Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
I want one of each
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come every manual I have for motorcycles says to use engine oil for chain lube?

(suzuki even goes so far as to say NOT to use commercially available chain lubes)

How come DID chain reccomends using 80w 90 gear oil for chain lube?

How come the only people telling us to use commercially available chain lube are chain lube manufacturers and motorcycle shops that sell the stuff?

I tried for the first time using 80W90 for chain lube on my chain. It seems to work well except it makes a HORRIBLE MESS for the first few miles.

I think that may be enough to make me go back...but it sure would be nice to get more than 30K miles out of a chain and sprocket set.

OK anyone got answers for me?

·
Just ride
286 Posts
white lithem grease is the best ive used so far it sprays about like wd but it lasts longer and doesnt seem to sling off like oil

·
I want one of each
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
r1ryder1770 said:
WD40 for me
I've "heard" WD 40 is not good for o rings.

White lithium grease is interesting because that is what looks like is on new chains when they come to you whether it is on a new bike or a replacement chain in a box.

Of course the message on the box says to use 80W90 gear oil.

·
I want one of each
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That article is a good read. Thanks!

I may end up using gear oil or white lithium grease. Whatever I use, I would like to use it for the life of the chain.

I was using pj 1 blue label and then switched to the honda chain lube. I then decided to use the Honda brake cleaner as suggested on the can of honda lube to clean the chain. This happened at about 20K miles. The chain at that time seemed in excellent condition.

The chain was total crap after another 500 miles and had to be changed at 21K miles.

I didn't know whether to blame the Honda Chain lube or the Honda brake cleaner. I think it was the brake cleaner/degreaser, but now don't really trust the Honda Lube either.

PJ1 I thought was a really good lubricant, but then I started thinking when it is cold, that stuff is pretty sticky/stiff. It seems that in itself could "tear" or damage o-rings.

I tend to lube my chain every 4-600 miles, but think I will drop that to 3-400 miles between lubes.

I have always used offroad diesel to clean my chains, but think I will switch to kerosene. I don't think there is much difference between kerosene and diesel...but ???
anyone have an answer on that?

Thanks again. R1 forum rules!!!

·
X_Infantry
2,844 Posts
I have read the WD40 topics before - The stuff is unbeatable for cleaning chain crud off & if you apply it weekly I think it works pretty good... Those sticky chain lubes make a nasty mess + they collect dust / debrit that wears on the chain & sprockets...

·
I want one of each
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fozz...

I think that just like the brake cleaner, WD 40 cleans too well and breaks down the grease that is behind the o or x rings and along the pins.

I think this is why my chain went to crap so quickly.

I would like to know if anyone has done any long term tests and stuck to one chain lube or another.

Or maybe some sort of laboratory test to link with????

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Ya...bought my 04 24k miles ago brand new. Road it home, and put her up on a rear stand. Sprayed WD-40 all over it and spent the next half hour removing the stock crap that they have on the chain. I've had to adjust the chain since then a total of five times. It is only about halfway back on the swingarm and has a crap load of life left. WD-40 is all I use...bout once a week, take a rag and then wipe it off. Works great.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
freezincold said:
Hm...yeah there is quite a debate with WD 40...an inner battle...good versus evil....nevermind...i guess as long as it is slippery it will work.
I believe that is part of the argument. It's not slipery really. o-ring chains are internally lubed...as long as they are not damaged, the rings that is, they shoudl be fine. The WD-40 gets rid of the crap on the outside of the rings, less wear elsewhere....hence why I wipe it off. THe shit is actually a corosive (sp?)...so I don't want to leave it all on there, seeing as how you can never wipe it all off.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Really, all you are using chain lube for is surface (cosmetic) rust. If your O-rings are bad, the chain will be s#*t before you know it anyway. I've always used a parafin based chain wax, but it's a little messy. Last fairly well though...

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
sawdustking said:
Really, all you are using chain lube for is surface (cosmetic) rust. If your O-rings are bad, the chain will be s#*t before you know it anyway. I've always used a parafin based chain wax, but it's a little messy. Last fairly well though...
Sorry, wasn't clear. Not the outside of the chain, but outside the rings. So that would include the outside of the chain as well as the links and the spaces between. My chain has never seen rust...still looks like the day I bought the bike.

·
My R1 Rox0rs!
22 Posts
I use very expensive Industrial Gear Oil (from work) :sneaky

Basically this oil is like treacle, so what I do is put the required amount into a jam jar then into a pan of boiling water to thin the oil. I apply the oil while its hot so it can get into th O rings. When it cools it clings to the chain rather than flingng off, of course a small amount may fling off at 140mph :rock

·
My R1 Rox0rs!
22 Posts
I don't want to patronize you WD40 users but you should really think about what you doing to your poor chain and sprockets.

WD40 is a very mild lubricant, more of a release agent (as you probably know). The O rings rely on a high performance lubricant, minimum you should use is your your recommended engine oil but this can prove dangerous to oil contamination to the back tyre as it flings off at speed, I have seen and heard of a few accidents as a result of this.

Unless you lads dont mind replacing your chain and sprockets every few thousand miles I definately recommend using Gear Oil. (Read my previous post). Again, please dont flame as this is only advice as I work with this kind of thing everyday. :thumbup

Regards, and keep riding hard !

·
7 More Days 'til the '09 Debut
888 Posts
All I'm gonna say is "Don't use WD-40 on your chains!!!"

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
Originally posted by SportbikerR1
OH no the wd40 controversy!!!

check out:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/#wd40

scroll down to the wd-40 update section (heres the link)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/#wd40

As for chain lube... sorry haven't found one i like more than the others yet.

That article is junk. It is moronic to make a direct comparison between a bearing and an o-ring chain. Chains are internally lubricated, you simply need to keep it clean. Chain lube is a magnet for dirt and causes damaging buildup between the inner and outer plates. Cleaning the chain with wd40 works beautifully. Then wipe with clean rags until totally dry. I then put it in gear on the stand and spin it up while wiping carefully to remove all excess. If you do the last step be VERY careful. It is easy enough to get caught in the chain and you wont be happy. My chains/sprockets have lasted forever.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts