Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m making this post to see if others have had the same issue and if so what’s the solution. I recently replaced my magneto after the bearing failure during which I replaced both bearings. Few weeks later I’m out with a couple friends after some hard riding I hear a rubbing noise coming from the stator. Once I’ve taken the bike apart I find that my magneto snapped and the bearing in the stator cover gave out. No biggie I replace both the magneto and bearing. I checked the starting clutch everything looked good. Day after I install new parts I go for a lil ride nothing crazy then when I get into the driveway kickstand down the bike stalls in neutral. Try to start the bike then she won’t start. I decide to pull the stair cover off just to find that the bearing blew in the cover again and the starter clutch crush washer and another washer got damaged too. Has anyone had this issue??
Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Spoke

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Gas Automotive fog light

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim Crankset

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Gear Rim

Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Circle

Gear Bicycle part Rim Auto part Machine

· An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,329 Posts
For bearings to fail like you describe, there is either end clearance issue or misalignment issue.

· An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,329 Posts
Everything is sitting correctly.. at this point I’m thinking I may have damaged the crank when the bearing blew the second time because now I barely get down the street and I blow the bearing in the stator cover.
That would fall into the misalignment issue. The shaft or boss the bearing fits on had it in a bind, subsequently causing the bearing to fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts