Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whhat are the pros/cons of each system. Do belt drives waste more energy then chain drives? If they dont then why dont sport bikes have belt drives?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Belt drive isn't an option on the R1, so who cares? J/K

Seriously, Belts require less maintanence, are quieter and provide smoother power delivery. However, they can't handle as much load as a chain.

·
Banned
494 Posts
belt drive on a sportbike?? noway it will be slipping from the high torque. it just wont be strong enough. and belts are to wide. belt drives and sportbikes do not go together.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
R1rocket said:
belt drive on a sportbike?? noway it will be slipping from the high torque. it just wont be strong enough. and belts are to wide. belt drives and sportbikes do not go together.

Bro, most twins have as much or more torque than a sportbike.

·
If We're Even, I'm Leavin'
272 Posts
R1rocket said:

Smoke another one!!

Belts and Chain are almost equal and opposite.

Belt:
Pro's
Lighter, Quieter, Smooth Power Delivery
Cons'
Pulleys for belts are much heavier than sprockets and contribute to more mechanical loss

Chain:
Pro's
Sprockets are much lighter than pulleys, less mechanical loss
Con's
Noisy, Heavy

·
Achieving Ground Superiority
120 Posts
Someone should make a SHAFT-driven sportbike. That would kick ass!

What, you think I'm SERIOUS!?!:lol

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Since I've got a bike with a belt drive I'll throw in a couple of things I like/dislike:

Low power loss
Quiet
minimal maintenance
Long life (40-60k miles)
Easily adjustable
NO LUBRICATION :rock

Dislikes:

Large sprocket/cog required (width and diameter)
Expensive
Limited power service (115+ hp requires chain conversion on my bike)
Rear hub not built for high hp (bushings will shred)

Basically the first things that would happen if a belt drive were integrated to the R1 would be be either A) the rear hub bushings would give out, or B) the belt would strip itself out on the cogs. Maybe if they made a more aggressive tooth pattern it would work. Mine are shaped like large arcs. I'll have to post a close up pic of the belt later. I love the belt drive but my upgrades are going to force me to go with a chain drive.:( Just my input since I'm on the other side of the coin:yesnod

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
MACH1SMO said:
Someone should make a SHAFT-driven sportbike. That would kick ass!

What, you think I'm SERIOUS!?!:lol
It's called a Vmax:lol :sneaky

·
Registered
536 Posts
martinc said:
Correct me if I"m wrong (I may well be) but arent Buells mounted with belts?

They have nearly as much torque as today"s 1000cc superbikes...
Ah.....torque yes, but the rate at which the torque is applies (horsepower) will be the culprit of killing the belt.

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
LeenAngle said:
Ah.....torque yes, but the rate at which the torque is applies (horsepower) will be the culprit of killing the belt.
:yesnod :fact

·
Old in body ,Young at heart
132 Posts
I read in a bike mag some time back, don't ask me when, lol but the "expert" responding to the same question from a reader said that a belt that would take the horsepower of a sport bike, would need to be aprrox. 4" wide to take the same power of a chain. fyi

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
I could see that. It would need the extra real estate to absorb the initial transfer and subsequent downshifts. The One would become ugly with that much hanging off the side:lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts