Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I need more money.
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna get an Akrapovic Slip-on for my 03 R1.

do I have to change something in the EFI or the EXUP ?

Or can I just install the pipe and ready to go?

Thanks.

Hope to get answers, this time.

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
I don't beleive you have to do anything with a slip on, just plop it on and ride....I don't have the same brand slip on, but I didn't do any other mods to my bike. If your putting a full sysytem on then obviously the exup goes.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
You'll be fine with just the slip on, you can map it, but it is not necessary...

Enjoy your pipe :hellobye

·
I am Evil Homer
1,628 Posts
I answered this question many times while working as a salesman.

You can bolt it on and go, but the gains you will see will mostly be sound and weight, to get the most HP out of it you need to re-map it (not necessarily a PC3, any competent shop should have and be able to program in modified maps for a slip on) and add an aftermarket air filter. K&N makes a good product.

The principle is simple, an engine is basically a pump, the more air in, the more fuel in, the more exhaust out the more power you make. Making a change to just one area will get you some improvement but nothing like you would experience by doing all three. In this case you might want to look into it. An air filter is relatively cheap, and the shop shouldn't charge you more than a half hours work to plug in a new map, once you do that you'll see real gains from your bike.

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
I noticed a fairly significant performance degredation at low to mid RPM's (normal city riding) after installing a slip-on before installing a PC3.

It will work fine bolt-n-go, but you should seriously consider adding a PC3 in the near future.

·
I need more money.
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, thanks for replys.

If I dont care about power, and all I want is looks and sound, does it ok, to run the bike with the slip-on with out pcr or air filter.

·
Mass
1,013 Posts
I'v egot the akra slip on with no remap and stock air filter, put the can an as soon as i got her home. Has over 9k km on it now , no problems at all.

Dynoed it and the curve looked excellent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts