact fit.
There a many Lithium ion batteries on the market now. Antigravity is just another brand and will work fine. But if it is to live up to it's name, you must connect the flux capacitor to generate the necessary lift :icon_biggrin:

·
Banned
672 Posts
are the western pwer sports exact fit i found a cross refer for the YTZ7SHE YUASA
IT IS WPS 490-2501
You really need to measure the battery casing. Some references are for capacity and cranking current with only rough fit as far as physical dimensions. The Lithium Ion batteries are generally smaller than their acid equivalents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts