Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pick a motard but not sure as to which one to work with. I like the suzuki drz 400sm because of the larger displacement than Yami's 250 or Kawi's 250 but not completely sold on it. Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
What's your intended purpose? Track only, or street riding? There's a big difference between them.

Also, if it's street, are you looking at city speed riding (55mph and below) or being able to get up to interstate speeds (70mph)?

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
If you've been riding sportbikes then more than likely a 250 ain't gonna get the juices flowing.

GO 450...

There are TONS of CR450's & YZ / WR450's already ready to rock on Supermotojunkies or Thumpertalk for sale.

Shit, buy a new one & build it up like I did, lots of fun & pride.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
I'd love to rock a 450....but I want a plate on my SuMo, and plating a 450 in NY is borderline next to impossible.

An Aprilia, Husky or KTM would be awesome, and they come plated and powerful. Bit expensive tho to both buy and maintain.

I've got a DRZ, and what it lacks in sex appeal and outright power it makes up for in being cheap to buy, run, insure and maintain. You can't kill the damn thing, and compared to the boutique brands, it's virtually maintenance free. And with a MONSTER aftermarket, carbs/cams/big bores/strokers can up the power potential in a big way.

·
iMotard
34 Posts
ktm 690, husqvarna 510 or 630, husaberg 570, aprilia sxv 450 or 550. All good choices, just make sure you know what the maintenance intervals are like before you commit, because none of those brands are cheap to fix.

DRZ400 is a good all around bike, but personally I feel that they lack power for what they weigh. But there is plenty of aftermarket support for the drz that will fix that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Fvckin mental Rza amazing build

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
not done yet donnie we might be planning to put a 1098 motor in her soon....with a nickel plated frame and gp-10 bodywork..jus gota wait till panigale s arrives..ive got plenty of people putn dibbs already on my ncr built desmo thats in there already....decisions...decisions....thanx for the comp

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think (from what I've gathered reading about Supermoto's because I have my eye out for one aswell) DRZ's have the least amount of servicing intervals and are alot cheaper to service than say, husa's or aprilia (who are dead expensive)

I'm curious to the servicing intervals of makers like KTM?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
arcenik
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing