Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard people, I ride with, say they changed there sprockets to -1 +2 on a 1000. I know a couple of them were good at wheelies. Not sure if that’s the reason they changed there gearing or not. I was told you lose out on your top end witch to me is no big deal. So what are the pros and cons to doing this? Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pros: you’ll get of the line better, have better acceleration through each gear, generally a more lively feel
cons: you’ll lose top speed, your speedo will need correction, it will rev a bit higher on the freeway
I found that just -1 on the front was enough for my conditions, don’t just be a sheep and follow what your mates have done work out what suits your needs and don’t be afraid to try a few different combos to get it perfect for you. Sprockets are cheap, you’ll know when you get the right setup

·
Registered
34 Posts
I literally just got my shipment of the 520 conversion kit (-1, +2) for my '18 R1. My reasoning for changing the gearing was that the gears were too long. First gear tops out at 90 MPH. With these long gears, I am unable to enjoy the RPM range without breaking the speed laws. And of course, it'll be fun to make the bike accelerate a little faster :)

Use the website below to get an estimate of how different gearing setups change your speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I literally just got my shipment of the 520 conversion kit (-1, +2) for my '18 R1. My reasoning for changing the gearing was that the gears were too long. First gear tops out at 90 MPH. With these long gears, I am unable to enjoy the RPM range without breaking the speed laws. And of course, it'll be fun to make the bike accelerate a little faster :)

Use the website below to get an estimate of how different gearing setups change your speed.
that doesnt make sense? If you cared about laws... you wouldnt be riding a 175hp liter bike on the streets... so Im not understanding how sprockets makes any bit of difference...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts