Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
My R1 and me is a love story
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

my upper EXUP cable just broke :shake

so i check the price over-here : $55 !!(for one cable) way to much.

so i want (for the moment) disable the EXUP
(let it full open or remove the butterfly)

so what the best option ?

1-
can i remove only the cable and butterfly

If i remove the butterfly, can i replace all thing back ? or i'm force the built a metal plate instead ?

2-
just remove the cable and let the butterfly inside ?
(is the spring is strong enough to let the butterfly open ? when we rev the engine ?)

thx a lot people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My exup cable snapped so I removed them and exup full assembly and fitted a solid plate over the hole. You need to leave exup servo motor plugged in so you dont get a fault

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx PCRR

so the question is: is that mandatory to remove the exup full assembly ?
or can i just remove the cables ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would have thought you could just remove cables and make sure valve is in open position but when I was waiting or new cables I removed all of it and fitted a metal blank plate.

·
2008 R1 US spec
181 Posts
You can lock the valve fully open with locking wire through the pulley wheel or you can remove all the parts except the gasket and the cover plate and block off the hole with a nut, bolt and 2 washers (which is what I did.

You can then remove the cables but leave the servo fitted otherwise you'll get a fault code.

Removing the valve does not seem to affect performance at all and as a discussion on this forum a few months ago proved, the valve's operating range is from 70% open at idle to fully open at just 3250 revs, so it doesn't really do much to the backpressure and can quite happily be left locked open or removed indefinitely.

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
tried to search that discussion, if you know its link could you link it here for me, or tell me the key word search cause i found a lot of exup removal and fixing faults but i would like to read the discussion you speak of!

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can lock the valve fully open with locking wire through the pulley wheel or you can remove all the parts except the gasket and the cover plate and block off the hole with a nut, bolt and 2 washers (which is what I did.

You can then remove the cables but leave the servo fitted otherwise you'll get a fault code.

Removing the valve does not seem to affect performance at all and as a discussion on this forum a few months ago proved, the valve's operating range is from 70% open at idle to fully open at just 3250 revs, so it doesn't really do much to the backpressure and can quite happily be left locked open or removed indefinitely.
Thx a lot Creedxup :thumbup i guess i will lock the vavle with one wire !

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voila !

i have done it the last week.

here how i manage to let the butterfly fully open and stay that way (of course this method is easy and not expensive :) )

(the picture is ugly because of the hard flash)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I never thought I would find someone else safety wire their exup valve open, I thought I was the only one. It works though

·
Registered
21 Posts
it almost completely closes when the bike is off, unless you can unplug the servo, open the servo motor cover and turn the cable push pull driver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
it almost completely closes when the bike is off, unless you can unplug the servo, open the servo motor cover and turn the cable push pull driver.
Hmm, my bike came with it deleted (been six years now) and the guy who sold it to me said it was permanently set to open when disconnected and he had left the servo in there to not throw a code. I never thought to fact check him and now after years of all year long PA riding, the retaining bolts are rusted to shit. It's so bad that even when I went to pull them off the other day the allen tool just stripped it out immediately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder how he permanently get it stuck open? I cant get my servo valve cover off because two bolts is seized and stripped, I just bend the cover open just enough room to put the safety wire. I took out the servo motor and plug in a servo buddy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts