Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WD-40!!!!!!

I used it on my frame, swingarm, and wheels!!! It takes the chain lube right off and it leaves an awsome shine!!!!

Just wanted to share my find, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just learned about it because that's what we use to clean off our aluminum extrusions at work here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
honda cleaner on the bike. just your reg motor oil on the chain. wd attacks the oring chain. Pledge works good on the bike too, comes in the white can, cheap and works quite well.

·
CMRA #828
103 Posts
I'll take Honda Polish anyday over WD-40 and Plexus. Go down and pick up some micro-fiber rags (Wal Mart) and spray the rag not the bike and wipe without pressing down. When done, it looks like a clearcoat was sprayed on!

·
Moving sucks...
10,144 Posts
I've never had a problem using WD-40 on o-ring chains. It cuts the existing, cruddy lube off the chain quite well. Dry the chain off and then reapply the lube of your choice. I personally use Chain Wax, it dries quite well and you have mimimal fling off.

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Honda Cleaner is the End-All Be-All of bike cleaning. Buy it by the case. It's funny to go into my home dealer who sells exclusively Japanese bikes and see Harley Riders come in with their tail between their legs buying a case of Honda cleaner because the Harley dealership next door doesn't offer anything better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use simple green to get the caked on grease off. I don't use anything on the chain though. Tried for hours with dish soap to get grease off the corner of the swing arm then used simple green and it took it right off.

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
I use Kerosine on my chain. I wipe it down, rub it off. I let my bike sit a while to dry the chain/kerosine. I go for a spin to warm it up. When I get home I put chain wax on it. Then I rub the outer plates again with kerosine. That way I have wax on the o-rings, but my gold chain is nice and shiney. As for the rest of the bike....after every ride I spray it with Meguiars quick detail. And of course I polish and wax it 1-2 times a month. I clean my rims with spray rim cleaner when I wash my bike. For upkeep, I use Mr. Metal polish or NEVR-DULL. (I have polished rims) That's about it I guess!

·
Registered
186 Posts
For the plastics and the tank and windscreen I use a car product. I can not recall the name but it is used inbetween washes and contains some wax so the bike is always looking clean. I think it might be Wipe and Shine. For the rims and everything else use windex it takes off the grease well, simple gree works great too.

When I wax it I use the spray wax, works the best and is simple to get off.

·
Jacksonville Jaguars Baby!!
116 Posts
Honda Polish

It's called Honda Polish and it's available at pretty much any motorcycle dealership/parts store. It's awesome for everything on the bike except the chain. I even use it on my helmet and shield.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
WD-40 is great for cleaning the chain! I wipe my chain down with WD-40 a good 30-40 times while cleaning it (until there is no dirt on the rag). I then go for a 10-20 minute ride to get the chain nice and hot.
I then come home and spray the chain with Chain Wax.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
oh, almost forgot. When I clean my bike, I use any automotive soap, water, and Honda Polish!
I also try to give the fairings a good coat of wax every 1-2 months!

·
Judo CHOP!
1,447 Posts
I guess I don't know if this is a regional product, or if it's offered everywhere, but Wizards Mist & Shine detailer. It is BY FAR the greatest product for keeping a bike clean. Particularly the plastic and wheels. I just sold a '99 R1 that was in showroom condition and it's because of Wizards. The bike never saw water. Twice I got caught in the rain, and once I hosed it down because I spilled gas on it. Otherwise, this product was all the plastic saw. It takes bugs and grease and grime off it like nothing. Plus it has the finish of a good wax. It smells great too (which, unfortunately attracts bees LOL).

And I don't even work for this company! Nor do I own stock.

·
Judo CHOP!
1,447 Posts

·
R1 Brian
1,456 Posts
I use S100. It works great, and really has good grease removal agents. They market it a lot for the Harley crowd, and if it will clean the oil and crap off of thier bikes.. I also get it free,so that helps, but I would buy it if I had to.. Just my .03

1 - 20 of 48 Posts