Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which year do you think is the best looking R1? Forget about specifics like color etc... just the overall - function meets form aspect of the bike?

For me its either the 2000 - 2001 or the 2004 - 2006...

I'm curious to see what most folks think because lord knows I'm not most folks!

:D

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts

· Build Quality Police
923 Posts
Without doubt 2006.

The slightly longer swingarm makes it look slightly better than 2004-2005...

· Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have had the 07 and now got the 09 and I have to say the 09 all the way there is just something about the front end on the 07 that I don't like i always thought that it looked like an angry ant

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
Which year do you think is the best looking R1? Forget about specifics like color etc... just the overall - function meets form aspect of the bike?
1998-99 - pure function and ground-breaking performance.
2000-01 - further refinement
2002-03 - best function, sharpest lines, most useable power and torque
2004 - the year after Ducati debuted the 999, with the bread-box, underseat exhaust can, fans decried the design and, even though regarded as a better bike, was largely shunned. Yamaha took note and said, "why don't WE do a dual, underseat exhaust?" And so began the weight gain and putting 50% extra exhaust piping up high, where it does nothing to improve handling.
2009 - redesign to return to useable power but still with the excess exhaust piping and weight.
2015 - back to ground-breaking, finally getting rid of the dual, underseat exhaust for better mass-centralization but with a tail that looks copied from the Ducati Panigale, exhibiting the same vent structure first shown in the 1098 in 2007 and continuing into its present form in the Panigale, starting in 2012. I think it has great potential and seems to be the same ground-breaking type of bike the '98 was, I just wish Yamaha would stop taking their cues from Ducati.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.