Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
R1 - all others bow down !!!!
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get the suspension front and rear rebuilt and dialed in according to my weight and riding style. I checked around and decided on PPS which is in Anaheim off of the 91. Here is the link if anyone is interested....http://www.ppsracing.com/
I dropped the bike off today and spoke with stig for a bit regarding what I would like done. I should get it back next week so I'll let you know the results and the end cost. The cost for the front end is around 380 for new spring, new valving and rebuild. The rear needs a new spring and some adjustments. I will write a review when I get it back. Take care,
Jim

·
Where the hell am I?!
1,443 Posts
That's cool bro!

Only bad thing is, I wouldn't know what to have done to mine. :( So, I'd probably look like an a$$ taking it in and saying "okay, revalve and fix it, but I don't know what to have done". LOL

So, I should probably just stick with my stock stuff for now. At least with an MX bike I know what it should or shouldn't do. LOL I don't know with Street bikes yet. LOL

Let us know though!

·
Registered
175 Posts
R1_Demon said:
That's cool bro!

Only bad thing is, I wouldn't know what to have done to mine. :( So, I'd probably look like an a$$ taking it in and saying "okay, revalve and fix it, but I don't know what to have done". LOL

So, I should probably just stick with my stock stuff for now. At least with an MX bike I know what it should or shouldn't do. LOL I don't know with Street bikes yet. LOL

Let us know though!
This is a good read, and can help you set up your own suspension too how you want it. http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm#What is “suspension” all about

·
Banned
139 Posts
Jims2000R-1 said:
I decided to get the suspension front and rear rebuilt and dialed in according to my weight and riding style. I checked around and decided on PPS which is in Anaheim off of the 91. Here is the link if anyone is interested....http://www.ppsracing.com/
I dropped the bike off today and spoke with stig for a bit regarding what I would like done. I should get it back next week so I'll let you know the results and the end cost. The cost for the front end is around 380 for new spring, new valving and rebuild. The rear needs a new spring and some adjustments. I will write a review when I get it back. Take care,
Jim
So jimbo is going with the upgrades now huh... well then thats interesting news there jimbo...

guess what....

november 16th I get my new VIN
february 12th I get my new bike... hehehehe

shift red 2004 Yamaha YZF R-1

already paid for it... hehehehe

"envy is for the gods... and I am but a simple man....."

·
WUZ-UP !
4,367 Posts
Ohlins baby!!!!!!!!!!!my bike is stupid!!
I've learning trough trial and error,reading lots for years now and I gettting so I set my bike up to my liking.
I had race tech on my cbr 900 and it made a big difference,the bike railed in the corners,but the ohlins I put on my 1,WOW!!!!

·
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BRBJackson said:
Anxious to read your review, Jim. Sounds like Stig is the shizzle :rock
Bill, as I said .... I did a lot of research. Stig is a really nice guy and really knows his stuff. I should get it back next week so I will make sure to let you know. I can't wait to get it back. I am also going to put a new 180 M1 or Diablo tire on the rear also so I am sure I will have a constant woody during the first ride LOL.
Jim

·
WUZ-UP !
4,367 Posts
So did you get your bike back? If so how is it ????

·
Where the hell am I?!
1,443 Posts
Yaaaaaa....inquring minds want to know! LOL :dollar

·
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my bike back and all I can say is WOW. Stig is a really nice guy .... he goes out of his way to help in any way he can. I have only had a few chances to ride it .... the weather has been bad, school and midterms, and work. I rode it up the 79 and I noticed that it feels much, much firmer .... it does not squat when the throttle is applied. The bike feels really stable and firm in the courners ...... stays on a line perfect. I got the front and rear done for the same price or lower than buying a new rear shock. Here is some of the specs:

Forks:
Compression adjuster: 4
Rebound adjuster: 8
Spring: 95
Oil: 7 weight
Oil level: 120

Rear shock: C.5, R.6 ...Spring 9.3.

Stig told me that I will have a ton of adjustment in the front and rear .... He changed out the colar on the rear spring and now I have a little tool that I can use for easy adjustment. I need a new tire on the rear that I will be buying soon. I plan on doing lots of riding during the Thanks Giving holiday and will post an update.

Matt, You don't have to worry about know what things you want changed or what products you want. Stig will go over all of this with you. He asks you your weight, the type of riding you do, if you are going to the track etc.... He gives you some recommendations and believe me ...... he knows his shit. He will go out of his way to assist you and ensure that you are happy at the end. My experience with PPS was awesome ... professional.

It is also very nice to know that I now have the correct spring and suspension for my weight and riding style .... a real confidense boost. I will post again once I have had more time to ride.

Jim

·
Where the hell am I?!
1,443 Posts
Cool Jim,

Sounds awesome. :) I appreciate the update. Might be one of my future mods. Especially if I'm actually going to get into the track more often. I think it'll be worth it.

Sounds like Stig is very professional, but also very courtious to be able to explain what needs to be done. Did you set the rebound & compression clickers yourself or did he do it and then let you know what he set them to as a baseline?

I know when I got my MX suspension done, they set the clickers and then put a little sticky label on my forks indicating the baselines they set them at. Then you adjust for the track from there.

Too bad I'm going to Vegas for Thanksgiving otherwise I'd definitely shoot down there and ride with you. :(

Have fun bro and keep us posted! :thumbup

·
WUZ-UP !
4,367 Posts
Congats dude!!!! Sounds great! I heard a lot of good things about PRS !:bow :beer :thumbup

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Jim,

Did Stig mention how a rear shock rebuild compares to an aftermarket unit?

I've been thinking of getting a Penske or Ohlins for the rear and having PPS rebuild the stock front forks. But, I'd rather save the money if a rebuild is somewhat comparable.

Also, did he mention anything about the usefulness of an aftermarket suspension linkage?

·
6,235 Posts
I am getting brand new suspension. Not sure if you heard of them but www.wemi.se . Wilberg Racing Suspension. Rated comparable to the Öhlins. Good thing to be sponsored. :D

·
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zippy said:
Jim,

Did Stig mention how a rear shock rebuild compares to an aftermarket unit?

I've been thinking of getting a Penske or Ohlins for the rear and having PPS rebuild the stock front forks. But, I'd rather save the money if a rebuild is somewhat comparable.

Also, did he mention anything about the usefulness of an aftermarket suspension linkage?
I told him that I was thinking about a Penske but the price was the problem. He told me he could rebuild mine and it would work great. I suggest you call him .... he is a really friendly guy and tells it like it is. He will spend the time with you. You can mention me. I told him that I would post on 3-4 different boards. I have not been able to ride it a good distance but the time I have spent on it ..... is amazing .... it just feels so firm, stable and I could not be happier. Getting both done cost me less than the price of an ohlins rear shock. Give him a call and discuss your options.
Jim

·
Where the hell am I?!
1,443 Posts
Hey there Jim,

thanks for the review and update bro. Hopefully we can maybe go for a ride again soon! I'd like to see how that suspension performs. Since I'll be racing WSMC in 2004, I'm seriously considering getting the front and rear suspension done on my bike. I'm not good enough to pay for aftermarket stuff, so just as long as someone good can respring & revalve my stock stuff, that'll be good enough for me right now, but it will probably be a major plus over the stock stuff internally.

So, we'll see what goes, but I appreciate your input and info. Hopefully in Jan or Feb I can afford it. So, I take it that it was around $800-$900 to get the front and rear revalved & resprung? If you don't want to post the pricing, can you PM it to me? Just a general idea because I have to know what I"m in for. I'd hate to take it in and find out it's $1500 after he does the work and I'm screwed. LOL

Cya,
Mat

·
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R1_Demon said:
Hey there Jim,

thanks for the review and update bro. Hopefully we can maybe go for a ride again soon! I'd like to see how that suspension performs. Since I'll be racing WSMC in 2004, I'm seriously considering getting the front and rear suspension done on my bike. I'm not good enough to pay for aftermarket stuff, so just as long as someone good can respring & revalve my stock stuff, that'll be good enough for me right now, but it will probably be a major plus over the stock stuff internally.

So, we'll see what goes, but I appreciate your input and info. Hopefully in Jan or Feb I can afford it. So, I take it that it was around $800-$900 to get the front and rear revalved & resprung? If you don't want to post the pricing, can you PM it to me? Just a general idea because I have to know what I"m in for. I'd hate to take it in and find out it's $1500 after he does the work and I'm screwed. LOL

Cya,
Mat
Mat,
You are looking at between 800-1000. I think that Stig cut me a really good deal so I don't want to post the price. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to discuss the price, options, your intended use, weight, parts and anything else. Just give him a call ... you can tell him that you spoke with me and would like a similar setup. It is money well spent .... I believe more than spending money on trying to gain more HP by adding a pipe, Power Commander etc... The bike was not designed for people over the weight of 160 or so ...... you will notice a big difference the first time you just sit on it after getting the suspension done. It feels really firm and stable. Remember it takes about 10 days or so for him to work on it and you must discuss having him keep it in his shop. I have not had the time to really test it yet .... to much school, work etc.... but I will get it up to Palomar for a test and let you know the results.
If you have any other questions let me know and I will try and help.
Jim

·
Where the hell am I?!
1,443 Posts
Wow, 10 days eh? Ewwwww...I'd have to drive my truck to work and back for 10 days...now that will suck! :(

However, I'm sure it will be worth it when I get the bike back. :D

I appreciate the info bro...totally cool!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts