Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question for experience motorcycle owners...Just purchase a Yamaha bike cover for my R1 2005. I got a battery charger "Tender junior" 12 volt attach to it for the winter in a non heated garage. It can be cold here in winter and I wanted to leave the battery on the bike because I am starting it every week. I am worried for the bike because of vapors produce while charging the battery (even if it goes in float mode after full charge). The vapors are trapped under the bike cover...Is it safe for the bike , the paint etc..Thanks for your suggestion, J.P.

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
It will be fine. The cover isn't air tight so the gas can dissipate out from under it if any gets released at all.

·
I hate criminals
1,749 Posts
I have always had my Bike under a cover for the winter with a battery tender on it. Have not had any problems. In fact I never even thought about this until you brought it up.

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
I'd bring the battery indoors, cold can be very hard on a battery.
I don't think it is needed to start it every week, starting in very cold weather while possible isn't the greatest thing for your motor.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
It won't hurt a thing. I keep a tender on my bike all Summer with it covered up in the garage.

·
FULL THROTTLE
234 Posts
I'd bring the battery indoors, cold can be very hard on a battery.
I don't think it is needed to start it every week, starting in very cold weather while possible isn't the greatest thing for your motor.
I am thinking about bringing my battery indoors over winter, when i reconnect it will my alarm and powercommander need resetting?

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
I am thinking about bringing my battery indoors over winter, when i reconnect it will my alarm and powercommander need resetting?
Power Commanded will be the same. Alarm and remote may need to be resynced and your speedo may be in KM in stead of MPH.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
It will be fine. The cover isn't air tight so the gas can dissipate out from under it if any gets released at all.
Good comment: Even if the cover was air tight and the battery was on equalize (high rate) charge there would not be enough hydrogen gas produced by a sealed valve regulated battery to be concerned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all

Many thanks to all of you for your help...Tooo bad snow is coming down tonight and the cold weather in coming too. Just learn today, our good government of Quebec decided to raise the fee for the sport bike registration. In 2007 the cost was $320.00 for the license plate on sports bike 400 cc and up and in 2008 $667.00. More than double...What can we do !!!! Thanks again for your help, J.P.

·
I Need An R1
1,172 Posts
Well You Could...

Many thanks to all of you for your help...Tooo bad snow is coming down tonight and the cold weather in coming too. Just learn today, our good government of Quebec decided to raise the fee for the sport bike registration. In 2007 the cost was $320.00 for the license plate on sports bike 400 cc and up and in 2008 $667.00. More than double...What can we do !!!! Thanks again for your help, J.P.
Move to Vermont. I won't tell you how much I pay to get my sticker renewed every year. It would make you cry. Even though I live in CA now I still get it registered in Vermont.

All the normal stuff about your fluids, and do your battery a favor and bring it inside and plug it in.

-Gilman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vermont !!!! Wow...

I love Vermont especially Burlington were I go every year for my walk besides the lake Champlain and dinner on chuch street. And the skiing in winter is wonderfullin that state. Motorcycle rides besides lake Champlain also amazing...But down south you can ride all year....Thanks for your suggestion may be I should get a small house in Vermont...J.P. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.