Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truth: I DO NOT WANT aftermarket rearsets!

I'm looking into them because of all the trouble I've read about with broken pegs due not only to weak bolts but casting as well, and during regular riding conditions (e.g., mid-corner, standing up to stretch legs, whatever). My dealer's Yamaha warranty guy flatly refuses to acknowledge a problem, despite my having shown him hard copies of many of your posts. Even if he did acknowledge, I'm sure Yam wouldn't do anything because I haven't had a failure...YET---and I'm not willing to gamble with my life for something stupid like a footpeg.

Since the stock riding position is PERFECT for me, what I want is a set of rearsets that will feel as close to exactly stock as possible, but be as durable as the stockers *should* have been. Not interested in adjustability or extra ground clearance (it's my streetbike only) and I really don't like round footpegs. I've seen how the Graves reposition the shift linkage, don't want that. I want the pegs to be in the exact same place they are on the stock rearsets.

Since it's a "mod" I didn't plan and don't want, price would also be a consideration, but I'm far more interested in getting quality parts than in saving money.

So, I'm new to the R1 and you guys are the experts. What are my options and what is your feedback on these options? Mine's an '03.

Many, many thanks in advance.

·
1 Sick Individual
3,106 Posts
If thats the only reason U want to change the rearsets. Dont bother. My peg bolts broke and I went to ACE hardware and got stronger bolts. I bought the strongest ones made in metric size. I have not had a single problem since. Cost was under $3.00. Save the money. If U must have some rearsets and the stock position is fine, get some Woodcrafts. They are the cheepest ones out there. www.2wheeljunkie.com
Vortex has a good pair that mount to stock position too. They are also pretty afordable.

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlueDevil said:
If U must have some rearsets and the stock position is fine, get some Woodcrafts.
Believe me, I would rather not. I would much rather go for the bolts, but I'm concerned about the few instances where the casting broke rather than the bolt.

Thanks for the links and info.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'd say just go with a stronger bolt/foot peg. I'm hoping to replace my bolts this weekend (thanks Earache)...

For my track bike, I'm considering going with the Gilles... But, I'm looking for extra ground clearence and a reverse shifting pattern... They seem to be the most affordable (buddy has them and they also seem top quality)...

- BA

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
jessromer said:
Check out Yamaha´s own rearset.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories/AcSCItemDetail.asp?lid=1&cid=1&mid=6&connavid=183&sconnavid=2025&Year=All&conid=5&pid=524

3 adjustments, including stock :D

But it looks like they only fit 98-02, should fit the 03 though.
So maybe Yamaha changed something to 03 to correct the problem anyway???

Good luck

:hellobye
I have these and they are poop!!
They funstion alright, but you have to take parts off of your stock rearsets and put them on these. Also when I assembled them as instructed the brake pedal was locked so I had to get a different washer and do some modification just to get them to function

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember reading a few cases here where it was the casting rather than the bolt that was at fault, so I don't know if I would feel comfortable just replacing the bolts. I read them here, but am having trouble finding the particular post again.

How about replacing the bolts AND the pegs (but not the actual rearsets)? Does this sound like a safe solution?

As for full-on rearsets, money considerations aside, the Attack rearsets look most like what I might go for, from what little information I can gather on them. They keep the shift linkage in its OE position, right? No bending or anything of the sort? Only question is, given all that adjustability, is one of those peg positions the same as stock?

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
the 'cases' or brackets should be fine - Ive seen several lay downs where the brackets would bend but never 'snap'. I dont think you have anything to worry about as far as the brackets go.

the factory pegs are pretty strong too, its just the peg bolts that keep breaking. if you dont trust the pegs, swap them AND the bolts together. bolts shouldnt be more that $1 ea and pegs can be found at any dealership or some of the forum sponsors' sites

·
Would you stay down
95 Posts
I have some Harris rearsets (harris-performance.com) on my 02 that, although are more expensive than you would probably want to spend, answer your question about position. I have them set at almost exactly standard settings (a friend has a standard 02 for comparison) for road riding but offer adjustments for track days. They fitted first time and the only down side is the gear linkage sits outside of the frame instead of passing thru it. The rod is black anodised so you wouldn't notice. Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff, its more likely to break than standard parts and doesn't give you benefit of moving positions for different types of riding.

·
My dog Banshee kicking ASS!!
1,123 Posts
Harris rearsets all the way. Gilles would be my second choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Given that the casting is known to break, bolts alone won't give me peace of mind. Every set of aftermarket rearsets I've researched has some characteristic that I consider unacceptable for $300-$500 I didn't want to spend in the first place.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used '03 R1?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What, no takers?

OK, I was frustrated when I wrote that, but I've calmed down now. I'm going to put stronger bolts in there.

8mmX30mm 1.25 pitch allen, right?

Aluminum? Recommended strength? Required torque?

Thanks again for all the helpful replies BTW.

·
1 Sick Individual
3,106 Posts
Yep Button head is the stock head style as well. Those sizes are right. Get nothing less then a metric 12 for strength. Stock is metric 8 if I remember correctly. I went to ACE hardware cause HomeDepot, Lowes all those chains only had bolts for wood at a metric 6 strength.

There is a torque setting in the R1 manual however, I torqued it a bit tighter cause it always seemed to wiggle loose......even with locktite.. BTW Make sure you locktite it on the tip of the threads only........other wise it will ooooooze out and interfear with the brake and shift levers. Make sure U get any extra that may oooze out off there. Believe me I learned the hard way. Going down the road my shift lever stuck. Arggg. Anyway good luck and Im sure U will be happy with the results. Takes less than 3.00 and 20 minutes to install.

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
If you want the strongest most functional rearsets that you can put in any position the Graves are the best hands down. My second choise is gilles...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I replaced the bolts today with 12.9's, you think this will be OK?

Had to go to the dealer as I didn't have the right bit for my torque wrench. Wanted to just use their tools but they said come on back and we'll do it together.

Those bolts were TIGHT. Tighter than they probably should have been, I think, even with the locktite. Spec is 20 ft-lbs. In fact, the right one was MUCH tighter than the left one. (Isn't it usually people's right pegs that are breaking more often? Hmm....) The right one was SO tight that the softer metal on the bracket got ground down trying to get it off, so that the peg was angled incorrectly, and now I have a new bracket on order at the dealer's expense.

They also managed to put a small scratch in the matte black paint on the swingarm. :( --- Their body guy is going to see what he can do, probably just touch it up with some flat black touch-up paint. He's good (have had him take out some pretty serious marks before, on other bikes), so I'm a little miffed but I'll live.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts