Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
I dropped a tooth in the front only. We have different year bikes so take that into consideration but the 1 tooth drop in the front made all the difference for me.

· Registered
651 Posts
I have a 2012 and was getting all my mods and tune next week so I was seeing what is the best setup. I was thinking 15front 45rear. what do all think
Most guys for the race track and street will go down 1 tooth on the front and up 2 teeth on the rear. This will give you quicker acceleration out of turns etc. But it will lower your overall top end speed by a little bit.

Look here, we have a couple of kits from Vortex that are very nice.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/parts/yamaha/yzf-r1/2012/sprockets-and-chain-kits

Also, a lot of guys will add a Healtech Speedo healer so that the odometer will be accurate after the gearing change.

Dave

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with that? Thats a pretty drastic change from stock and normally you go down in front and up in back so im not sure what going down in front and back will do. I'm no gearing expert so im really curious
There is more than 1 way to accomplish a set gear ratio.

I have 15/46 and it is very similar to 16/47 but with less rotational mass.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One2 my tuner said I think 15/45 is like -1 +1 I believe if I don't like it I will change to the rear 46. I have ecu flash graves slip on with cat delete, bmc filter, power commande 5, and one of the best tuners in the biz......

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
One2 my tuner said I think 15/45 is like -1 +1 I believe if I don't like it I will change to the rear 46. I have ecu flash graves slip on with cat delete, bmc filter, power commande 5, and one of the best tuners in the biz......
It is. They are both 3.00 ratio.

If you bumped up the rear to 46, you would be almost spot on with -1/+2 which is more aggressive than -1/+1

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
It will extend his wheelbase and maybe slowdown the handling.
Actually, it will shorten it just like it shortened mine. I struggle slightly to remove the chain from the sprocket now.

I cut quite a few links off the chain. It will stretch of course.

· Registered
232 Posts
Running -1/+2 on my 2003 it will wheelie at 60 MPH in third without any extra effort. Surprised me a bit when I hit the throttle! I went back to the stock front and it calmed it a bit. One thing I did not like was the speedo was so far off I had no clue how fast I was going. Now with the +2 on the back I did a run with my GPS and the speedo is 10-11% off, easy enough to figure my speed without buying a speedo healer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.