Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just recently got my 99 R1 about a month and a half ago and have been trying to learn wheelies. I can pop it up in first and can get second up no more than a foot. I am too worried about hurting my baby and was wondering if anyone knows of bike which is really good for learning stunts for cheap. 3000 or less. i have also thought about purchasing a dirt bike for learning to stunt, if anyone has any suggestions on what my best bet would be. any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much

shes too pretty to be put down

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
cbr900 and gsxr750 seem to be the most popular. Personally, I'd really like to get my hands on an older dirt bike to practice on. They certainly crash much cheaper...

- BA

·
ummmm.....adrenaline
442 Posts
Personally I would go with an older TL1000s. With the half faring, there is a lot less to break. You can't argue with the low end torq that the twin puts out. It will stand streight up instantly. And on top of all that they are dirt cheep.

·
ummmm.....adrenaline
442 Posts
hummmmm, well let me thik. Ummmmmmmmmm.................no. I have to love the low torq. It doesn't get any better than that. It is not that the CBR does not have it, it is just harder to get to so those that are trying to learn how to stunt would have a bit of an easier time on the TL. Also this all has to be taken into perspective that we are talking about liter bikes so the differences are not going to be night and day.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
I would say a old cbr900 that way you don't lose any sleep :hellobye

·
Powered By YamahaR1 Technology
2,340 Posts
i dunno about a naked bike like the tl1000s... something about crashing a bike with no plastic i guess.. wouldnt that mean you run the risk of damaging the engine??? nothing to protect it from hitting the ground.. even rashed plastic can be replaced. but what do you do for engine grind other then the cases??

IXI

·
Fun=Riding R1 or snowboarding
179 Posts
I'd get a Honda XR50. You can get them new around $800. If you can wheelie/rolling endo that bike a very long distance, you should have the skills and technique down to start learning on the R1. Plus the XR50 is a lot less cheaper to replace than your R1. Plus there is a big stunt scene evolving out of these little buggers.

·
Certified Beaver Hunter 02/03.
9 Posts

Dougy, everybody has differing opinions on this... some will say just stunt the bike you bought because thats what bikes are for... they are a luxury. Others will tell you to get a twin, others will say liter bike, others 900, others a 750... or some a dirt bike.

Personally I wouldn't buy a dirt bike... where are you going to practice? How are you going to get it there? Plus ripping wheelies on a small dirtbike is far different than a 1000cc sportbike. Sure you may still be "stunting" but I doubt it'll do you much good when you go to try the same stuff you've learned on your dirtbike - on your R1, it'll help, but you'll be FAR better off on a streetbike.

Instead, I would buy a bike that I can familiarize myself with that isn't too far off an R1. That way it feels similar when you go to stunt your R1. I would say an old, scratched up GSX-R750. Perhaps even moreso than a CBR900. The slightly less powerful 750 will be more foregiving and easier to learn on... it may not be the best stuntbike you can buy... but you can get it cheap and it should do the job. Even an older (and even cheaper) 600 would do the trick if you just want something to learn on. If your buying a stunt bike to keep... thats an entirely different thing. Save up and get the best stunt bike you can... but if your just learning and familiarizing yourself with stunting... get a small cheap streetbike - IMHO.

JR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts