Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for a bluetooth helmet and just want the best one in my price range. I'm currently looking at the vega vtune my local honda dealer has them on clarence for 175 but I'm not sure if that is the best choice.
here are my requirements,
safety
quietness
Bluetooth phone capable
Bluetooth audio capable
Loudness of speakers
Clarity of mic
Intercom
integrated sun visor
Price <200

what are you guys using or what do you think would be the best?

·
Hey girl, ya hungry?
1,741 Posts
I say, Get u a nice arai or shoei and get the Blue Ant blue tooth system. either that one or the chatter box blue tooth. they now make a small one that isnt as bulky. make sure ur helmet has a chin curtain to keep wind turbulence to a minimum.

·
Hey girl, ya hungry?
1,741 Posts
sorry, i didnt really read over ur requirements b4 i posted. however, it seems like ur asking an awful lot for the low price ur trying to get out with. its like saying, i was to buy a new car with a turbo, 350 rwhp, remote start, 18" racing wheels, brembo brakes, HID headlights, nice sound system, $12,500!

unfortunately with these types of things, u kinda get what u pay for. blue tooth is really hit or miss when u get cheaper units. i would personally go with a quality unit, and install it in a helmet ur self.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went through the same debate as you are right now. I have a thread on here about the Scala Rider Q2 that I ended up purchasing. You can find them new on ebay for under $100. I would not reccomend buying a helmet with integrated bluetooth. They are usually very low quality helmets and the bluetooth systems are even worse. I would either wait and spend more money on a quality helmet and bluetooth system or just add one to your current helmet. The Q2 is awesome. I can have conversations going 65 mph and people at work don't even know I'm on my motorcycle!

·
There are skittles in there!!
179 Posts
I went through the same debate as you are right now. I have a thread on here about the Scala Rider Q2 that I ended up purchasing. You can find them new on ebay for under $100. I would not reccomend buying a helmet with integrated bluetooth. They are usually very low quality helmets and the bluetooth systems are even worse. I would either wait and spend more money on a quality helmet and bluetooth system or just add one to your current helmet. The Q2 is awesome. I can have conversations going 65 mph and people at work don't even know I'm on my motorcycle!
This.

I agree with everything good you said about it.
I can hear people well over 100 though and the radio on mine works excellent. You may not have your speakers in the best spot. Di you use the Velcro or try to stick them to the lining?

·
a/k/a Steph
496 Posts
+1 :thumbup

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the speakers behind my helmet liner. I know it's not the best spot but they are nice and tucked away in there. I only need to hear if my work phone is ringing, I don't ever talk while I am riding. And if you own the Q2 you know it rings crazy loud through the headphones with the volume maxed out.

·
179 Posts
I have the speakers behind my helmet liner. I know it's not the best spot but they are nice and tucked away in there. I only need to hear if my work phone is ringing, I don't ever talk while I am riding. And if you own the Q2 you know it rings crazy loud through the headphones with the volume maxed out.
Oo ok I was wondering what was going on. I have mine in the bare spot on the ears of my shoei. I have 2 so I talk to people I am riding with, on the phone and listen to the radio. I've had nothing but the best to say about them. They also have a corded mic you can purchase. I may get one for mine.

OP, you should really consider this option.

·
Douchebag
2,937 Posts
Not to threadjack, but this might help OP. Can you guys post some links to the units you are buying (or have bought) for the Q2? there is so much out there with different options it is hard to figure out what to get.

Well all allow to talk to other riders? If you buy a single, can you upgrade it to get a second unit for a passenger? How do you pair it with the phone? Do Scalas only work with scalas or can you talk to chatterbox users too? Are there any units that are not a big ugly box stuck to the side of the helmet? Do they come with radios, or do you have to get a tuner or use your phone?

these are things I've been trying to find answers too.

Thanks!

·
179 Posts
Not to threadjack, but this might help OP. Can you guys post some links to the units you are buying (or have bought) for the Q2? there is so much out there with different options it is hard to figure out what to get.

Well all allow to talk to other riders? If you buy a single, can you upgrade it to get a second unit for a passenger? How do you pair it with the phone? Do Scalas only work with scalas or can you talk to chatterbox users too? Are there any units that are not a big ugly box stuck to the side of the helmet? Do they come with radios, or do you have to get a tuner or use your phone?

these are things I've been trying to find answers too.

Thanks!
Here you go bro,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scala-Rider-Q2-Multiset-Intercom-NIB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb54bf889QQitemZ200610150537QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandiseQQvilZ1
I got mine for like 180 BIN. You can find them that low. Keep in mind, its for 2.

1. Yes you can talk to other riders.
2. Yes, if you buy one, you can buy another later and pair them.
3. There is a sequence in the manual. once you do it, they pair just like any bluetooth.
4. They only work with scalas as far as I know.
5. They do clip to the side of the helmet but are much smaller than a chatterbox.
6. The q2 does come with fm radio. There are other models that don't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well put Muddyrubberduck. I am pretty sure you can't pair them with the Chatterbox units. I can tell you that Scala/Cardo Systems also has top notch customer service. I bought mine off ebay and the charger had something loose inside it. It worked fine but I thought it might cause a problem in the future. I called tech support and had a new one in three days! Now I have a spare...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts