Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· I miss my R1
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject states, I'm looking at going down to Indy this fall to catch the race weekend and am wondering where the best area to view the race is.

Any suggestions on hotels would be appreciated as well. Thinking of trailering the bikes down and then taking them down to the tail of the dragon, so I guess the hotel would need to be in a safe area with room for a vehicle + trailer.

· Lucky 13 X/O
1,178 Posts
If you can swing it, get the VIP package. Puts you in climate controlled boxes on the inside of the straight. you can go up to the roof and see over 1/2 the track (bring binoculars). Great food all day (steak, salmon, breakfast omllettes), drinks including alcohol. Lets you go directly behind the garages, other blocked off areas, special parking, and if you being your bikes, you get to to a parade lap (NOT a hot lap) on the track before Friday practice! Once in a lifetime event for me, but worth every penny!

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,149 Posts
Turn one penthouse....The Phantom guys usually do a shindig during the weekend one of the nights...

· I miss my R1
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As much as I'd love to, unfortunately there's just no way I can afford to swing the (roughly) $1,000 Canadian for the VIP pack (our dollar is in the shitter).

I've got roughly a grand to spend on the entire weekend, including getting there (still not sure whether I'm going to trailer the bikes, ride down, or just give up and fly. Oh, and I still need to pay for the hotel :p

Thanks for the tips so far

· Yamahaaa!!
388 Posts
My dad and I sat on the 2nd to highest row of turns 3/4, S Vista deck I believe it was called... you could see the end of the straightaway and essentially turns 1-5, our favorites being 3 and 4, which was where a LOT of the close action was at. It was my first MotoGP and I can definitely say I'll be going again. Bring sun-block and money for beer, and a stick to beat away all the Rossi fans. :D

· #cantstopwontstop
96 Posts
Best seats in the house, hands down, are right above the last turn. You can see (and more importantly HEAR) the whole front straight, and you get to see some sick competition in the final 5-6 corners.
It's a no-brainer in my book! :)

· I miss my R1
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after talking with the ticket folks at IMS, I ended up going for weekend general admission passes, a saturday paddock pass and Penthouse E for the race.

Thanks everyone for your help, maybe I'll see some of you there!

· I miss my R1
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And today I get an email from MotoGP.com saying that IMS over-sold the E penthouse, so the tickets MotoGP ordered in advance aren't being honored, so I'm being shuffled over to B Penthouse instead. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.