Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know the bearing number for the front wheel on an 04-06 r1?

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has replaced a front wheel bearing on one of these bikes yet?

Looking for a bearing number....

something like 6005, or 60/28RS.....etc

·
Local Pavement Ripper
1,669 Posts
I'm 90% sure its a 60/22DU. I have a few extra bearings in my box from a wrecked set of wheels I had. All Balls has good priced wheel bearing kits...if that's what you're looking for, comes with seals too.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I am wanting to find the size so i can price some ceramic bearing :)

I don't know if I can swing them, but I know I would really like to have them...lol

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Rumor has it on Moto GP bikes the ceramic bearings are good for around 3 or 4 mph in top speed ??
Can't back that up with any data but boy if it's true it might be worth a couple hundred bucks for a set !!

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the local fast drag guys use them and swear by them. My understanding though is they are meant to be used with the dust seals removed, which is part of their better rolling resistance.

I have already removed the dust seals from my 00 and it makes quite a difference in rolling resistance, though it makes mounting the wheels on the bike a pain in the butt as the have the physically hold the spacers as you install the wheel.

I hope to get ceramic bearings (one wheel at a time, I am poor :) and then have some custom spacers made that wil stay in place.

I also hope to ride fast motorcycles everyday and have sex with super hot young chicks everyday , and that rarely happens :)
But hey, percentage wise, some of it eventually has to pan out...lol

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
If you understand how the seals work on cartridge bearings you really don't have to remove them completely and in fact at the cost of a ceramic version I'd leave the seals in place ( to keep larger debris particles out of the bearing ) and just trim away the part of the lip seals that drag on the inner race. If I understand ceramics correctly, their sphericity is somewhere around a grade 5 ( meaning they are round to within 5 millionths of an inch ) Typical cartridge bearings in motorcycle applications are grade 25 I believe. However with ceramics because of the material they are brittle compared to carbon steel ball bearings. I've been around them and used them in the bicycle industry for a couple years now. I've seen them break when you drop them so I know first hand they are delicate if not handled properly but I have not seen a ceramic cartridge bearing for a moto wheel yet.... so I don't know if the whole bearing including races is ceramic or just the balls themselves.

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
FYI..... just find out the OD / ID and width of the bearing and you should be able to source it without knowing the bearing number. The OD and width are crucial to getting the bearing in the wheel but if it were to have a larger ID you could make reducers to fit the axle you'd be using. Potentialy you could end up with lighter parts as a result

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sorry, I was talking about what you are calling "lip" seals. I have always heard them called dust seals. I am not meaning removing any seal from the bearing it's self, as with the grease in it that would be death in short order.

I may wind up with a bearing with a larger ID as it will allow me to make a spacer that stays in the wheel when i mount it on the bike.

from pictures I have seen you can get hybrid ceramic bearings with ceramic balls and steel races, or what i want a full ceramic bearing.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting, i thought the full ceramics were better.

damn it man the choices...lol

good news is I am fairly poor so it will be a bit before I get the bearings anyway. Just need to do a bit of digging I guess.

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Oh I'm sure the full ceramics are better.... but I bet they are also more than twice the cost of the hybrids :crash

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is exactly right...lol

The normal bearings are like $10 a piece, the hybrids are like $50, the full ceramic's are like $130 a piece...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.